What Size are they?
225/60/17
What type are they -
all terrain
Are they grippy or not?
Seem to hold on well in pretty much all circumstances
Are they noisy or quiet?
Pretty quiet on bitumen-surprisingly near to HT tyre sound level
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use?
Very pleased with their sand performance, have had limited usage on rocks without any issues emerging
What Life span are you getting out of them?
Have done about 15,000 km. Best guess would be at least 60,000 km based on amount of wear so far and the mileage I got from maxxis 851's on my previous (2001 Forester)
Do you like them or not really?
Very happy with them. I would love to be out using them instead of in Corona Virus imposed lockdown

What Tyre Brand are you on? Yokohama Geolandar GO55
What Size are they? 225/55/17
What type are they - wet/dry All-season
Are they grippy or not? Not bad for a crossover tyre
Are they noisy or quiet? Pretty noisy on coarse chip
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? They’re a compromise, but better off-road than summer tyres
What Life span are you getting out of them? Too soon to know
Do you like them or not really? They’re ideal for our purposes - 90% tarmac

I considered the G055s before the purchase of my G015s because they are H/T tyres with zig-zag centre grooves, providing extra traction on loose surfaces.
1599111709800.png

The current compound, though, is the reason why current Yokohamas have such grip. These are marketed as the lighter version of the G056 (LT), which is popular with light-truck owners who don't want to go full A/T.

Here is the G056, for reference:
1599111779900.png

I went with the G015s because of availability, reviews and price. Interestingly, in the US, they are next to the K02s in terms of price. Cheers.

hey guys,
I would like to start a new thread here to show everyone here how popular and what tyres your using and why..
Thanks
Cheers
AP

- copy & paste below -

What Tyre Brand are you on?
What Size are they?
What type are they - wet/dry
Are they grippy or not?
Are they noisy or quiet?
Could we add "can you fit a full sized spare in your wheel storage compartment" or something like that ?

🙂

@Romeowhisky Done
What Size are they?
Do they fit in the spare wheel well?
What type are they - wet/dry
Are they grippy or not?
Are they noisy or quiet?

What Tyre Brand are you on? Yokohama AT-S GO12
What Size are they? 215/60 16 (2003 AU Forester OEM size - I have to be able to fit chains and going to 65 profile was just too tight between tyre and suspension struts)
Do they fit in the spare wheel well? Yes - standard OEM size tyre
What type are they - All terrain
Are they grippy or not? great grip - have had two sets over 6 years
Are they noisy or quiet? Noiser than OEM but not overly so.
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Both - very good grip on gravel, mud and snow as well as bitumen
What Life span are you getting out of them? Most of my driving is on windy bitumen roads and dirt, so about 40,000km which I consider good for their tread pattern and grip and the roads I am on. I also replace before they have reached minimum replacement depth due to the terrain I drive on, so they probably have at least 10,000km on them that someone just running around on urban roads would get out of them....but then they would probably be better off with a less aggressive tyre.
Do you like them or not really? Love them, and I am up for replacements but in Australia Yokohama have discontinued most of the GO12 range, and 215/60 16 is now not available. Most likely I will be getting the A/T GO15 in the OEM size shortly.

How about adding how much they weigh, if you know? I can't remember all my researching, but I know some are quite heavier than others.

@cbrianroll - added it and made some other changes. Generally we know that BFG AT are heavier than other ATs

What Size are they?
If known, what do they weigh?
Do they fit in the spare wheel well?
What type are they - wet/dry/snow/mud?
Are they grippy or not?
Are they noisy or quiet?

Nice! If I remember correctly those were the heaviest I was looking at, but I was surprised by a few others I cant think of at the moment....

