PDA

View Full Version : How to clean....SG Cabin Air Filter

mr turbo
19th April 2009, 03:54 AM
I decided to clean the Cabin Air Filter today as it was waaaay over due to be done. :rolleyes:
First empty the glove box (it's amazing all the crap you seem to put & have in there) :huh: Now with the glove box open, you'll find 7x screws that need to be taken out (5x inside & 2x outside)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3452/img7710.jpg

Once thats done, there's 1x more screw you'll need to take out so that you can get the filter out.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4961/img7712s.jpg

Then carefully unclip the front cover that holds the filter in place & slide it out.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5412/img7726c.jpg

As you can see, it's slightly dirty (understatement of the year) :p

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6862/img7717.jpg

So after a nice good clean, it's ready to be put back in.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/329/img7722x.jpg

Now you just slide it back into place, making sure that the arrow's facing up & put the front cover back on.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/102/img7724y.jpg

Then put the 7x screws back in (but don't forget the single screw (pic 2) that was holding the relay on the inside aswell) & you're done. It's that easy.
All up it should only take you about 15mins or so to do. :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

apsilon
19th April 2009, 06:18 AM
Hmm, wonder if this could be where the rattle is coming from in my parents MY06. It's on that side behind the dash I think. Worht checking out and cleaning the filter at the same time. Thanks for the pics.

eden
19th April 2009, 08:27 AM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6862/img7717.jpg

hahahahahahaha:lol: the things you can do when you get the week off:poke:

mr turbo
19th April 2009, 08:50 AM
the things you can do when you get the week off:poke:
But now the party's over, as its back to work tomorrow. :catfight:
However on a brighter note, at least I can breath better in the Forry now. :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

eden
19th April 2009, 09:01 AM
its funny you know, last time i saw your air intake filter it was in the same condition:lol::lol::lol:

carljwnc
19th April 2009, 09:06 AM
However on a brighter note, at least I can breath better in the Forry now. :ebiggrin:

I noticed a BIG difference in the climate control efficiency when I cleaned my cabin filter, it was dirty, but not that dirty.

Excellent write up mr turbo!!!:)

mr turbo
19th April 2009, 09:10 AM
Yes I know :redface: :redface:
Strange thing that, it must be a filter thing with me :rotfl:

Regards
Mr Turbo

07OregonOutback
21st April 2009, 04:36 PM
Just think if you didn't have that filter at all though.. Just shows ya what we are breathing in every day. :eek:

Funny coincidence.. A co-worker just walked up to me while I was writing this and showed me a nasty cab a/f that was just caked in dust and dirt. Maybe a sign I should go check mine? :)

silver
21st April 2009, 11:46 PM
If you take your car to a dealer for schedule services watch out for this rip off. Could be in the 50,000k service. They charge quite a bit to replace this filter,i have a memory of $75 or thereabouts.
It's a flimsy bit of gear and certainly not worth 5 times the price of an oil filter.

mr turbo
22nd April 2009, 05:24 AM
Just think if you didn't have that filter at all though.. Just shows ya what we are breathing in every day. :eek:
You're not wrong about that.

If you take your car to a dealer for schedule services watch out for this rip off.
You're not wrong about that silver. When I had my last service done, they asked me if I wanted them to change it. So I asked them how much & they told me it would be about $90 or so :eek: :surprised:
My reply to them was no thanks, not for that price, what do you think I am.. stupid :huh:
So I told them shove it, I'll do it myself :raspberry: :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Elmy
22nd April 2009, 08:02 AM
Do all cars with aircondition have that filter?
I have A/C and I never looked after that filter.

eden
22nd April 2009, 08:46 AM
i would say so

mr turbo
22nd April 2009, 09:00 AM
Thats a good question. I'm not sure mate. :shrug:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Elmy
22nd April 2009, 09:02 AM
I checked my car. I could not find it :shrug:

carljwnc
22nd April 2009, 10:56 AM

I know in the US it was an option on some models, the cars will have the box for the filter but no filter unless you paid for the option.

