skep

Forum Member
Mornington Peninsular,Victoria, Australia
Car Year
Car Model
Forester xs
Transmission
Manual
Hey all! I have a faint sound and an almost faint shimming vibration when my car is under throttle (had for a while and hasnt got any worse) but silent when cruising in gear with foot off throttle. I have also noticed that when cruising on the freeway and put it in neutral that I can still hear it. I was cruising today and put it in neutral and came to a stop and noise stoped with it eg. Cannot hear it when car is not in motion. It doesnt get louder or sound slower or quicker according to speed to me like a wheel bearing or diff meshing would ( previous subi ) doesnt seem to bind when turning ( another previous subi ) so I am cluless at this stage but looking to me most likle a bearing of some sort and just wondering if anyone else knows what I am talking about as I havnt come accross any. This same noise etc happened in a forester gt I owned a while back as well but ended up dismantling it and never found an answer and hoping I can here. Cheers!

Gidday Skep

That sounds as if it could possibly be a dynamic balance problem with one wheel, or possibly a drive shaft or the rear propeller shaft. Have you checked the centre tail shaft bearing for looseness or play? Rear diff nose bearing? Rear shaft universal joints?

Does the vibration come in at a specific speed, then go out as you get faster? Or is it continuous?

Of course, you have checked the tension on your wheel nuts, haven't you ... :poke: :iconwink:.
Just asking ...

Time to take it to a pedders for a test? $28 bucks for a full suspension steering and drive line report ain't bad, there's always a few things a vibration might be. Would help narrow a few things down, just take the findings with a grain of salt.

thanks for the replys! haha yes i have checked the nuts!! I have not checked anything rear of the box yet as it sounded as if it was comming from the box but sound travels so could be from anywhere along the driveline. its like a rubbing vibration that is always there but its 1 sec on 3 sec off type thing which is hard for me to work it out,the funny thing is that the same thing started to happen in my old foz gt yet so far it seems that no one has been able to describe the same problem/symptoms as of yet anywhere on the web??! I will further inspect it on the weekend and go from there! cheers fellas.:iconwink:

Just found my old thread. It ended up being the circlip on the viscouse coupler had come off and made its way through to the back of the transfer gears and chipped a tooth and slightly worn a bearingfrom debris, bought the new transfer gear off partsouq and was fine until I sold it..

Just found my old thread. It ended up being the circlip on the viscouse coupler had come off and made its way through to the back of the transfer gears and chipped a tooth and slightly worn a bearing from debris, bought the new transfer gear off partsouq and was fine until I sold it..

That is precisely what happened to me. Circlip backed out a little, lost the end and it subsequently chipped a tooth in the transfer case, and the bearing(s) later went on the other gear shaft.

I located the bearing noise by using the old 'listening to a broom handle against the gearbox while up on blocks in gear' trick.

Fortunately, it was a relatively easy to repair. I'm just hoping my 'screw the circlip back around' is a permanent fix. Touch wood, its been ok for a couple of years now.

Mysteriously, I had binding with the center diff prior to that incident, changed gearbox oil to Penrite full synthetic , shifting got alot better (not unexpected), but the binding also went away. I don't know whether that oil runs cooler and so I don't get binding now, or something else in the center diff changed due to the circlip backing out.

gear.jpg

circlip.jpg

First gen SF has a different visco coupler and a larger circlip. My friend Subforest72 had the same misadventure on his gen2 SF, he now has a gen1 visco coupler/housing on his gen2 gearbox.

Back