• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Insurance: Help yourself...Not them

G'day again Taza

Condition wise my Foz has alot less car park dents and the likes for its age. the bumpers have some slight scuffing on the undersides from offroad but upwise they aren't pressed in by reversing into anything and the paint work cmoes up really well with a good wash and polish. especially for its age. The interior condition again is in good condition, a few scuffs but what car thats over 10years old doesn't have any. Again no tears in the seats or stains.

For example if the car were in a major accident most of the time its not driven out but towed so the mechanical condition is unknown :iconwink:

Even a very ordinary loss adjuster would take one look at the inside of your exhaust and that would tell him just about everything he heeds to know about the condition of your engine ...

Like Tax Auditors, never make the mistake of thinking that these people aren't very smart. They are generally very smart indeed.

But that's soon to be changed with all this money being poored into it. I know at the present time for my car (being a Limited model too, so comaprable to an XS) is insured for $9,500 bone stock.

Yeah. They were certainly a very nice unit. Well equipped in every way.

Then adding all the accessories and mods.

eg. Boot liner, lift kit and suspension work, roof racks, basket, spotties, seat covers, stereo(head unit, sub, amps, speakers),tow bar, sumpguard, floor mats, uhf, etc... then soon the charger, custom gearbox with LSD's and front bar. All up it adds to quite a few thousand dollars.

It sure does.
It might be a very good idea to put the s/c on your L-series ...
Insurance companies generally do not like this sort of thing!
If going to a 225/60 16" voids my insurance, what do you reckon fitting a s/c will do?

Did you send photo's into your insurer as proof of what you have?

No. They took my word for it.

All the extras will also be listed on the amended policy document when I get it.

However, I have the photos; both mine and those taken by the dealer I bought the car from. It will probably never again be as clean inside and out as it was just before I bought it ... :iconwink: :rotfl:.
Include a photo of your odometer readings for each date you do a photography session. I recommend that this is done annually.

With digital cameras, the whole session shouldn't take more than about half an hour. It doesn't hurt if your camera has the ability to apply a visible time & date stamp on the photo itself. If it has, turn it on for the session. Of course, this info is also available in the EXIF data.

That reminds me, I haven't done the Camry for a while ...

There's some very good information you have posted up there Ratbag :raz:

It might be time for me to do a full detail (especially of the inside) of mine I think :iconwink:

Thats also a good idea re taking a pic of the odometer reading too mate.
I didn't think of that one :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Just got 3rd party insurance for the L just incase I hit someone or something. Especially with winter coming and not the best brakes.

Only $19 a month, so then I can atleast cancel it if I sell the car when the Foz is fixed.

Just a quick heads up to you guys out there holding off on a few choice mods such as lift and tyres due to non insurability you may wish to enquire with Shannons. They pretty well insist you modify your car for them to insure it. I will do some more digging but I think if it is legal or engineered they will cover you.

G'day again ST

Just a quick heads up to you guys out there holding off on a few choice mods such as lift and tyres due to non insurability you may wish to enquire with Shannons. They pretty well insist you modify your car for them to insure it. I will do some more digging but I think if it is legal or engineered they will cover you.

Check for threads here about people being rather unhappy with Shannon's.
It seems they may be happy to insure anything, but not all that happy to pay out for anything ... :poke:

I saw an interesting story on ACA (current affairs show) this evening about car insurance.
I was skeptical at first, but I thought I'd try it any way.
It was to do with insurance companies ripping us off with the prices we pay to have our vehicles insured because of where we live :mob:

I got an online quote for my Forry at my actual address & then got a quote for the exact same Forry using my next door neighbours address.

The price difference was astonishing :eek:
By living next door, I could have my insurance $$ drop by $180 :huh: Yes thats right $180.

Now I must state that everything for the policy was the same.
Same vehicle, same driver & history, same mods etc, etc.

All I did was to change the number of my house from No2 to No4 (Yes same street name & suburb, I just changed the number to next doors) & I was able to save (as I said above) a whopping $180 for the years premium.

Now, when my insurance is next due, I will do the same thing again.
If there is a major difference in price, like I stated above I'll be asking & demanding a please explain to them in no uncertain terms, thats for sure !

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up & let you know.

Regards
Mr Turbo

i also soar the same skit on today tonight.
$180 is a massive difference i am very surprised and that is very interesting indeed

maybe ratbag can shed some light on this? as he seems to know the most when it comes to this sort of thing

Put it this way. If they (insurance company) think I'm going to sit back & take that B.S, I'll be telling them that they can stick their policy where the sun don't shine & go elsewhere.
Along with ALL my family & friends !!

Then we'll see what happens.
I'm willing to bet, that they'll change/match the price, once I tell them that.

I did something similar once before. Then when they realized that they weren't just losing my business, but about 10 or so others, they quickly changed their tune.

It will be very interesting indeed, to see what happens, in a couple of months time, when my insurance policy is due for renewal.