lefty
26th December 2011, 01:10 PM
for the SG foresters this is about the cheapest
http://www.logical-source.com/2003-SUBARU-FORESTER-2915.html
great value as a group buy for Aussies as postage costs come down by quite a bit

mr turbo
26th December 2011, 01:45 PM
for the SG foresters this is about the cheapest
http://www.logical-source.com/2003-SUBARU-FORESTER-2915.html
great value as a group buy for Aussies as postage costs come down by quite a bit
Great find lefty :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Heathbar
1st January 2012, 01:43 PM
have you guys tried buying a cheap air/engine filter, cutting it to size and maybe even trying to save the plastic outer of the old original filter?
I know this was a common work around for the expensive toyota filters years back. good luck and Happy New Year

Ratbag
4th January 2012, 07:36 AM
Gidday All

As soon as I read about this filter - along with the "Remove 7 screws holding glove box in place" - I just knew, in my heart of hearts, that this had never been done in 101,000 kms. Let alone every 12,500 kms.

My MY06 Forester XS is quite different from the other ones illustrated previously in this thread ...

One casual glance at the glove box retaining screws told me that they had never had a Philips head near them since new.

Of course, the manual says nothing whatsoever about the two clips that also hold the glove box assembly in position ... After a lifetime of repairing/building computers etc, I am always on the lookout for little 'traps' like this. These are designed for removal/replacement, rather than to break at the first sign of stress :iconwink:. Pull the outside edge of the glove box assembly straight out towards the rear of the car and these will disengage quite easily. Remove the entire glove box assembly.

I then followed the manual's instruction about removal of the filter.

Those nice photos of "blocked" filters weren't quite what greeted me.
On the inlet side there was not the slightest sign of the accordion profiled filter element. In fact, it looked exactly like a seedling planting punnet ... Dead flat across the top. Grey gudge.

Also knowing in my heart of hearts what dear old Subaru charge for these things, I immediately dropped into "watchmaker mode" (since discovered that they "only" charge $69.95 for these ... ).

Carefully vacuumed out what I could (precious little ... ).

Out with my Father-in-Laws denture brush (inherited, he is RIP) and very carefully brushed out what I could without using excessive force.

Out with my computer tool kit and the various old toothbrushes, pipe cleaners etc. These helped to loosen or dislodge some more of the recalcitrant lumps and bits.

Vacuumed again.

Some bits really, really wanted to stay there ...

Picks these bits out carefully with fine tweezers.

Vacuumed again.

Now the air filter was recognisable.

Tapped it on the concrete a few times to dislodge more of the fine dirt that was still clogging it. Important to keep the filter flat on to the concrete with the inlet side facing the concrete when you do this. Striking at an angle risks breaking the frame, which could have become quite fragile.

Vacuumed again.

Starting to get clean :)!

Now gently attack the accordion pleats with a fine toothbrush. Be careful not to push the bristles through the fabric.

Tap on concrete again a few times.

Vacuumed again.

When you can see evenly through the whole filter when held up to the light it is about clean enough IMO.

DO NOT WASH THE FILTER. This will cause microfine dirt and dust to adhere more strongly to the fabric of the filter.

I then "sacrificed" a surplus vacuum cleaner bag by cutting both ends off it. Carefully remove the inner microfine particle filter from the more robust outer paper case.

Measure out the size required to act as a primary filter on the inlet side of the OEM accordion filter. I figured that if the A/C was working with the totally blocked filter I had to begin with (it was ... ), a minor impediment like a pre-filter would not do anything except help preserve the expensive Subaru part from becoming terminally blocked again. It had no effect on the final efficacy of the A/C system once reassembled.

I then placed this on top of the OEM filter and carefully slid it back into place. If you find this hard to do (it is a bit iffy if one is a bit cack-handed with these things), just use some sticky tape to hold it in position.

Shut the cover.

Then refit the glove box by engaging the two retaining clips, then carefully aligning all seven screws in the holes and starting them on their thread. When all are in place, tighten them all to reasonable tightness (about one foot/pound torque - a bit tighter than finger tight ... ). Don't get too vigorous with this or you will strip the threads.

