OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > General Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

Old 7th October 2017, 06:00 AM

timbercomp is on a distinguished road
Default G'day from Hobart!

G'day, I'm JP in Hobart, have been reading here for a few weeks now and am absorbing as much as I can.

We picked up what seems to be a superb M99 Forester a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. We'd been thinking about a weekend/adventure car for a while, some of the approaches to hikes here in Tas can get a bit loose and lumpy, but the tipping point came when we needed to get our octavia pulled out of a roadside ditch on Gordon River Rd on the way out to Mount Anne, in the southwest wilderness area. We're a family of 4, with a 6 year old and am 11month old, and it was a bit of an eye opener out there, being totally dependent on passersby having gear and a capable car to pull us out, and for us to all get home safely.

So its been a good few weeks! I'm impressed with how well the car holds the road on corners, its a lot higher than our other car but body roll is notably less. The previous owner had been using the car for exactly the same purpose (accessing trail heads) and its fitted with some goodyear wranglers, which seem great to me.

This past weekend I took the car into the Walls of Jerusalem, on the Mersey Forest Rd, and the last coupe of hundred meters to the carpark there would definitely have stopped us in the past. After a couple of wet but excellent days up there, we headed west to the Tarkine and Arthur-Pieman conservation area. It looks like a lot of the 4WD tracks are re-opening there for the season and there were plenty of people about. We just went to a couple of beaches, having some good fun on some rough-ish tracks along the way.

I have fairly modest plans for the car, its due for its 200,000km major service soon and I'm planning to do that with a mate to take a good look around under the bonnet. My aim with the car is to be as self sufficient as we can when we head out, to avoid that feeling of relying on someone luckily coming by to help. Tassie has some pretty quiet corners!

Anyway, this is getting on in length. If there are any others here from Hobart, I wonder if people ever get together for a drive or a beer/coffee/meal?
Old 7th October 2017, 07:28 AM

havachat is on a distinguished road

Welcome,
Nice intro! You have a nice part of the world on your doorstep.
Old 8th October 2017, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Kevin is on a distinguished road

G'day & Welcome aboard JP!
Old 14th October 2017, 08:24 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

G'day JP

Awesome part of the world you live in. It's been a very looong time since I've been to the southwest, even then it was only as far south as the Franklin R. I hear Queenstown has some small plants growing now!!

The Tarkine area is high on my list of must see places before it's destroyed by logging. It's one of the very few places left in the world with a biological link to Gondwanaland, the ancient super-continent. You can see tree species that were around before the dinosaurs, before any animal life on land!

Your MY99 SF Forester is very capable offroad. Just remember it has open front & rear diffs, so if you drive over a diagonal rut & lift a front & rear wheel, you'll go nowhere. A fairly simple mod is a LSD rear diff. Don't bother with a viscous LSD, they're not much better than open. Keep looking for a JDM WRX STi clutch LSD. These are the bees knees & will get you out of trouble even with diagonally lifted wheels
Old 15th October 2017, 07:51 AM

Ah, thanks so much for that Nacha! Good to know what the easier wins are for big improvements.
Old 18th October 2017, 09:41 PM

Liam is on a distinguished road

G'day mate.
Just took my 01 Foz out to Lake Skinner out of Judbury. It was a decent 35 minute track that was probably a bit too full on for what i thought the foz could do. However it smashed it without any issues at all. I love how suited the Foresters are to the tracks down here, easy enough to drive in town and still able to get out onto some medium tracks.
Good purchase, hope you enjoy it!
Old 20th October 2017, 01:25 AM

tasscube is on a distinguished road

G'day timbercomp
there are many Tassie members on here but never seem to be coordinated enough to organize get togethers but i'm hopeful one day, you should meanwhile check out some other sites on facebook such as foztrek and offroad subarus Australia, good sites to get info on modifications as well as here of course
Old 20th October 2017, 02:47 AM

Liam, Tasscube, gday and thanks for your info! I think lake Skinner was the last trip the previous owner took the car on before selling it. I'm definitely keen to get over there, especially since it's close by. Those Facebook groups look good, too!
I really enjoy mountain biking and am pretty obsessive about tyres, and over the past couple of weeks this has spilled over into car tyres, specifically A/T tyres for the Forester. I'm wasting way, waaaaay too much time thinking about what to put on next, considering there is probably 30,000 km or so left of the current set. I'm loving it though
Old 20th October 2017, 08:33 PM

tasscube is on a distinguished road

Yeah I understand it is my belief (not necessarily those of others on here) that AT tyres are the first thing I recommend people should get if serious about dirt road driving, not so much for grip but the durability of them, I had 2 sets of coopers atr's for over 160,000km and experienced 1 flat in that time, they have since stopped making them in the standard 205/70 r15, but now have a set of Bridgestone at's in the shed on rims and have maxxis mud tyres currently on the car, can interchange them if doing a long road trip. Standard steel rims are cheap from wreckers anywhere. The next thing I would get would be a set of recovery tracks, 4 would be good but 2 will help get you out of trouble, give you a bit of peace of mind if travelling solo, good luck !