PDA

View Full Version : Weight equalization bars

captncruise
13th October 2009, 09:04 AM
I have been towing a Coromal Silhouette wind up camper with my 2003 manual Forester. When we bought the van the dealer threw in a second hand set of 4 bars. The rig works well but the tail of the Forester dips a bit.

A salesman for Subaru told me yesterday that I should get the type of bars that are 2 in a set which are much stronger. Does anyone have experience with this and what effect does the auto leveling have on the Forester.

Thanks in anticipation

Kevin
13th October 2009, 06:53 PM
TroyXT has lots of experience with those bars (& other types of bars as well! :lol:)

troyXT
19th October 2009, 06:12 AM
Yeah , I have the Hayman Reese medium weight distribution bars. They work pretty well but are only good up to a 135kg towball weight. The larger ones probably would have been better and the 2 bars look alot easier than putting on 4 all the time. My dad has them for his 19ft van but the hitch attachment is alot heavier and has height and angle adjustments.

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/consumer/products/wdh/productsindex.htm

Offroad, you need to remember to undo the bars when it gets rough. 2 of my bars have probably been bent a little too much.

For my Forester the bars plust the self leveling worked really well.
Without the self leveling it drops a bit when the camper is on. I think you would be ok with the heavier duty bars but I was trying to keep the weight down so went for the meduim ones. Looking at their website now, they don't seem to be listed. :confused:

Troy.

captncruise
24th October 2009, 09:26 PM
Thank you for that information. It has helped me a lot.

Graham