Timing belt replacement kit preference?

subanator

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
SG Forester
Transmission
Auto
My question is to which kit you have bought and why?
I am looking to do the timing belt myself on my SG Forester.
The local shop quoted me Dayco with water pump $650. (heaps cheaper online)

I am not sure which water pump yet, 2x outlet etc, thermostat bottom or side?? Will have to get and have a look.

My concerns are around info found online about Chinese bearings in Gates kits. Gates or Dayco or other recommendations?

The other concern is the auto adjuster gap clearance (the cause of so many failures when replacing the belt). The Gates kit has this tool. I dont know if Dayco have one? What is the gap measurement?

The other concern is the auto adjuster gap clearance (the cause of so many failures when replacing the belt). The Gates kit has this tool. I dont know if Dayco have one? What is the gap measurement?

its just a clearance to the belt guard over the crank pulley. 1.0+-0.5mm.

Use an appropriate piece of something the right thickness (eg: plastic milk bottle).. that's all the 'tool' is.

I agree about your concerns regarding chinese bearings and tensioner. I understand the tensioners rarely fail, so you can compress (slowly) and re-use your old one.

Replace all the idler and tensioner bearings, though - with Japanese ones. Your local bearing shop will have them if you're struggling with kits.

Disagree strongly about the tensioner. I have known them to fail before 100,000 kms, including on my WRX and others. Replace belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, crank seal and cam seals. And top hose at least while you are at it.

I stand corrected.

Replace it.

We've had a tensioner new with the cam belt kit die after 20k km. we've fitted a known good second hand unit and it's been good.

The old style piston I've not known to fail. I've reused mine on Ruby Scoo two or three times since owning the engine without a problem.

Cheers

Bennie

Back