Mesh Grill... increase airflow?

SKT

Just curious if anyone truely believes replacing the stock Foz grill.... or any grill for that matter... with a custom grill whether it be purchase or fashioned at home increases airflow to the rad. I look at the messh grills and see a lot more of whats behind so I'd have to assume yes there would be an increase...

Anyone got actuall before and after temps or engine performance info???

When I installed spotties behind the grill, by default I needed to convert to mesh.
Don't have any temp readings but the car is certainly not overheating and I've driven on a 35C day in peak hour traffic with this setup

spotties1.jpg

Two factors to consider:

Pressure drop across the grille (and also the intake below the main bumper) vs overall pressure drop through the grille, radiator and engine bay to discharge.

My guess is the pressure drop on the grille area is a pretty small component of the overall pressure drop, so it probably won't make a big difference to the air flow.

The other point is that the engine and water temperature are regulated by the thermostat. So unless you are really pushing the engine for a long period of time, the airflow is probably not the limiting factor; typical driving will not provide an answer on the benefit or otherwise of changing the grille. However, if there is a slight benefit, it may show up an autokhana or hillclimbing situation.

I'm also using a DIY radiator shroud which is supposed to stop air escaping up the top. Again, no hard evidence whether this works or not.
looks similar to this

images

Lefty, I've noticed APerth has been pretty hot of late. Have you done any high speed driving lately in these temps with the lights? That will be the big test as revs, load and thermal load will be at the geatest, and air flow most cmpromised. Fingers crossed it works for you. Interestingly, 2.5 litre STI's have cooling issues even without lights added

I have done 1 country run without any problems but that was a few weeks ago with cooler weather. Will be going camping beginning of Dec so will give it another run

A few years ago, someone has told me to not take too much "cover" off the radiator, (because I was driving a car without grill & bumper as it was damaged) saying it is bad for the engine.. but i couldnt figure out what was wrong with that. I've always thought (still do) the more airflow - the better for cooling of the engine!?
Cheers
AP

Some cars are dsigned for air to enter the radiator a certain way, but still I reckon the more airflow the better.

A few years ago, someone has told me to not take too much "cover" off the radiator, (because I was driving a car without grill & bumper as it was damaged) saying it is bad for the engine.. but i couldnt figure out what was wrong with that. I've always thought (still do) the more airflow - the better for cooling of the engine!?
Cheers
AP

they probably meant that the "cover" will direct airflow to the radiator. Removing bits may allow air to escape around the radiator - path of least resistance.

Back