What Tyre Brand are you on? maxxis AT 771
What Size are they? 225/60/17
What type are they - all terrain
Are they grippy or not? Seem to hold on well in pretty much all circumstances
Are they noisy or quiet? Pretty quiet on bitumen-surprisingly near to HT tyre sound level
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Very pleased with their sand performance, have had limited usage on rocks without any issues emerging
What Life span are you getting out of them? Have done about 15,000 km. Best guess would be at least 60,000 km based on amount of wear so far and the mileage I got from maxxis 851's on my previous (2001 Forester)
Do you like them or not really? Very happy with them. I would love to be out using them instead of in Corona Virus imposed lockdown
Not sure if adding to my own previous post is a "reply". However, I can now say that I got 64,000 kms from my Maxxis AT 771 tyres that are now at the end of their service. Zero punctures in this period and they performed well throughout. Predominantly on-road though significant kmage on dirt roads, sand and bush tracks. Worth noting when considering kmage achieved that I run 6 wheels and have rotated all 6 throughout the period of use.

I recently spent some time on a farming property in central NSW and they swear by Maxxis RAZRs. I should add my latest tyres I guess:

What Tyre Brand are you on? Yoko Geo GO15
What Size are they? 21575R15
If known, what do they weigh?
Do they fit in the spare wheel well? No (or "not yet")
What type are they - wet/dry/snow/mud? AT
Are they grippy or not? Very, especially in the wet
Are they noisy or quiet? A bit of a "whirrr"
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Both
What Life span are you getting out of them? tba
Do you like them or not really? Luv 'em

New set on Roo2 a couple of weeks ago, after the Michelins were literally crumbling and falling to bits!

What Tyre Brand are you on? Bridgestone Turanza
What Size are they? 215R16 60
If known, what do they weigh? About 20 Kgs
Do they fit in the spare wheel well? yes, but my spare is the one that originally came with the car, practically unused, still in perfect condition
What type are they - environmentally friendly
Are they grippy or not? Very, especially in the wet
Are they noisy or quiet? Extremely quiet
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Both
What Life span are you getting out of them? Hopefully, a lot better than the Michelins!
Do you like them or not really? They are good. Have had them on SWMBO's SH for years.

For those of you with larger vehicles, I have finally come across an AT that fully satisfies me, the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3. It has now been replaced by the Baja Boss AT.

I personally run LTE 265 70 17 on my 4Runner (USDM Prado derivative). The tire truly shines everywhere, even on pavement and if you are willing to run it past its prime, it will meet its mileage warranty despite serious offroad use (rough desert terrain at speed, all sorts of other off-pavement driving). I wish it came in LTC and weighed less than 58lb but the performance is outstanding.

Do they fit in the spare wheel well? No (or "not yet")
Just rotated the front wheels with the 2 spares that have new tread and the now second spare fits in the spare wheel well at 15 psi and following a little more mods with a lump hammer and block of wood.....just!

I got some new tires for my 2012 Forester SH. I upgraded from Toyo Open Country ATs in 225/70R16 to Vredestein Pinzas in 235/70R16. I will say that this size is the absolute maximum that will fit this car without considerable modifications. And the Vredesteins are quieter than the Toyos, but not as quiet as road tires. I like them.

I have an ADF 2" lift and am using Forester SG steel wheels.

What Tyre Brand are you on? Vredestein Pinza AT
What Size are they? 235/70R16
Do they fit in the spare wheel well? I haven't checked yet but I doubt it
What type are they - All terrain, but not too aggressive.
Are they grippy or not? Yes - more so than the Toyo Open Country ATs that they replaced. They have the 3-peak snowflake symbol, which the Toyos did not.
Are they noisy or quiet? A bit quieter than the Toyo Open Country ATs that they replaced.
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Yes - good offroad and on road, though not as good as dedicated road tires. They are considerably less "skittish" than the former Toyo Open Country ATs on pavement in wet and gravelly conditions.
What life span are you getting out of them? The previous Toyo Open Country ATs lasted about 55K miles.
Do you like them or not really? Yes
IMG_20230808_122800[1601].jpg

IMG_20230814_121125 (2).jpg

The tire is very close to the front spring perch. No rubbing, however.
IMG_20230814_121232[1613].jpg

I reckon with tire flex they may rub a little at times; you probably won't notice it until you examine the bottom of the perch. ;)

Back