12V Air Compressor

Probably about 10 minutes from pulling it out of the boot to packing it up, i usually inflate from 18-38psi 205/75/15.

This one looks good too, currently on special for $200.00 and comes with 5yr Warranty so the extra $50 could be worth it.

TJM Compressor.

013tjmcomp.jpg

Gidday Folks

I originally got this from Princess Trading -

https://offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=42343&postcount=20

(Lots of photos here)

It lasted about 6 tyres, blew fuses, and ultimately the power switch shat itself. The main switch is the same as the one in a PC power supply, rated at 6 amps/240V. I replaced it with an old PC PS switch, and gave it to a friend.

Princess Trading came to an amicable agreement (eventually ... ), supplying me with the heavier duty model at a price that was fair to us both. They didn't want the other one back, so I repaired it.

The twin cylinder one they sent me was assembled extremely poorly. So much so that one of the cylinders wasn't seated by around 1/8th inch, and the cylinder head was cactus in the same way.

They were most apologetic, and sent me a replacement as soon as they got my photos. Again, they didn't want the old one back ...

The full tale of this saga is here:

https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=4578

(Lots of photos here too)

So, the replacement twin cylinder one went into the original carry box (it's just superb!), and I then pulled the other 2 cylinder one apart and repaired it ... :iconwink: :biggrin: :cool:.

I now have 2x two cylinder ones. They both work perfectly (to date), and the power switch is a 10A/240V, and a heavier duty type of switch, so should be relatively better.

That TJM looks good, esp with 5yr warranty. Its not as fast (72LPM) as some others but reliability is the most important aspect of a compressor out bush IMO.

Mine is a Kinchrome (72LPM), not sure bout its warranty, but I'm happy with it. Takes bout 10min from taking out to putting away for 4 tyres 16-36PSI. $150 from ebay posted
Kinchrome 12V 72lpm 150PSI

So that's 18->38 across 4 tyres? Which compressor? "SCA Air Devil"?

yep all 4, I just looked at the SCA site and they don't list the one i have anymore. It's about 5 years old now never had any problems though, can't say anything about the newer ones, could be good could be crap. Mine looks almost exactly the same as Nachaluva's

Branded models have better support if you can afford them, but price doesn't always = quality, but on the other hand there's al ot of Chinese imports that look the same as branded models like tjm, or projector. While these ones are most likely build from the same plan and spec's in different factories, the branded one's will usually have higher QC standards. But you also have what i call the "4WD Action" mark up on some brands to consider.

That TJM looks good, esp with 5yr warranty. Its not as fast (72LPM) as some others but reliability is the most important aspect of a compressor out bush IMO.

Mine is a Kinchrome (72LPM), not sure bout its warranty, but I'm happy with it. Takes bout 10min from taking out to putting away for 4 tyres 16-36PSI. $150 from ebay posted
Kinchrome 12V 72lpm 150PSI

The TJM compressor is also 72LPM (listed under features) but as the pressure in the tyre builds the LPM drops and it would be same for any compressor I would think.
Have a look at the LPM specs in the bottom RH corner of the link in my post above to see how pressure affects the LPM flow.

My 150L princess trading compressor died after airing up a mates 35" tyres, started making a noise when hot. Princess paid return shipping but despite a recipted delivery claimed they had not received the faulty item and it was not until I "advised them to settle the matter promptly" that my replacement was sent.

Replacement works well so far.

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would dig up this old thread (since I could not find anything similar) to see what everyone is using 5 years later!

Went to a few shops this weekend to have a look around. Looking for something that is not too heavy and bulky, as I don't want it taking up too much space.

Would a compressor running 72lpm (like a projecta) be OK?

Cheers

Nice! A 5 year warranty is pretty good! Most pumps I have looked at only have 12 months!

Thanks for the feedback!

Indeed! Mine is now 12 years old. You can read the Viair specs here: https://www.viaircorp.com/compressors/

Here's emails from 2006:

"Hi Kevin , One more thing I can mention about the 400h/p compressor is it is also fully rebuildable with all parts available.

If you have any questions or require any additional information, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Very Best Regards,
Kingsley Sales Team

Ph: 1800 654 767
Fax: 1800 655 196
www.bushranger.com.au"

and:

"Thank you for your enquiry, our Max Air Compressor is powered by Viair, the
Viair equivalent to this compressor is the 400P compressor and the max-air
is supplied with the Hard mount kit so it can also be used as the 400H
compressor. You can view the 400H on our website under the compressor range.
Using this high quality compressor has allowed us to offer the 5 year 'No-Fuss' Warranty."

My first compressor cost $15 from a popular 4WD store in Abbotsford Vic (maybe not still there) and this got me out of trouble a couple of time. Very slow (maybe 1 psi per minute) and got hot.
I then got a better one from Repco for about $120 - a bit like this one
https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/...y-air-compressor-140psi-12v-guac30/p/A9473796
but with a coiled hose with a gauge near the screw-on connector. I used this many time after plugging punctures, but only around town. It's certainly good enough for that.

I still cant go by the 5 year warranty, think I am sold on that one!

Back