my DIY "Skid Plate"

Fuze911

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Impreza Wagon 2.5L
Transmission
4EAT
I know there is a couple versions of this floating around and i wanna thank all you guys for making drawings and giving tips. I wanna share my version in hope that it may help others make their own in the future.

My father managed to find a "do not enter" sign that was damaged and left on our property for a while.

Needless to say i cut off the damaged parts and put the scrap metal to good use :)

4698591036_38344f6ca3_b.jpg

4698592060_3666ec6f3d_b.jpg

Here it is compared to the stock rubber like skid plate

4698592760_da4bbb1a4f_b.jpg

4697958669_cd761e80db_b.jpg

When i redrilled the holes and made sure everything fit, i noticed that dirt, mud, salt, water and so on would still be able to get around the sides so i had a good idea. I cut up the stock skid plate and reused the sides that go up to the sides of the engine bay. Heres what i came up with.

4698594670_98f093d02c_b.jpg

4698595950_cf7e5bd727_b.jpg

So heres what it looks like on the car

4698603946_0cca281b20_b.jpg

4697990801_632fee526b_b.jpg

5106242968_c25bccc925_b.jpg

Fits like a glove/sock/hat/pants. so on. :icon_razz:

After i made this, i went back and drew it all out. Im missing the measurement for the rear holes and if under the car, ill measure and post it.

4698590308_9d8ecbc317_b.jpg

I think i am going to paint it because i dont want people getting offended that i used a road sign. In fact this is most likely illegal in some way. Either way, Enjoy and hope this helps people out.

**DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT ENCOURAGING ANYONE TO USE A ROAD SIGN OF ANY SORT. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY CAUSE TO STATE PROPERTY!**

Great idea! I love it, and I think it's great you're thinking of other people, but if I were you I'd leave it just like that.

Tim

Yea it looks cool. Reflects on oncoming traffic though. And the red might be a bad idea. So far no problems, no overheating or any nonsense. Works great, looks good.

I found doing oil changes on my Subie much easier and faster with my sump guard than dealing with all the plastic clips on the factory splash guard.

Either way y'all have it easy, my BudBuilt skid plate weighs 55lbs, has six bolts two of which require you to be a contortionist to install, and you have to use a floor jack to jack the skid plate up to get the bolt holes to line up.:raspberry: Worth it...Oh Yeah!!!

What is it made of Carl? Steel I assume but I know some are made from heavy guage aluminum. Wish I had the resources to build my own but the factory issue is doing ok for the time being.

I just had another read through, that's interesting. Most road signs are aluminum, and our local yard actually had a huge bin full of retired signs that can be bought at wholesale.

How did you bend the plate? Did you have access to a brake?

I just had another read through, that's interesting. Most road signs are aluminum, and our local yard actually had a huge bin full of retired signs that can be bought at wholesale.

How did you bend the plate? Did you have access to a brake?

I wish i did. I had a hard time figuring out how to bend it. I ended up wedging it between one of the posts that holds my fence and the house and bending it that way. I tried to put it in a vice and bend a section at a time, but that was messing it up. I tried to clamp a 2x4 on it and bend it over my work bench, nothin. Had to get creative...but it worked. :lol:

Well I tried to bend a 1/8" plate yesterday. The county must buy high grade aluminum. About an hour later, a few hammers, clamps, a battering ram and yelling...nothing. I gave in and bought a $40 3/16" plate steel at the yard. At least then I can cut and weld how I want it.

Back