FMR12

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
CVT
Hello

New member with a 2014 2.5i Forester that I am really enjoying. Have added a subaxtreme bull bar, some LED driving lights and a few dings and scratches.

I've had it since March and in the last month has started (or I have started noticing) pinging. It is at 1500-2000 RPM under light load.

The dealer has had it for six days in total, recorded engine data to send of to Subaru central but it seems they have just changed a bunch of sensors and shrugged their shoulders.

Has anyone any experience or advice to offer on this? The dealer also said that they could detect it on other vehicles they had in for servicing, But that doesn't make me feel any better about it.

Thanks

What fuel are you using?

Minimum should be 95ron

Never run any of our cars, Subaru or others, on anything but 91 RON. Never had any problems in over 30 years ... :biggrin:

91 ron is minimal requirement. Vid also states that Subaru recommend to use a higher ron fuel. If pre ignition of the the fuel is happening which the op states, then using a higher octane fuel will help advance timing to minimize detonation until the issue is sorted.

Don't forget Aussie petrol is very low octane compared to other countries. Try it on 95 or 98, see if it runs better

Yes certainly try premium in the meantime but after its fixed just normal 91 should be fine, per design. Premium is recommended tho, sometimes returning better economy so paying for itself, but it isn't necessary.

I seem to think, from my lousy memory, that the driver`s handbook actually states, for my ancient MY03, that slight load induced pinging is normal.
Mine always has pinged but a dose of UEC and 95 cures the problem... for a time at least.

The amount of subarus I hear pinging on the road are unbelievable.. or other makes for that matter.

I agree with Nacha about fuel octane. Its simple physics.
It is also true that the quality of Australian fuel is garbage. It is why I only ever run 98/100 in all my cars.

With the 2.5l in my outback I would consistently gain good power and at least 50km/tank economy.

Another thing to consider is ADM subarus are tuned like absolute garbage. They run very inefficiently.

I agree with Catchya... minimum 95Ron. 3 Subarus of varying ages (84-2000), 12 years 330,000kms in total over that time .... 2 tanks of fuel containing ethanol and not by choice either. Could hear the difference in the car and would never put it in again. What it might save at the bowser is far outweighed by what it costs getting such sweet engines sounding the same again. Very quick lesson learned for me :)

Best regards,

Last edited:
Fuel debates aside,

when was the last time the engine had some UEC through it ?

(Subaru Upper-Engine Cleaner. About $18 at your local dealer)

If you don't KNOW it was done in the last few months - then run a can through.

Back