PDA

View Full Version : Front Oxygen Sensor, P0032, O2 Sensor

carljwnc
7th April 2009, 11:59 AM
Apologies for the thread title, just wanted to make sure folks using the good 'ol search feature could find it.

...so what happens when the wife puts off getting the state inspection done until it's a few days from being due??? The 'ol Check Engine Light (CEL) rears it's ugly head.:evil: Fortunately, most of the auto parts houses around here will pull your codes for free. A trip up to Advance Auto Parts shows a code of P0032, Sensor 1, Bank 1, ie. Front Oxygen Sensor. No biggie, unplug and unscrew the old one, screw and plug in the new one....right:lol:. Access is tight and you need an O2 Sensor wrench (split to get around the wire and an off-set to get inside the heat shield), Advance to the rescue again, they will loan you the tools for free, you just pay for them and bring 'em back when your done. The set came with three sockets, my weapon of choice...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/terrapondus/Blubaru/P4060020.jpg
In the US, the sensor is located on the passenger side, right below the front axle. Follow the yellow wire, which you also need to unplug...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/terrapondus/Blubaru/P4060010.jpg
I got Blubaru up in the air safely on jack stands, you could probably do it on the ground but it would be tight. Here is the location from under the car...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/terrapondus/Blubaru/P4060011.jpg
I found the best way to get the wrench on the sensor was to drop it in from the top after getting it around the wire, then positioning the wrench on the hex. You can only get a very small part of a turn at a time, but once you get it cracked loose you should be able to unscrew it by hand. I did soak it with penetrating lube for a while before I went to work. The other thing I did was disconnect the battery to reset the ECU (needs to be off for a half hour at least). Wrench on the sensor...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/terrapondus/Blubaru/P4060017.jpg
So you got the old one out, where do you get a new one??? Ben @ Hodges Subaru (http://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=207) of course. My local dealer wanted $170, Ben got it to me, shipping included for under $130.
Old and new...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/terrapondus/Blubaru/P4060019.jpg
The sensors have a crush washer, as soon as you get it crushed it's tight enough. I was able to feel when this was done. Plug it in, reconnect the battery the evil CEL is off and your good to go!!!
This sensor does help to control the air/fuel ratio, I read somewhere that Subaru actually recommends replacing them every 60 k mi, hopefully I'll be able to report back soon with improved MPG which has been suffering for quite some time (Blubaru now has 96k). Blubaru is an '03 X, and this should be the same for any of the SG N/A vehicles, the turbos are different. Peaty has a good write up on www.scoobymods.com (http://www.scoobymods.com) for the turbos.

Hope this can be helpful, :bananatoast:y'all!!!

Kevin
7th April 2009, 07:34 PM
well done Carl! They are a bit awkward to get at aren't they?

simxs
8th April 2009, 01:25 AM
Great write-up and pics - thanks Carl!

Does the car drive any better?

Bumper
8th April 2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah, really good write up. I just wish I had a clue what it's all about:redface::shrug:

I thought I was being a tech genius by changing my oil! :lol:

Apparently, grasshopper still has a lot to learn...

mr turbo
8th April 2009, 05:49 AM
Top write up Carl. :yourock:

There's some great info there mate. Well done mate. :discomonkey:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Kevin
8th April 2009, 07:52 AM
Great write-up and pics - thanks Carl!

Does the car drive any better?

Nah - his wife is still driving it :lol:

(Sorry Laurie!)

carljwnc
8th April 2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks Folks!!!:)

I think the car is running a bit smoother and starting just a bit quicker than it was, very subtle. The wife doesn't really notice a difference. The big test will be to see if we get better MPG over the next couple of tanks. Main thing is the CEL is off.

Something I should add, you need anti-seize on the threads, I read somewhere that you need to use anti-seize that is compatible with O2 sensors, mine came with it already on the threads, but if you get one that doesn't, make sure the anti-seize you get is compatible.

carljwnc
8th April 2009, 08:00 AM
Nah - his wife is still driving it :lol:

(Sorry Laurie!)

Don't make me show her this!!!:lol:

carljwnc
31st May 2009, 09:00 AM
Been meaning to update this...

