Replacement key remote o_o really!!?!?

Skender

Forum Member
Just got a price from Subaru Doncaster for a replacement key/remote for my OB.

$400 !!!!!!!!!!! really!!?!?!

Has anyone here had to have a key/remote relaced and if so were you quoted and charged this price?

I'm blown away. Even a VW Golf replacement key isn't THAT much!

My OB came with a normal key and broken remote key ..... do I have any other option??

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
ok ... so I've replaced the battery in my remote hoping (like hell) that it would get the remote working again.... no luck!

Does the remote need to be re-programmed after a battery replacement? I'm at a loss. I can't bring myself to pay $400 for a new remote.

Has anyone else here had to have a remote replacement for their subi?

Mine was fine once the battery was replaced.

Perhaps a locksmith could test it? (Not sure how)
Yep, dealer spares = 'Subaripoff'.
I'd try the e-bay option.

Mine was fine once the battery was replaced.

Perhaps a locksmith could test it? (Not sure how)
Yep, dealer spares = 'Subaripoff'.
I'd try the e-bay option.

Did you replace the battery yourself?

Thanks lefty - will give that a go but I don't like my chances.

Did you replace the battery yourself?

Thanks lefty - will give that a go but I don't like my chances.

Easy enough to fit, just needed a jewller's phillip's head driver.

The woman in the battery shop in Geelong actually did it. I picked up a second battery at the time do do the spare key.

Thanks Barry, I replaced mine myslef last night with no luck. The reason I asked if you did it yourself is because in the book, it makes reference to some "film" which sits under the battery and looks like it should be there, but isn't. Just thought you might remember something about it if you replaced it yourself.

I rang Subaru today and they basically said they'd need the keys and the car to work out what the problem is. If it's just a re-programming issue, I should be alble to sort it out with the link lefty provided. I don't think it is though, a battery replacement shouldn't require the remote to be re-programmed. Only a NEW remote should require programming???

At the end of the day it's not worth all the hassle, just to have a key that says "subaru" on it. I'm better off taking a punt on a $30 overseas aftermarket remote or just forgetting about it.

Shame that it's such a rip off for new one though. I'd be prepared to pay $150, even $200 (which is still steep!!) for replacement but $330 plus a $40 key cut is just bloody ridiculous!!

The film under the battery could be to STOP it working!
Some remotes come with this so the battery doesnt go flat until the remote is delivered, but allows them to ship the battery in the remote rather than separate.

lets start with some basics. 1. does the remote have a light when you press the button? there is a chance that the new battery may be flat or put in upside down 2. are the contacts corroded or loose? is the battery snug or loose? 3. put the battery from the remote that you know is working into the other one to rule out that it isn't the battery.

Some remotes come with this so the battery doesnt go flat until the remote is delivered, but allows them to ship the battery in the remote rather than separate.

Yeah that's what I thought except the instructuons say to "replace film".

Correct, that is how many electronic things are shipped. I can't see ow the reference in the instructions could be different. All films I have heared of are for insulataing. If it was meant to conduct it would be foil.

A story about a fool and his key...

I brought my 04/05 Outback in late Dec 2008, so have had it coming up almost 2 years.

Didn't bother using the key in the door for a couple of months. When I finally did it only went in part way. Second hand car, out of warranty, not to worry, locks fine with the remote and key works OK in the ignition.

I figured that some low life must've tried to 'work' the door lock tumbler.

Having been following this thread, this afternoon when I parked the car at the shopping centre I put the key in the lock. Still only goes in part way ... turned key ... door locked ... reversed key, door unlocked! :lol:

AHA! The key doesn't actually NEED to go in all the way! :poke::rotfl::p

My defence is that I didn't want to damage the car by twisting the key if it wasnt all the way in! ;)

I brought my 04/05 Outback in late Dec 2008, so have had it coming up almost 2 years.

Didn't bother using the key in the door for a couple of months. When I finally did it only went in part way. Second hand car, out of warranty, not to worry, locks fine with the remote and key works OK in the ignition.

I figured that some low life must've tried to 'work' the door lock tumbler.

Having been following this thread, this afternoon when I parked the car at the shopping centre I put the key in the lock. Still only goes in part way ... turned key ... door locked ... reversed key, door unlocked! :lol:

AHA! The key doesn't actually NEED to go in all the way! :poke::rotfl::p

My defence is that I didn't want to damage the car by twisting the key if it wasnt all the way in! ;)

I have the same problem with my key fitting in the door... Haven't been able to get it all the way in, but like you I sort of just assumed it was damaged.

Might give it a go now, hopefully it works.

Doesn't work...

It is frustrating the dealers are so expensive. I know there are some locksmiths which can program keys, i think they mainly deal with Magna's, Commodores & Falcons but they might have an idea..

They will be of better assistance than the dealers and wont charge you for the info.

Correct, that is how many electronic things are shipped. I can't see ow the reference in the instructions could be different. All films I have heared of are for insulataing. If it was meant to conduct it would be foil.

I would have thought the same Barry. Have a look at the instructions and you be the judge. It's fair to say the instructions in the book (written in chinglish) aren't the easiest to read. :poke:

Sorry about the orientation of the pic. Was uploaded from the iPone.

"re-stick the film to the normal position"???? really!?
c4a99f53.jpg

lets start with some basics. 1. does the remote have a light when you press the button?

This remote doesn't have a light.

there is a chance that the new battery may be flat or put in upside down

Yeah I suppose it could be flat. But no - not upside down - I checked this and double checked.

2. are the contacts corroded or loose?

Not corroded and seem tight.

is the battery snug or loose?

The battery sits very snug in its place.

3. put the battery from the remote that you know is working into the other one to rule out that it isn't the battery.

I only have one remote!!

Thanks lefty - although I had racked my brain with all of this stuff first.

Back