EOI Group Buy - All Drive Subaroo Low Range

catchya

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XT
Transmission
Manual
They are billet products, not cast. He assured me that their gear sets would handle the 333nm of input torque my motor produces.

NachaLuva

Product Developer
Contributing Member
Stilson, I would stick with OEM 1.447 LR unless you want to go to 1.59. Then the ADS one will fit in with a 4.111 crown wheel with NO mods or the 4.44 with minor machining. It will also be stronger as Catchya said.

For Catchya, you might benefit from the stronger LR with your increased torque. Just remember, its still vulnerable so change into HR whenever you can & don't dump power through it.

I'm not sure the OEM gears are cast, pretty sure they're machined just not as high a grade of steel as ADS uses

kiwifoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L series
Transmission
5 speed dual-range PT4WD
I doubt they would cast the gears, seems like a bad idea given the entire power of the vehicle is transferred through them and Subaru intended them to be mainly used for towing...

Would ADS sell the 4.44 rings pre-machined? I'd love to go DCCD, long 5th, 4.44, helical front LSD and 1.59:1 but if they can't do a pre-machined I won't go 4.44 as it'll cost too much to get it done here.

Also, I was reading something on SF.org about using an L-series 5th gear as it's longer than the Forester's, is this possible? If so, then I could just buy an L-series DR gearbox, STi RA DCCD 4.44 LSD box and modify them both into my SG box and have everything I want (apart from the ARB locking R180 rear)...

catchya

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XT
Transmission
Manual
Stilson, I would stick with OEM 1.447 LR unless you want to go to 1.59. Then the ADS one will fit in with a 4.111 crown wheel with NO mods or the 4.44 with minor machining. It will also be stronger as Catchya said.

For Catchya, you might benefit from the stronger LR with your increased torque. Just remember, its still vulnerable so change into HR whenever you can & don't dump power through it.

I'm not sure the OEM gears are cast, pretty sure they're machined just not as high a grade of steel as ADS uses

Hi NL

Cheers for the reminder mate. :) Both ADS L/R gearsets would suffice for my applications.
If I was to use the stock SF/SG L/R gearsets, something will break as my engine produces roughly the same torque @2400rpms than a H6 EZ30 motors produces at peak.

Dedman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5MT
Something for everyone to consider. It is very very unlikely that you will break your low range gears or anything to do with the low range section regardless if its a OEM or ADS set. This is especially true for the better low range ratios. The reason for this is that subaru low range is on the input to the gearbox meaning it multiplies the power on every other component including your 1-5 gears. I cant say anything for other boxes but for the SF box this means that even with stock low range 1st gear and reverse will always break before the low range does.

Dedman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5MT
Also, I was reading something on SF.org about using an L-series 5th gear as it's longer than the Forester's, is this possible? If so, then I could just buy an L-series DR gearbox, STi RA DCCD 4.44 LSD box and modify them both into my SG box and have everything I want (apart from the ARB locking R180 rear)...
SG 5th is .780 in AUS
L series is 0.870 for the part time box and is not compatible.

I think it might be an RX liberty or something like that which had a .721 5th that should work

You need to keep in mind how big the 4th-5th ratio gap is getting though...

twowings

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5-speed MT
I have a 2013 SH with a 5MT....I had emailed him several months back and he said no problem in supplying a D/R 5-speed with a low 1st...I'm guessing I could get the group buy price and then handle shipping costs to the U.S. separately...keep us posted!

NachaLuva

Product Developer
Contributing Member
Bad news, ADS are going to look for a new supplier after all their issues so no LRs will be available for at least several months :(

They still have other components but it looks like I wont be pursuing a group buy anymore. I'm happy for someelse to take over if they want.

kiwifoz, yes they do sell the 4.44s already machined. New $600 machined, reco $400 machined