Was hoping for a big jump in MPG after changing this sensor, but no, didn't happen.:sad: It is a bit better than it has been, just a mi. or two more out of a gallon. Still, better than nothing.:)

mr turbo
31st May 2009, 10:00 AM
Was hoping for a big jump in MPG after changing this sensor, but no, didn't happen.:sad: It is a bit better than it has been, just a mi. or two more out of a gallon. Still, better than nothing.:)
Thats a little surprising :confused: but as you say, anythings better than nothing. :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Tinga_Dinga
15th March 2010, 11:26 PM
$5 dollar fix?

Paulo
23rd March 2011, 04:51 AM
How much are these new? have any of you aussies bought one.. if so what kind and what did you pay?

simxs
23rd March 2011, 06:06 AM
Bought one a few weeks ago from Subaru in Lindfield, NSW - $600.

Searched for a cheaper aftermarket one but no luck. Could only find aftermarket rear ones, not front.

eden
23rd March 2011, 07:02 AM
Bought one a few weeks ago from Subaru in Lindfield, NSW - $600.

Searched for a cheaper aftermarket one but no luck. Could only find aftermarket rear ones, not front.
WHAT? $600 that cant be right?

Paulo
28th March 2011, 02:16 AM
Yeah thats what i got quoted for one from subaru... what a rip!

I went the cheap option and got one from a wrecker (sun spares) for $200. I'll probably have to pay twice when it dies in 6 months time.

eden
28th March 2011, 02:49 AM
Simxs, Paulo just looked on ebay, $52-$158 + postage brand new from OS. for a 2002 forester about the same for my OB

Paulo
28th March 2011, 11:22 PM
Are they the same for the later Ej25 engines? See any later model ones on there.. thats way cheaper!

troyXT
2nd April 2011, 08:36 AM
I got mine from japanparts.com a few years ago was unser $200 AU and I'm sure it would be cheaper now (~$155) if this is the one you are after. This was for an XT though.

http://japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=34359

http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?KEYWORD=&dealer=1&car=11&middlesmall=1%3A14&maker=5&VOLKEY=

Lost Hoosier
11th March 2012, 05:03 PM
Alright, my wife's 2003 Forester got the CEL with the P0032 code, so I changed the sensor then reset the CEL, but it came right back on with the same error code. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Gus

Kevin
11th March 2012, 05:41 PM
Wrong sensor perhaps?

Welcome aboard Gus!

mr turbo
12th March 2012, 03:44 AM
G'day Lost Hoosier & :welcome: to ORS.

Apart from what Kevin said, I can't think of anything else. Sorry mate.

Regards
Mr Turbo

carljwnc
12th March 2012, 07:23 AM
Alright, my wife's 2003 Forester got the CEL with the P0032 code, so I changed the sensor then reset the CEL, but it came right back on with the same error code. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Gus

When I changed mine out, I did have to drive it a bit before the light went out. Did you go for a nice test drive???

Lost Hoosier
19th March 2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome and replies (sorry it took so long for me to get back - busy week). She's been driving it for a week and it still comes back on immediately after a reset. I pulled the sensor, put new thread-lock on it and replaced it to no effect.
As for having the right sensor, I got the Bosch mentioned earlier in this thread.
At this point, I think I'm going to take it in and have it looked at rather than drop another $150 on another sensor. Thanks!

Gus
Lost Hoosier
+++
2003 Forester

Dulagarl
20th March 2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome and replies (sorry it took so long for me to get back - busy week). She's been driving it for a week and it still comes back on immediately after a reset. I pulled the sensor, put new thread-lock on it and replaced it to no effect.
As for having the right sensor, I got the Bosch mentioned earlier in this thread.
At this point, I think I'm going to take it in and have it looked at rather than drop another $150 on another sensor. Thanks!

Gus
Lost Hoosier
+++
2003 Forester

I had a problem like with with Djulpan (2003 Forester XS) before I sold it. Had the sensor replaced, and CEL kept coming on. Eventually my mechanic pulled apart the throttle body and gave it a serious clean - problem solved. he didn't charge for the work, and gave me a six pack of awesome beer for my troubles.

I figure it may have had something to do with not using Subaru Upper Engine spray as often as necessary. Anyway, suss out whether upper engine cleaner has been used, and inspect the throttle body for crud / grime / crap. Cleaning the throttle body may be the answer.

garrettG
20th March 2012, 09:34 PM
I have to do this exact sensor before the end of the month... Yay for smog... Pray for the best.

