Ausie Mobile Phone plans

Barry

Forum Member
Search didn't pop up any relevant threads, so I'm starting a new one:

Am interested in finding a mobile phone plan with unlimited Aus calls and text, a reasonable amount of on-line and best possible coverage.

In order to get the latter I assume I'll need to go Telstra, so probably a bit :( re $, if they have such a plan.

Is anyone using such a plan, irrespective of which provider?

Ratbag, you are with Telstra, IIRC. Which plan you on, if I may ask?

For coverage Telstra is your only option. Start looking at their website. You cqn also get an arial to extend you signal which can be fitted to your car. Can extend the range by 80km so I've heard.

Thats what I thought Taza, Vic isn't as bad as a lot of places though, so might wait till my current plan expires... an aerial might be the go until then.
Step 1 might be a new phone.

I live in Sydney and find that Telstra are the most expensive in many ways- but they have best coverage. No other network has coverage where I live- and even when you get about, the better coverage is noticeable.

Thats what I thought Taza, Vic isn't as bad as a lot of places though, so might wait till my current plan expires... an aerial might be the go until then.
Step 1 might be a new phone.

I don't have an aerial on my car but have found that signal alone in Perth is horrible compared to in the country. My mobile internet is slow (so many users on each tower compared to the country too) and drops out often.

I wouldn't go with anyone other than Telstra though. I know when being offroad or out bush if you can get to a high point(hill, wind mill or something of the likes) you can usually get signal most of the time.

May I ask why you need unlimited calls?

I have only recently been on a plan with Telstra (2months or so), before was prepaid for 6-7 years.
I pay $49 per month, get unlimited text messages. $550 worth of calls (I make 20-30 calls a week) and 1.5gb of data. With the data unless you are on Youtube or downloading movies or music its sufficient.
After just looking Telstra do a plan for $79 a month with $1200 of calls and unlimited texts and 2.5gb of data. Their highest plan is $99 a month with unlimited calls and texts but only has 3gb of data.

I live in Sydney and find that Telstra are the most expensive in many ways- but they have best coverage. No other network has coverage where I live- and even when you get about, the better coverage is noticeable.

Very true. Although Telstra's plans are more competitive now and better priced compared to 2-3 years ago.

As an alternative to Telstra, check out the Woolies prepaid (Optus)
https://www.woolworthsmobile.com.au/woolworths-prepaid-cap

Optus doesn't have the same coverage as Telstra but they come second. and the Woolies plans are very well priced. I recently joined the $29 prepaid which you get 10% off if you have a rewards card, which is $26.10 for 45 days
If you break it down to monthly for the $29 plan (divide by 1.5)
$17.40 gets you 3.33gigs of data and $333.33 worth of calls/sms. Beats Telstra in every way except for coverage.
you can use apps like Whatsapp that use your data to send Sms since 3.33gigs is quite a lot of data. There are apps that use data to make calls also.

Last edited:
Im with telstra, it is expensive! I find it worth it though for the coverage. Im on a business plan, I think its $130 for unlimited TXT and calls and 3gig, I think... I call and txt alot! and have phone check emails every 15mins! and I am thinking of getting an areal for offroad trips.

Im with telstra, it is expensive! I find it worth it though for the coverage. Im on a business plan, I think its $130 for unlimited TXT and calls and 3gig, I think... I call and txt alot! and have phone check emails every 15mins! and I am thinking of getting an areal for offroad trips.

Wow thats alot. I could see how its worth it. Where i live in Perth (15mins from the city) I don't even get phone signal in the house or outside!
Could do with a aerial myself just to use my phone :rolleyessarcastic:

Gidday Barry

Search didn't pop up any relevant threads, so I'm starting a new one:

Am interested in finding a mobile phone plan with unlimited Aus calls and text, a reasonable amount of on-line and best possible coverage.

In order to get the latter I assume I'll need to go Telstra, so probably a bit :( re $, if they have such a plan.

Is anyone using such a plan, irrespective of which provider?

Ratbag, you are with Telstra, IIRC. Which plan you on, if I may ask?

Just bought the Blackberry Torch 9810 on a "pay on the drip" system for 2 year contract. Phone plus rent is $17~18 for the phone, $59 for the plan, per month.

Includes:
  • $450 pm for Oz calls; mobile & fixed line, IIRC
  • Unlimited SMS/MMS within Oz
  • Email via Blackberry exchange server (duplicates what comes via your "normal" Telstra email a/c to your phone, and leaves a copy on the server for your normal w/s). I have laptop, desktop and phone all getting all the messages that come in.
  • Internet access. One (1) GB pm data allowance. I have yet to use more than about 1% of this, even though regularly check several boards many times per day.
Details here:
https://www.telstrabusiness.com/sho...810/detail/Maximiser_59_handset_plan/selected

Comparison of plans here:
https://www.telstrabusiness.com/shop/mobiles/phones/blackberry_torch_9810/detail

My plan is a little different after they initially screwed things up rather badly ...

Out in the bush, they do NOT recommend the other "Blue Tick", remote rural use phones, only the Blackberry 9810. Quite simply, the others don't work very well as phones ...

My next choice would be the Motorola Atrix, but it is not as good at being a phone (prime function ... ).

The Blackberry is somewhat restricted in some ways compared with (say) the iPhone, but it works better as a phone ...

The setup can also be somewhat frustrating.

Beautifully made device. Brilliant in some ways. Lags behind my Palm computer in some others.

Give me a call if you want to discuss things. You have my mobile number, but I can give you my fixed line easily enough.
Bloody tricky and complex - AND depends on your needs/wants.

AND Telstra are the only carrier to use if you plan to go outside of the CBD!!!! Up at Noojee, I had a usable signal about half the time. Not at the bottom of 500~1000m deep gullies, however.

the only problem I have with the Woolies/Optus plan is when I want to check how much data I have left. It's terrible.. it just gives you per Gb. like it will say 2gb. That's really dumb. I don't normally care, but with the move to Mt Isa we didn't have internet for a 2 weeks, so I used my phone to tether and I did manage to run out AND use up all my credit in data but only 4 days before the 45 limit

Telstra....that's it!!!!:raz:
As i say to my kids...Vodaphone may be cheap....but it doesn't work!!
I don't know how mant times in sometimes only slightly out of the way places my phone works and others don't.
Make sure the phone has the 'blue tick'.
Telstra is not as dear as you might think. I just got the 4G Mobile Broadband and pay $29.95 for 4G (Which is all i need). You CAN negotiate with them if you are prepared to bundle and sign a 24 month contract. Just hold your ground and i have found ringing them is much more likely to end in a good deal than going into a Telstra dealer shop.
Optus do say that they cover 95% of the population but don't say what % of the area.
Check their coverage maps...it's rubbish.
Say it again Sam....Telstra, Telstra, Telstra!!!

the only problem I have with the Woolies/Optus plan is when I want to check how much data I have left. It's terrible.. it just gives you per Gb. like it will say 2gb. That's really dumb. I don't normally care, but with the move to Mt Isa we didn't have internet for a 2 weeks, so I used my phone to tether and I did manage to run out AND use up all my credit in data but only 4 days before the 45 limit

???
SMS "Bal" to 9999 and it gives your balance in $ and data to x.xx gb e.g 4.36gb.

Back