Can't speak for what others may find, but my A/C roughly doubled in efficacy ... :) :ebiggrin: and :cool:.

The whole process took me about 90 minutes (the filter was originally in throw-away condition ... ). This translates to a saving to me of around $50 an hour :biggrin:.

Hope this drivel helps someone else.

mr turbo
4th January 2012, 08:20 AM
Great write up Ratbag :)
I know what you mean by the A/C working better once it's done too :poke:

If I may add, once you have removed the glove box (on my MY05 anyway) you will have to remove 1x more screw. This screw is holding a relay in place, that blocks you from getting the filter out.

It's the 2nd pic in post #1 of when I first did mine :iconwink:

Regards
Mr Turbo

dirtyRU
4th January 2012, 02:55 PM
hahaha, i'm surprised you didn't have a tree sprouting up in that filter, Mr Turbo! Great write up, i'm glad you put this up. Now i will need to check out mine...

Kevin
4th January 2012, 04:53 PM
. Vacuumed off the loose crap but then just held it under the outside tap at full bore to clean out all the rest. Anyway...

That's what I have done several times, i.e. one filter since 2003.

. I also had to remove a switch/relay which was mounted on the left hand side of the "behind the glovebox area" and stopped me from sliding the filter out. Anyway else have this?

Several of us have this.

Ratbag
4th January 2012, 06:48 PM
Gidday Mr T

Great write up Ratbag :)

Thank you, Kind Sir.
I have spent a lot of time writing instructions for clients in a number of fields I have worked in ...

I know what you mean by the A/C working better once it's done too :poke:

If I may add, once you have removed the glove box (on my MY05 anyway) you will have to remove 1x more screw. This screw is holding a relay in place, that blocks you from getting the filter out.

It's the 2nd pic in post #1 of when I first did mine :iconwink:

Regards
Mr Turbo

I had forgotten that item. I have an excuse, Officer, I am a member of SOFA - Silly Old Farts Association ... :lol:.

It didn't impress me either, and after I checked the clearances, I relocated that relay to another pre-drilled hole on the front of that strut (i.e. facing rearwards into the cabin). Never have to touch that bit again ...

The MY06 is quite different from your piccies. Easier to get at IMO, apart from the silly relay placement. The filter cover just flips out of the way and is normally retained in its in-service position by a flap/housing clip that's moulded into both. No screws.

Ratbag
4th January 2012, 07:00 PM
Gidday iTool

If only you'd posted this 24 hours earlier!!

I literally cleaned mine yesterday afternoon... same deal as you, looked like it had never been touched. Vacuumed off the loose crap but then just held it under the outside tap at full bore to clean out all the rest. Anyway...

Don't lose any sleep over it mate :cool:. Just wash it under a less powerful stream next time. Too hard may cause the filter to tear.

It is a "counsel of perfection". Water, and some other solvents like turps, make microfine particles adhere the way paint does. Vinyl LPs can be 'wet played' once for recording purposes, then they are stuffed for any further dry playing.

HOWEVER, the flaming thing's an air filter - NOT a Swiss watch :iconwink:.

Washing it under the tap probably does more good than any harm it might do ...

Definitely noticed a increase in "air velocity" coming through my vents, even without the aircon on.

I also had to remove a switch/relay which was mounted on the left hand side of the "behind the glovebox area" and stopped me from sliding the filter out. Anyway else have this? (black rectangular box held on to metal support with a single phillips head screw, had a wiring harness plugged in to it)

Me too. I re-located it. See my reply to Mr T.

Ratbag
4th January 2012, 07:34 PM
Gidday Kevin

That's what I have done several times, i.e. one filter since 2003.

... about the relay ...

Several of us have this.

Good to know that this can be done repeatedly. Just did some quick calcs in my head (maybe not the best place?), and changing this filter for a new one at $69.95 each makes the things nearly as costly as tyres!

Should cost about $10.

I checked the RYCO site pretty thoroughly yesterday and found a reference to the part, but nothing when I clicked on the link to the URL :(.