Thanks!
-garrett

NachaLuva
21st March 2012, 05:35 AM
Something I should add, you need anti-seize on the threads, I read somewhere that you need to use anti-seize that is compatible with O2 sensors, mine came with it already on the threads, but if you get one that doesn't, make sure the anti-seize you get is compatible.

What happens if you use normal anti-seize?

I had a problem like with with Djulpan (2003 Forester XS) before I sold it. Had the sensor replaced, and CEL kept coming on. Eventually my mechanic pulled apart the throttle body and gave it a serious clean - problem solved. he didn't charge for the work, and gave me a six pack of awesome beer for my troubles.

Your mechanic GAVE YOU BEERS??? :eek: Thats my kinda mechanic! :monkeydance:

Dulagarl
21st March 2012, 08:20 AM
Your mechanic GAVE YOU BEERS??? :eek: Thats my kinda mechanic! :monkeydance:

... well he does get to drive the dulagarl occasionally. He also gets to service about 6 other cars I referred.

Lost Hoosier
28th March 2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I wound up taking it in to the mech and they got it up on the lift and discovered I had it plugged in backwards. I just couldn't tell from where I was looking and like I said, they had to get it up on the lift to figure it out. So, they fixed the plug, reset the light and away we went.

Of course, two days later the CEL popped back on with code P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)) - whatever the heck that means. So, it looks like it's back to the mechanic for me.

+++
2003 Subaru Forester - "Azure"

carljwnc
28th March 2012, 07:07 AM
Glad you got the O2 sensor figured out.:ebiggrin:

That other one might be the catalytic converter.:sad: But don't quote me on that.

garrettG
29th March 2012, 04:18 PM
GOODNESS! you guys are getting way overcharged, i got a brand new OEM one from my local subaru dealer for $93 and the offset socket tool for $8.99 at the local auto parts store!

gonna tackle it on sunday or monday...

El_Freddo
30th March 2012, 10:36 AM
GOODNESS! you guys are getting way overcharged

Welcome to Australia and Imported cars mate! It's always the go, there's a tax for everything over here including a tax on taxes (GST on fuel excise tax for example!).

I too am glad it was an easy fix! Hope it's still running as it should for you ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Ratbag
30th March 2012, 09:32 PM
Gidday Bennie

Welcome to Australia and Imported cars mate! It's always the go, there's a tax for everything over here including a tax on taxes (GST on fuel excise tax for example!).

You forgot to mention the Stamp Duty on the Excise before you apply the GST to the total ...

AND according to our government, we are one of the lowest taxed countries in the world.

As a CPA (retired list ... ) with an interest in such things, I would have to say they are lying all the way to their back teeth, and beyond. Maybe all the way back (and down) to their fundamental orifice, perhaps?

:mob::mob:

NachaLuva
20th September 2012, 03:27 AM
So has anyone found a cheaper O2 sensor...I just got quoted $477!!! :eek::huh::(:shake:

taza
20th September 2012, 03:35 AM
^ I was quoted more than that for mine. I'm not bothering though as at the end of the year I'm doing a sti swap in the foz...

Ebay??

thunder039
20th September 2012, 04:52 AM
^ I was quoted more than that for mine. I'm not bothering though as at the end of the year I'm doing a sti swap in the foz...

Ebay??

just finished doing a engine swap and is planning the next. top stuff mate :lildevil:

taza
20th September 2012, 04:59 AM
^ Pretty much Thunder. With new new bigger tyres the car is sluggish, I got beaten by a 1.6l Ford Laser auto. Now that's shameful! :shake: :eek:
And I'm going to need more power when I have to tow my new project car down to Perth on a trailer :ebiggrin:
Plus after driving some more turbo cars recently and starting my new full time job soon I will be able to pay for one :lildevil:

thunder039
20th September 2012, 05:03 AM
^ Pretty much Thunder. With new new bigger tyres the car is sluggish, I got beaten by a 1.6l Ford Laser auto. Now that's shameful! :shake: :eek:
And I'm going to need more power when I have to tow my new project car down to Perth on a trailer :ebiggrin:
Plus after driving some more turbo cars recently and starting my new full time job soon I will be able to pay for one :lildevil:

without hijacking this thread to much..

im keen to know more about this new project :lildevil:

taza
20th September 2012, 05:05 AM
^ Without going offtopic anymore I'm just going to say that I will be starting one. A road spec brumby or L next year (start my new job in a few weeks :D). So to have that and the foz as a beast and I'm happy :P