Coolant hoses

m66atj

Forum Member
HI there, I have an OUtback H6 which was having its front pads done today. Whilst it was in, the mechanic noticed thet one of the coolant hoses off the radiator was bulging. I have had a look at this and as you stand in front of the car and look into the engine bay, it is the hose on the left that goes into the engine block and is only about 20smd long with 2 bends in it. When my engine is running and is hot, it swells to about twice its cold diameter. Is this normal or should I replace the hose?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt

correction

sorry guys, I meant to say about 20 cms long and we are talking about the top of the radiator.

Matt

G'day & Welcome

Swelling usually means you need to replace the hose.

Top hoses are always the first to go, because they are under the most stress. I'd suggest replacing as a precaution every 2-3 years- sometimes you do not get a warning like you have

Just had a thought, when I replace the hose, is there a sealent compound that I put round the nozzle/inside of the pipe or does it just seal with a jubillee clip?

Matt

No, there's no sealant. Just tighten the band.

But make sure all the air has been bled out before driving off.

I have a '93 Liberty/Legacy wagon, and a small (looks to be about 1/2"/12mm internal diameter) rubber hose with a 90degree elbow situated just over the lower radiator hose has started leaking coolant. I've searched for references to this hose online without success. Does anyone know what the hose is for, what part of a Subaru catalogue I should search for it (I've searched cooling system hoses without success), and where I can a suitable replacement here in Melbourne, Australia?

Back