H6 in forester

mate i think that would depend on how much cash you have, how much you wan't to do it and if you wan't to part with the cash. first have you done any research to see if it will fit easilly? the only forester i can think on that has had this done was the one they were going to use in the last Dakkar rally which i think got canned. cash probably wasn't much of an issue for them. i'm not sure but i think you would need a new A/T tranny and rear diff to suit. i think it would be a costly exersize. if it's extra power your after a turbo would be eaiser and produce more power

Last edited:
A while back it was my intention to do exactly that.... H6 into a Foz.

I got talked out of it by un-adventurous nay sayers and went for the current config.

I put it to the guy who did my transplant before he started the worked but I didnt push the issue and he didnt ask for 'more' work. About a month after i got my car back I rang the mech to give some feedback and thx and he told me that I'd be a bit pissed because he just put a H6 in a Foz.... he said in his opinion it wasnt too bad a job.

Check his website out and maybe give him a call... his name is Al
https://amauto.com.au/

Thanks fellas for your quick replies. SKT, I rang Alan at AMAuto and he suggested getting an XT instead.

G'day Sam Spade & :welcome: to ORS

A H6 in a Forry would be very interesting indeed, &, I can't see why it can't be done. But as Eden says it probably won't be cheap by the time it's finished. ie possible/probable tranny & diff upgrade.

I think a turbo would be an easier & more cost effective option if its more power that you're after, but I'm no expert & just my 2cents worth.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I think the best option for the H6 upgrade to a foz is to have it mated to a manual gearbox.
I've read a thread on ausubaru forum where a guy dropped a H6 into an outback that was a manual - this was part of the reason for the conversion as you can't buy a H6 with manual from factory, the other reason was to see how torquie the H6 would be with the manual. He was pretty happy with the end result, and he knocked it up in a weekend (does professional conversions for a living)...

That setup in a foz would be awesome.

My 2c

Cheers

Bennie

Doing conversions is always going to involve some degree of hassle. I've done conversions such as a V8 in to a 6 cylinder Falcon, small block Chev into an HQ Holden, EJ20 turbo into a 1.8 Impreza, plus gearbox and rear end conversions. It is never as simple as you think, although it obviously helps if the car was designed for the bits going into it. A friend put a Toyota Supra engine into his Volvo 244 some time ago- and is still having issues with it.

The H6 is only 30mm or so longer than the H4, and uses chain drive for the cams instead of belts. The 3.0 litre version apparently is not big on torque- at least not down low. However, if you were to turbo it- then that sounds like a bit of fun if it worked out well. But seriously, being a pioneer in this field is never fun and most people who try it end up selling the car in frustration and loose heaps of money.

As for insurance you might want to see how the insurance company would view such a thing and compare that to the cost of an XT, which would outperform the H6 anyway. If you did go ahead with it then it would be good to see how it turned out.

I think the best option for the H6 upgrade to a foz is to have it mated to a manual gearbox.
I've read a thread on ausubaru forum where a guy dropped a H6 into an outback that was a manual

Hey Bennie i'm interested in seeing this. got a link? does the manual box bolt straight on or did he have to make an adapter plate?

Hey Bennie i'm interested in seeing this. got a link? does the manual box bolt straight on or did he have to make an adapter plate?

I don't believe it needs an adaptor plate as it seems to use the standard EJ bolt pattern :twisted:

And I got it wrong, this conversion went into a Gen 2 Liberty - here's the link

Cheers

Bennie

Back