OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > General Forums > Members Journals

Notices

Old 11th May 2017, 03:33 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Also tie the 2 posts together. Basically, the more reinforcing you can have to the cantilever posts the better. Don't think about it in terms of a slow steady push, imagine it bending rapidly back & forth like bending a thin piece of metal in you hands back & forth until it snaps. Metal fatigue is the enemy here
Old 11th May 2017, 01:45 PM

Jeremiahs22 is on a distinguished road

Tying them together was my original plan because it helps the most for the least amount of tubing, but I have to wait and see if I have enough room for a tube to fit under and in between the coilovers. Also, we did some math (my friend did most) and figured out that the bending force on the 1/2" bolt that supports the two heims for the cantilever will only undergo less than 50,000psi of bending force (grade 8 can withstand 150,000psi minimum). But that's not taking into consideration the damping Force applied by the shock, and it's complimentary force applied by the wheel. The calculations are based on full static loading at all angles of the cantilever's range, with both forces applied. So for now we're looking safe in that regard. Might end up just having to huck it with no hood or fenders to test it, incase the cantilever gets launched out of the engine bay lol.
Old 16th May 2017, 01:31 AM

kiwifoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahs22 View Post
I wanted to but R16 tires of that diameter range are all so heavy because they are a load range E usually. The 33x10.5r15 I want to run are load range C. The other nice thing about 15 inch wheels are that a lot of tire companies make race only (non dot) tires for them that are super light which could be beneficial later.
That's true, hadn't considered load rating.
Old 18th May 2017, 02:32 AM

Update: This is what I was thinking for the rear shock mounts:

DSC02011 by jeremiah stewart, on Flickr

It's 1.75 DOM mounted via 2 1/2" bolts sandwiching the rear sheet metal (multiple layers about 1/8" thick total) with a backing plate, and mounted to the C-pillar seat belt holes with the factory M13 bolts (3 per side). The bar spanning the width of the car is just for added C-pillar support.

DSC02012 by jeremiah stewart, on Flickr

DSC02015 by jeremiah stewart, on Flickr

I'm thinking about adding a gusset of some sort to the top of the shock hoop, and then rotating the lower shock mount so there is no misalignment through it's stroke. What do you guys think? I figure the worst that could happen is the shocks go shooting through the roof or out the windows lol.
Old 18th May 2017, 02:48 AM
Administrator

Kevin is on a distinguished road

Good to see the rear wheel arches are not taking any stress as they are prone to cracking the spot welds.

Are you building a wardrobe in there as well - kool!
Old 18th May 2017, 08:37 AM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Jeremiah, if you're still looking for front CV axles, the Subaru SVX's 3.3 will be perfect for you ! Inner CV's are plug and play on the male EJ gearbox, are much larger and take more than 30 angle. Outer CV's are larger too and will fit if you change the dust seal for a thinner one, or you can swap the outer SVX CV for a standard Forester, Legacy, Impreza one.

My next upgrade, already have one and am looking for another one at the wreckers !
Old 15th June 2017, 01:08 AM

Well as hard as I tried, I did not have the Forester done in time for the road trip due to having to move out sooner than was really managable. But last Tuesday, we pulled an all-nighter to put the entire suspension, brake system, interior back together so that I could take to a driveshaft shop and a shop to get the front wheel bearings done. This was how high we had to jack it up in the garage to get the 30's on:

DSC02146 jpeg by jeremiah stewart, on Flickr

It ran like garbage all the way to work Wednesday morning; cutting out, hunting for idle, dying at stops. The annoying thing was that the only way to get the driveshaft done in time was to spend my lunch break installing the rear diff and removing the driveshaft to take it to the place with measurements, and furthermore, to also uninstall the knuckles to get new wheel bearings pressed in. I ended up leaving the Forester at work until Friday night, spending the last few days to get all moved out of the apartment. Oh, I guess on Thursday night is when I tried to drive it back home to fill it with junk to store for the summer because I had a new plan for the roadtrip. But not even half way home, the fuel pump died. This made sense considering the odd runability with no codes. So it was already midnight at that point, and we had to drive over to the next town of North Pole to get a fuel pump from a friend. With that installed, I fired it up and it ran like a champ but the serpentine belt was screeching like a mofo because it was brand new and stretched a bit. I killed the engine, tightened the belt, and then it wouldn't start! It had a code for the IACV, so we went home, took the one off of my Impreza, drove back and swapped it onto the Forester with no luck; same issue, same code. It was 3am at this point and I was defeated. We pushed it into the trees off the road and left it. Friday night after my last day of work, we towed it with a strap to a friends house where it will sit all summer.

This is what it looks like currently:

DSC02156 jpeg by jeremiah stewart, on Flickr

Although this whole ordeal really made me want to give up entirely, I'll be back in the fall to do something with it. At this point I definitely don't see myself making it to the Mex 1k next April lol.
Old 15th June 2017, 08:48 AM

duncanm is on a distinguished road

wow - what an amazing beast you've made.

I can't see how a couple of trifling engine gremlins could stop you !
Old 15th June 2017, 09:01 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

I know you're feeling down but don't give up, you'll get there. You're doing a complete ground up build of a new design (not a rebuild) so there will be many setbacks. Just work through each one, one at a time, & you'll get it done

Looking great so far!
Old 15th June 2017, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Amazing things never come about without pain.