Anyone know if these are available as after-market parts? And how much?

Barry
4th January 2012, 09:14 PM
Anyone doing this to an 05 Outback will find that they need to remove the entire panel behind the glovebox.
The later years of the 05-09 have a removable panel section.
The 05 has the 'outline' of the section on the panel, but looks like actually making the 2 separate parts was something that Subaru 'forgot' in the initial model run.
I cleaned mine out after we got back from Cameron Corner in Jan 2009. Prob time to do again...

NachaLuva
5th January 2012, 12:24 AM
Water, and some other solvents like turps, make microfine particles adhere the way paint does. Vinyl LPs can be 'wet played' once for recording purposes, then they are stuffed for any further dry playing.

Showing your age hehehe. Nowadays vinyl is only used for hiphop lol :lol:

Anyone doing this to an 05 Outback will find that they need to remove the entire panel behind the glovebox.

I am so glad mine was so easy to access under the glovebox.

Would be interested if anyone can find an aftermarket filter...mines been removed at some time...

PS: Ratbag, can you please use your instruction writing skills to explain how you use multiple quotes from the one post?

mr turbo
5th January 2012, 01:50 AM
PS: Ratbag, can you please use your instruction writing skills to explain how you use multiple quotes from the one post?
If you want to multiple quote from one post just put [ quote ] [ /quote ] without the spaces at the front & at the end of each part that you want to quote :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Ratbag
5th January 2012, 02:30 AM
G'day again NL & Mr T

Showing your age hehehe. Nowadays vinyl is only used for hiphop lol :lol:

I can record an LP to an analog CDR/RW from my high quality stereo gear, then use my computer to re-master this onto a CDR. These are often higher quality than commercially re-mastered CDRs. Two reasons for this:
I take a lot of care, and have very good gear; and
The commercial ones are often dubbed at high speed rather than in real time. This can cause serious quality degradation.
I also have quite a collection of LPs, some of which cannot be obtained at all on CDRs ...

I am so glad mine was so easy to access under the glovebox.

Would be interested if anyone can find an aftermarket filter...mines been removed at some time...

I will keep looking. Obviously it wouldn't hurt every now and then to replace this filter with a new one ... Just not every 12,500 kms at $69.95 a pop! :iconwink:.

I'll try. See below.

If you want to multiple quote from one post just put [ quote ] [ /quote ] without the spaces at the front & at the end of each part that you want to quote :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks Mr T.

An easier way may be to:
Use the "QUOTE" button at the top of the edit window, between the Insert Piccy icon and the "#" code tags icon, to insert a pair of quote/unquote control characters where you want to break the post.
Put a SPACE in between them so that you can select and move the first one to after the second one. This effectively terminates the first part of the quoted message and re-starts it after the second QUOTE control character.
Insert the text you want to write in between, with appropriate ENTER chars for clarity.
You can do this as often as you like for clarity.
You can also do this when you are multi-quoting messages.
While an almost complete newbie here, I have made probably well over a 1,000 posts on vBulletin powered boards; and well over 10,000 on other types of boards.
Even I have learned the odd trick or two from all that crap I have written ... :rotfl:.

mr turbo
5th January 2012, 06:44 AM
Good to know that this can be done repeatedly. Just did some quick calcs in my head (maybe not the best place?), and changing this filter for a new one at $69.95 each makes the things nearly as costly as tyres!

You might like to try these guys. Here (http://www.logical-source.com/2007-SUBARU-FORESTER-2915.html)
Even with postage included, it still costs less than half that :)

Nachaluva I couldn't find one for your model from these guys, Here (http://www.logical-source.com/)
but it might be worth sending them an e-mail to them just to check :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Ratbag
5th January 2012, 07:33 AM
Gidday Mr T

Gidday Kevin

... about the relay ...

Should cost about $10.

I checked the RYCO site pretty thoroughly yesterday and found a reference to the part, but nothing when I clicked on the link to the URL :(.

