Forester 2007 - EJ253 overhaul

Johnnyforester

Car Year
Car Model
Forester Auto EJ25-3
Transmission
Auto
Hi guys I’m quite experienced with cars including bare shell rebuilds etc, but new to subys. I’ve inherited a one owner 2007 forester auto EJ25-3, with 100000km on it.

It has the original composite head gaskets and is due for the full timing belt kit inc water pump.

I need it to be very reliable and don’t want it to get hot and damage the heads and block so I’m thinking of pulling the motor doing the guides, stem seals, machining the heads and fitting the mls head gaskets before I risk it getting hot or dropping a guide and damaging the motor.

Given the guides on the Mk3 EJ25 seem to work their way out in this motor it all seems to be a bit of a risk not to do it as the car mostly does 600+km trips.

What are your thoughts on the above?
If I pull the motor out and refit,
What is this likely to cost?

Can you please recommend someone who can do this job competently?

Can anyone recommend a really good machine shop in Melbourne/Victoria experienced with Subaru heads please?

Also I’ve heard splitting the auto trans from converter a bit tricky- any clues???

Also is the converter seal and engine rear main east to access?

Any other advice appreciated

Thank you.

G'day & Welcome over here @Johnnyforester

You may find responses here a bit slower than sf.org but there is some very good technical info within the group.

:welcome: to this friendly forum.

Is their any sign of oil or exhaust leakage either externally or into the radiator?

If not, leave it alone!

Our 2009 SH uses about 0.5L of oil every 10-12,000 Kms. Weeping from the driver's side head/block.
Our 2006 SG uses none between oil changes at 24 months/24,000 Kms.

Both have the EJ253 engine. Both around 120,000 Kms on the clock.

I run Shell Helix Ultra FS 5W-40 in both.

:welcome: to this friendly forum.

Is their any sign of oil or exhaust leakage either externally or into the radiator?

If not, leave it alone!

Our 2009 SH uses about 0.5L of oil every 10-12,000 Kms. Weeping from the driver's side head/block.
Our 2006 SG uses none between oil changes at 24 months/24,000 Kms.

Both have the EJ253 engine. Both around 120,000 Kms on the clock.

I run Shell Helix Ultra FS 5W-40 in both.
Thanks John, I’ll be putting it on my hoist in the next few days to get a proper look.

Hi guys I’m quite experienced with cars including bare shell rebuilds etc, but new to subys. I’ve inherited a one owner 2007 forester auto EJ25-3, with 100000km on it.
Can you please recommend someone who can do this job competently?

Thank you.

I had my older OB done at TopTorque in Nunawading - recommended by Paul(?) of Cromwood Motors (now closed)

Quite happy with the work.

Back