Regards
Mr Turbo

It doesnt surprise me at all! Australians get ripped off in so many ways. Everything from car parts (T-belts costing WAY less in US for exactly the SAME part) to basic vegies, which we are led to believe are fresh yet may have been in cold storage for up to 9 mths, & have doubled in price in only a few years. To petrol, sure the government takes a big chunk but the profits made by the oil companies are truly obscene. Then of course there are the banks...need I say more! :furious:

Have you ever been overcharged on a bill, brought it to their attention & been given the difference off the next bill? Thats IF you notice, they sure as hell wont tell you! Yet when the mistake goes your way, you immediately get a notice & are required to pay within a week! :yell:

I could go on & on...

Basically, us Aussies are inherently lazy. We have grown up on a culture of "she'll be right mate". We trust these profit hungry, multi-national corporations to be honest & "fair" & it just aint so. We dont bother checking things like bills which we should scrutinize obsessively. Most of these corporations have a habit of routinely overcharging knowing that most people dont EVER check their bill unless it is huge.

The ACCC is meant to be our watchdog, but it is a toothless chihuahua at best...and these guys know that & take full advantage. Everyone knows that collusion & price fixing occurs routinely between the petrol stations... but what is done about it?

The message...check EVERYTHING! Take NOTHING for granted. Gain every advantage you can cos you can be certain they are...

what company are you with out of interest?
I'm with AAMI.
Not only did they have the best coverage (yes I did read the fine print) but they also had the best price aswell.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when it's time to renew my policy.
Put it this way, they better have a good :censored: excuse (which I intend to challenge) when it's time to pay the renewal :eviltoyou: :bananagunner::eviltoyou:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Well thats weird...I just did a search for "insurance". Of the 7 pages of threads that came up, this one didnt...& its a sticky! :rotfl:

My fault for not remembering it lol :iconwink:

Found a few interesting ones though:
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=3326&highlight=Insurance
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=2725&highlight=Insurance

Anyways.....

I thought I might not tie up Ratbag's build thread with an insurance post so I'll move it here:

$300 a year makes me thing that it's probably not worth insuring or maybe just for 3rd party property for when my wife runs into a Merc or BMW.

I'm currently uninsured & have been for the last 20yrs. I'm just a very careful driver & cant count on both hands the no of accidents I've avoided by idiots doing idiotic things (eg, dumb***es changing lanes without looking cos they're too busy yacking on the phone! :furious:). I've ended up stranded IN the intersection more than once to avoid rear enders at a red light! :shake:

However, that trip on the Phasmid Tr was a wake up call. If RB hadn't made it around the corner (good skills plus rear LSD, despite his Pirellis lol :iconwink:) then I WOULD have slid right into him...uninsured! :eek:

Yeah. Over 35 years ago, the driver's side door on a Rolls Royce cost $2,500 ...

When cars like my Foz get written off for a few hail dents, it shows the costs of repairs, even minor 1s, have gone through the roof.

So now I get freaked out while driving. Last night I had an idiot tail-gating me on the freeway. When I moved over, he roared past, then I noticed it was a flash new Mercedes coupe, I'm sure worth way over 6 figures.

I'm currently looking for 3rd party, F&T! :rotfl:

So far the only place I've found who'll do that for a modified vehicle is Just Car, $261 with $600 excess, incl "uninsured motorist extension" (for people like me lol) up to $3000. Seems a lot for just TP,F&T....

G'day again NL

Try Allianz. Here:
https://www.allianz.com.au/car-insurance/third-party-property-damage-car-insurance

They are the insurers behind Over 50s, with whom we are both insured. I'm pretty sure that they offer TPPD + F&T.

You might find that having full comprehensive costs little more though. The major part of any policy premium on older cars is the TPPD, not the F&T, nor the cover of one's own vehicle/s.

e.g. When I traded Roo1 for Roo2, the full cover went from something like $560 p.a. to $800 p.a. The sum insured for Roo1 was around $2,500 or so according to Allianz, but around $25,000 for Roo2 ... Ditto for the Camry to RonnyRoo (for around $30,000). We are both cleanskins for so long I cannot remember ...

So it appears that the cost of insuring our cars for some $22~27K more each is about $340 p.a.! Most of the cover cost (over half) is for the TPPD ...

Last edited:
Thanks RB, I'll try them.

I cant get comprehensive unfortunately, my car is on the written off vehicles register due to hail damage. I would need to get it repaired first...

I spent alot of time working in private insurance mainly for cars motorbikes and caravans repairs and recoveries. Gio,aami,just car and racv cover modifications. shannons is basicly gio with no repair garantee's timeframes and hire car options, just car is aami with different style of marketing to attract people with modified cars as its a better way to make profit then advertise aami directly covering modified cars.

uninsured motorist extentions are important to read the guidlines on, you need in most cases full name rego address, and cover a repair amount to the cost of repairs and dont entitle the insurer to keep your car as a write off either (just car, aami) so you can get a t/loss payment and retain the car for yourself to sell as scrap/ remove modds etc. but towing processing etc comes out of the payment so the net amount you might get will be less. F&T you will pay an exess of course.

