Mud's mod journal

Many of you have seen the BattleWagon on other sites (SF.org, So_Org), but I figured I'd post it here too, for those who haven't.

My primary goal with all of my mods is to make it a good car to take to college, and still have some fun. I originally wanted a Forester XT, but that didn't happen, so instead, I have this. While it lacks the approach/departure angles of the Foz, it makes up for it in road manners and build quality.

2000 Subaru Outback 2.5L 4EAT

I don't do any real heavy duty off-roading yet, as I'm waiting to get better tires when my performance all-seasons wear out. For now, I mostly just enjoy fire roads and sliding around in muddy fields. :) I hope to be able to do some 'real' wheeling some day. I also have a Chevy 4x4 pickup that is modded, that I use for work on our family farm.

Mods:
-RalliTEK HD Rear Overload Springs ~ 2" lift
-Subaru OEM H6 Outback front springs ~ 1" lift
-KYB GR-2 Shocks and Struts
-DIY hybrid cold air intake (Which I can make in to a snorkel if I ever get the balls to cut a hole in the fender :lol:)
-Borla Replica UEL header
-Custom Stainless 2.25" Magnaflow catback (non resonated)
-Axxis Ultimate Ceramic brake pads
-'04 Forester XT Shift knob (A/T)
-'07 Forester XT 6CD Changer
-Hella 500FF Driving Beams on a custom aluminum light bar
-Custom Diamondplate Aluminum front sump/header guard
-Thule crossbars with Swagman upright bike rack

...I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but those are the basics.

Future Mods (in order of what happens next)
-Subtle Solutions 1" front lift blocks
-215-65-16 Yokohama AT/S tires

A few pics... we've been lacking in the mud department here lately, so I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and give it bath.

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7433HC_1024x683.jpg

IMG_7434_1024.jpg

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_6821.jpg

IMG_7479.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I haven't been online in a while. Doing a community theater production of Irving Berlin's White Christmas - The Musical .

Hoping to get some contacts on an exhaust shop sometime soon. No one in these parts has ever done work on a Subaru, so I'll be curious to see what kind of job they do with the Outback's funky angles.

/\that looked like a very lively place! :ebiggrin: ...ok ill stop

very nice lookin OB. were did you get the pipe for your intake? it looks so nice youd think its stock. id like to have something nice looking like that when i ever get around to making a snorkel

/\that looked like a very lively place! :ebiggrin: ...ok ill stop

very nice lookin OB. were did you get the pipe for your intake? it looks so nice youd think its stock. id like to have something nice looking like that when i ever get around to making a snorkel

Kentucky! Wooohooo! Someone semi (semi) close! :lol:

Yes, it was just booming with activity.

As far as the intake goes, I intend someday to make a snorkel out of it. ;)

The original post:
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/battlewagon-muds-outback-55836/index4.html#post629609

^ Thanks Mr Turbo!

I'm doing my best to combine the best of both worlds. A decent on-road car that I can stand to take on long road trips, and a decent off-road Subbie. The Outback is an ideal platform, with a long, stable wheelbase for a smooth ride and extra cargo space, as well as enough ground clearance to get me over most of the trails I enjoy playing around on, and to allow me to slide safely around the local rallycross course (which happens to be my property). :p

Well, here is another block update... basically covering stuff from the spring/summer. Enjoy. ;)

Spring cleaning:

IMG_6506.jpg

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

Well. I tried to make it into a hovercraft. Didn't work.

IMG_6504.jpg

Interior update (painted 4EAT surround and added Foz security box underneath the head unit)

IMG_6538.jpg

Got tint!

IMG_5929.jpg

Subtle Solutions Front Lift Spacers (to level the RalliTEK rear springs)

IMG_5876RSZ.jpg

IMG_5900RSZ.jpg

IMG_5881RSZ.jpg

IMG_5912RSZ.jpg

[imghttps://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x159/737LUVR/BattleWagon/IMG_5917RSZ.jpg][/img]

IMG_5924RSZ.jpg

It's hard for me to get it really, really dirty. Most of my offroading is lightweight stuff. I prefer more rallycross-type stuff. lol

Really debating on getting a fatter rear sway bar. It would kill my articulation when truly offroading, but it would make for a lot of fun sliding around in the dirt.

What was wrong with the old engine?
Cheers
AP

Ring wear... causing low compression across the board and some slight oil burning. I'd have re-ringed it but I did not have the time to do so, nor did I want to re-ring a Subbie for the first time when it is my daily driver / road-trip car. :) It will be rebuilt later on, with high compression internals, some headwork, and aggressive cams to go back in the car with a 5spd manual transmission. By that point I hope to have another car as a daily driver.

Fatter sway bar,quick disconnects,problem solved.

*lightbulb* Yes... that would work quite nicely.

What is the appropriate way to do a quick disco? Cotter pins?

....and Frogstar was correct. It did not take long...

Window art courtesy of the girlfriend.

0725001421.jpg

Before it got really dirty. lol

0724001500.jpg

New nighttime lighting setup. GE Tungsram selective yellow H1 lowbeams (love them) combined with Osram Silverstar highbeams and cheapy bulbs in my Hella 500FF driving lights. Unfortunately the driveway isn't long enough for you to see how far they throw, but it gives you an idea of the pattern. From the front of the car to the pole is 700ft.

IMG_7559.jpg

Back