You might like to try these guys. Here (http://www.logical-source.com/2007-SUBARU-FORESTER-2915.html)
Even with postage included, it still costs less than half that :)

Nachaluva I couldn't find one for your model from these guys, Here (http://www.logical-source.com/)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks for that.
If one buys them as a ten pack instead of one off, the price drops from about US$20 each to about US$13.85 each - P&H included in both cases ... Very significant saving ...

dirtyRU
5th January 2012, 10:20 PM
Dug into my '99 & took out the glovebox finally, no filter. :(

Ratbag
5th January 2012, 10:53 PM
G'day again Matt

Dug into my '99 & took out the glovebox finally, no filter. :(

They are available from here in the USA:

https://www.logical-source.com/2006-SUBARU-FORESTER-2915.html

AND at least you are on the "right" continent for minimal shipping cost.

Seems that the postage & handling drops astronomically (to Australia ... ) if one buys 4 or more. Sorry for the precision, a lifetime of doing cost accounting rears its ugly head now and again :rotfl:.

After the crap I have seen clogging up the ventilation fan in Roo1 (no filter provision at all), I reckon that this is one of the best ideas ever! Being an asthmatic (along with everything else ... ), it seems to me that this filter can do nothing but help, AND keeps one from sharing one's car with bees and such like that can cause me serious grief too!

dirtyRU
5th January 2012, 11:22 PM
Well actually what i meant to say is that there is no spot whatsoever for a filter to go. Nothing at all underneathe like Rallys & no place for anything to slide out behind the glove box like in Mr Turbo's pics. As cedar season is in full swing, I would love nothing more than to have some fresh air!

Ratbag
5th January 2012, 11:34 PM
Hey Matt

Well actually what i meant to say is that there is no spot whatsoever for a filter to go. Nothing at all underneathe like Rallys & no place for anything to slide out behind the glove box like in Mr Turbo's pics. As cedar season is in full swing, I would love nothing more than to have some fresh air!

I suspected you may have meant that after I posted ...

Same with Roo1 (1993 Impreza). Every now and again I would get a face full of crap from the fascia vents ...

Could you construct something to take a filter?
Or cut the air intake tube and insert something cut to size? Then make a collar to hold the filter in place and reconnect the duct?

Two coffee can bottoms with a filter between them might do the trick? Something that would fit the air intake duct and allow removal and refitting of a filter. 100 mm sewer pipe or 90 mm storm water pipe might work better, and both have a variety of collars and joiners available for hitching up to the existing inlet duct. I have a dew cap on one of my telescopes that is constructed entirely out of old sewer pipe bits ... :iconwink:.

Wouldn't have to be fancy. After all, not like it's part of the fuel system or whatever ... Just needs to stop the big bits blowing in your eyes and face.

I suspect finding an appropriate size filter, then building a housing to fit would be the right order of things.

NachaLuva
6th January 2012, 12:44 AM

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks Mr.T

If you want to multiple quote from one post just put without the spaces at the front & at the end of each part that you want to quote :)
?

Regards
Mr TurboThanks again :ebiggrin:

An easier way may be to:

Use the "QUOTE" button at the top of the edit window, between the Insert Piccy icon and the "#" code tags icon, to insert a pair of quote/unquote control characters where you want to break the post.
Put a SPACE in between them so that you can select and move the first one to after the second one. This effectively terminates the first part of the quoted message and re-starts it after the second QUOTE control character.
Insert the text you want to write in between, with appropriate ENTER chars for clarity.
You can do this as often as you like for clarity.
You can also do this when you are multi-quoting messages.

While an almost complete newbie here, I have made probably well over a 1,000 posts on vBulletin powered boards; and well over 10,000 on other types of boards.
Even I have learned the odd trick or two from all that crap I have written ... :rotfl:.Ok I'll try this too

Thanks guys :biggrin:

mr turbo
6th January 2012, 12:56 AM
Looks like you've got the hang of it Nachaluva :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Ratbag
6th January 2012, 01:20 AM
G'day Mr T & NL

Regards
Mr Turbo

Looks that way ... :rotfl:.