The insured value of a car as a cost of an insurance premium is very little, the costing is based on statistics of a driver of an age in a type of car whether they are male female, repair costs of parts of a car, where they live and type of road they live on etc. for example if you move into a place and someone who was 50 had there car broken into stolen hit or they hit someone, if you move into that address and ask for an insurance policy with the same company or companys that share statistics you will pay more than if that previous driver was never there. its the same reason as new falcadors get older the premiums go up because 18 year olds can afford them and start smashing them.

Any other questions I'm happy to help theres alot of misconceptions about insurance out and about, as well as what the road laws actualy say, but I'll leave liability splits, each bare own and contribing neglegence for another rant :iconwink:

EDIT: AAMI also doesnt cover TP or UME for hail damaged cars, and just car technicaly doesnt either it depends on how well the assesor knows the policy

But stay away from budget and bingle and youi imho, they will cost you more in the long run.

Last edited:
I spent alot of time working in private insurance mainly for cars motorbikes and caravans repairs and recoveries. Gio,aami,just car and racv cover modifications. shannons is basicly gio with no repair garantee's timeframes and hire car options, just car is aami with different style of marketing to attract people with modified cars as its a better way to make profit then advertise aami directly covering modified cars.

uninsured motorist extentions are important to read the guidlines on, you need in most cases full name rego address, and cover a repair amount to the cost of repairs and dont entitle the insurer to keep your car as a write off either (just car, aami) so you can get a t/loss payment and retain the car for yourself to sell as scrap/ remove modds etc. but towing processing etc comes out of the payment so the net amount you might get will be less. F&T you will pay an exess of course.

The insured value of a car as a cost of an insurance premium is very little, the costing is based on statistics of a driver of an age in a type of car whether they are male female, repair costs of parts of a car, where they live and type of road they live on etc. for example if you move into a place and someone who was 50 had there car broken into stolen hit or they hit someone, if you move into that address and ask for an insurance policy with the same company or companys that share statistics you will pay more than if that previous driver was never there. its the same reason as new falcadors get older the premiums go up because 18 year olds can afford them and start smashing them.

Any other questions I'm happy to help theres alot of misconceptions about insurance out and about, as well as what the road laws actualy say, but I'll leave liability splits, each bare own and contribing neglegence for another rant :iconwink:

EDIT: AAMI also doesnt cover TP or UME for hail damaged cars, and just car technicaly doesnt either it depends on how well the assesor knows the policy

But stay away from budget and bingle and youi imho, they will cost you more in the long run.

Any 'observations' about caravan insureres.

In the end I can't complain about GIO, although they weren't exactly 'pro active'.
I have a quote from CIL for my 'new' trailer.
In particular I'm interested in how the various companies treat 'off-road' claims, because that is what we 'do'. For example, I might be heading to Lake Mungo in January, and don't want to be exposed if I need recovering.

Interesting what you say about the likes of YOUI. It is fairly obvious that they tailor policies with exclusions based on the normal use of the 'risk' - this may be cheaper, but will likely leave increased exposure when doing what (for that individual) is unusual.

Last edited:
I haven't had much contact with cil caravans, but from what i've heard they are a company that has a more rounded policy for caravans. From what i can remember aami caravan which is pretty narrow at best has some interesting fine print like 500 worth of item cover with no one item replacement being more than $100, so for instants you acidentaly fall in a run and the caravans side scraps a tree pushes in the fridge vent and damages the fridge you can have the body and interior fixed (with an excess) but the damaged fridge wont end up being covered. the main thing to remember is alot of car insurance doesnt cover what your towing if its a camper trailer or caravan

As for damages off road, most of what can happen should be covered (depending on the good old fine print) if your tresspassing on private property and damage the car not covered as its against the law. As long as the policy PDS doesnt say something is an excluded its included, if someone say flipped a car down a hill and wrote it off in a place they were allowed to be it should be covered, you might need to work out how to have it recovered yourself and send in the billing for reinbursment. thats always a hard thing to tell with recoveries because it depends on how competent the operator is thats handling the call or policy fine print. Simply if the policy doesnt say it wont cover something it should be covered under a comprehensive policy, with the exeption of policys that rely on the duty of disclosure (like apia) where if it isn't on the policy or been told there can be loop hole for the insurer to get out of a claim.

But theres nothing to say they wont stuff around getting anything done or fixed to begin with, so when the policy says things like after an indicent make sure you secure your car in a safe place, and someone brakes in and steals everything make sure you take photos first to have proof you did what you could as far as is practical. then as for off road recovery comes the storm of whats secure what isnt. morral of the story dont roll down a hill or know the local farmer with the bull dozer to pull it out for you to an accesible road/track.

And I do have a bias against youi as its never safe excluding things and their customers i've had to deal with have found out that the hard way. budget and bingle is from policy wording which if you simplify it says we'll make you pay an excess if you want us to do anything and you wont get it back if its your fault or not. and if a modification isn't legall have fun getting it fixed with the insurer.

A good example is someone is doing donuts in their own back yard and flips the car over, theres nothing that stricly says they cant do that its not against the law and the policy doesnt exclude that sort of thing its fine, if the policy said something like the car is covered for its designed and intended use they could argue they were doing something the car isnt designed for.

The fine print that alot of people dont read and the conflic that arised from that is the reason i changed industries completely and plan on never going back.

Last edited:
Back