NachaLuva
6th January 2012, 01:36 AM
G'day Mr T & NL

Looks that way ... :rotfl:.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Haha, guess it'll take practise lol :biggrin:

Found this on the site mentioned for replacement cabin air filters... air filter for a EJ25. Only prob is the price... Price: $1,148.85

http://www.logical-source.com/1998-SUBARU-FORESTER.html (http://www.logical-source.com/1998-SUBARU-FORESTER.htmlThat)

That better be one helluva filter!!! :rotfl:

Ratbag
6th January 2012, 01:46 AM
G'day again NL

Haha, guess it'll take practise lol :biggrin:

Found this on the site mentioned for replacement cabin air filters... air filter for a EJ25. Only prob is the price... Price: $1,148.85

http://www.logical-source.com/1998-SUBARU-FORESTER.html (http://www.logical-source.com/1998-SUBARU-FORESTER.htmlThat)

I sent them an email about it this AM. Keyboard bounce on the "1", I reckon ...

mr turbo
6th January 2012, 01:48 AM
Found this on the site mentioned for replacement cabin air filters... air filter for a EJ25. Only prob is the price... Price: $1,148.85I noticed that too :twisted:
You're not wrong :lol:

Regards
Mr Turbo

lefty
14th April 2013, 10:05 AM
It's been a while but there are now dirt (pun intended) cheap replacement cabin filters on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cabin-Air-Pollen-Odors-Filter-for-Subaru-Forester-05-08-Impreza-generation6-7-8-/181029685878?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2635ca76

or if you prefer to support an aussie seller
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cabin-Pollen-Air-Filter-G3010-SA000-Subaru-Forester-/181102183062?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AForester&hash=item2a2a880296

Dulagarl
17th April 2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks Lefty. I might get round to buying one of those.

I got sick of the interior of my vehicle getting so dusty, so I made one!

haven't got a pic, but I cut some of that green plastic garden lattice to double the size, folded it in half and wedged some vacuum cleaner filter material in the middle like a sandwich. To hold it in position in the lattice grid I got some fine hairpins, shoved em through here and there, twisted them and cut off the excess. Cost me about $2. Seems to work OK.

havachat
19th April 2013, 10:31 AM
A very good thread. Checked the filter in my 2004. You could have planted stuff in it :lol:
As Ratbag did you have to brush it vac it tap it to get it clean.

Checked the 2002 nothing there , it was obvious that the glove box had been removed several times. Presume the filter was beyond being cleaned. $69 for a replacement is a bit much from Subaru !

Not surprisingly the fan was full of rubbish. I ended dropping the fan out to get all the rubbish out. It runs a lot quieter now too.

lefty
26th April 2013, 06:44 AM
I bought the cheap one on 14/4 and it arrived today and it's actually the genuine OEM for less than $8 delivered , no need to bother with cleaning from now on

mr turbo
26th April 2013, 07:44 AM
Thats fantastic :ebiggrin:

So fantastic in fact, I just finished ordering one for myself :raz:

Thanks for the tip lefty :yourock:

Regards
Mr Turbo

mr turbo
3rd May 2013, 05:51 AM
So fantastic in fact, I just finished ordering one for myself :raz:
Mine arrived today (only 7 days) & is an OEM too :woohoo:
Not bad for just $8 including delivery I say :monkeydance:

Regards
Mr Turbo

NachaLuva
3rd May 2013, 06:54 AM
It's been a while but there are now dirt (pun intended) cheap replacement cabin filters on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cabin-Air-Pollen-Odors-Filter-for-Subaru-Forester-05-08-Impreza-generation6-7-8-/181029685878?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2635ca76

$8 incl postage :biggrin:

It says its for SG also Impreza gen 6 7 & 8...does anyone know if it will fit an SF Foz?

The other one says it "may" fit an SF but its $30 all up :(

mr turbo
3rd May 2013, 07:30 AM
I'm fairly sure it will, but not 100% though.

My one measures W 217mm x L 200mm x H 30mm (40mm including the plastic frame) if thats any help.

Regards
Mr Turbo

NachaLuva
3rd May 2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks Mr.T, I'll measure my filter compartment tomorrow