OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > News, Recalls, Rumors and Media

Notices

Unread 25th July 2014, 10:34 AM

subyroo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post

No vehicle ever leaves his workshop without all the other stuff being checked. I have often noticed that there will be notations on the invoice for some obscure (minor) thing being rectified or replaced. The mechanics obviously give all cars a careful, thorough examination, even when they only come in for a straightforward intermediate service.

Major services are always itemised. Anything out of the ordinary that arises causes him to ring up with the bad news, a rough pricing and find out what one wants done about it, and when.

I have referred a few people to him over the years, and they always rave about the level of service they get from him, so he obviously treats everyone the same. One of our female friends who knows lots about cars said "He didn't treat me like some kind of ignorant female bimbo. He treated me as a human being." Interesting observation, that. I would not have thought otherwise of Ross.

Just good people to deal with.

Sounds exactly like the service I used to get at Boxer Service in Brendale QLD.
I say used too as I don't have a Suby anymore.
Unread 26th July 2014, 01:57 AM
Forum Member

guzzla is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyroo View Post
Sounds exactly like the service I used to get at Boxer Service in Brendale QLD.
I say used too as I don't have a Suby anymore.
Don't read the latest edition of "Wheels" (Aug) then where they did a comparison of 10 mid-size soft roaders. The Forester was named No1 but I won't say which one came 9th.
Unread 26th July 2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzla View Post
Don't read the latest edition of "Wheels" (Aug) then where they did a comparison of 10 mid-size soft roaders. The Forester was named No1 but I won't say which one came 9th.
#9 suits my current needs and I don't get raped for Services and parts and I'm not stuck with the tyre tolerance when 1 x replacement is required.

Yes!, the 2003 Forester served me well and luckily I never needed to replace anything major in the 220,000 kms that I had it for.
Times and needs change and Subaru could not fill my needs any longer.

Unread 26th July 2014, 10:09 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2014
Model: XV 2.0i-L "Black" Edition
Transmission: 6MT
aware is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately it is too little, too late from Subaru. They also won't provide the cost of the service to you until you ring them for a quote (unless you have a 2014 - where it is on the website) - meaning that it may be capped - but at what price? From a consumer point of view, how does this provide transparency, and confidence in what you are paying?

The 05 is a keeper for now at least, as I'm still very happy with it and will miss it when the time comes to move it on. (and due to working in the city, it spends most of its time in the garage and therefore doesn't need to be replaced).

In regards to the Wheels test - that's all well and good, but at the end of the day they are journos, and don't have to live with the car. They don't experience the Subaru service experience, nor the 'They all do that' if a problem arises. And I'm not convinced that the Subaru is the best out of all of them, even if Wheels says it is.

Last edited by aware; 14th August 2014 at 08:52 AM.
Unread 27th July 2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aware View Post
In regards to the Wheels test - that's all well and good, but at the end of the day they are journos, and don't have to live with the car. They don't experience the Subaru service experience, nor the 'They all do that' if a problem arises. And I'm not convinced that the Subaru is the best out of all of them, even if Wheels says it is.
I agree.
Unread 20th October 2014, 07:41 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

Had the wife's 2011 SH Forester serviced today at Subaru Doncaster. First they tried to encourage me to have a log book service at close to $400 for what appeared to be not much more than a minor service.
After some debate they agreed I could get a fixed price service at $249. I laughed when they (the dealer she bought it from) wanted to know where we bought it from. So basically got an oil and filter change and numerous checks, which I bet weren't done. Despite telling them the cabin pollen filter did not need to be changed or the wiper blades replaced, I got the phone call trying to get me to agree!
Interestingly the car is using a bit of oil and I note that the oil being used is synth 0w20. This grade of oil seems way too low.
Two more years of warranty then I can get someone of my choice to do it.
Unread 20th October 2014, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday HC

No way would I use 0W-20 oil in any car in Oz.

I use 5W-40 FS Shell Helix Ultra in our SG and SH (the SH has an EJ-253 donk in it). They do not use any measurable amount of oil between changes (12,500 Kms or 24 months, whichever occurs first ... ). Roo2 had its oil changed at 24 months and 10,000 kms, and the old oil looked nearly as good as it did when new. It also felt good between my fingers.

Coming into our Summer, 0W-20 is just not up to snuff, and if you read the OM carefully, it basically tells you to use 5W-30 FS, and then goes on to recommend 10W-40 or 20W-50 of using the car for towing or under harsh conditions ...

5W-40 has the same low temperature (i.e. starting conditions) as 0W-20 for all practical purposes unless you live in Antarctica or Siberia ... .
It has about 15C higher ambient temperature rating than 0W-20 ...

If I were you, I would drain the 0W-20 out and replace it with Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 FS ... Put the cost down to experience.

Secondly, you are under no obligation whatsoever to use Subaru Stealerships for servicing, even under warranty. They cannot void or change the warranty in any way if you choose to use a properly accredited mechanic, or even Dial-a-Lube, or whatever they are called. The law was changed at least 15-20 years ago to stop this rort ... IIRC.

I am extremely weary right now, but we can discuss this tomorrow if you like, or at club at the end of the month.
Unread 20th October 2014, 08:51 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Year: MY05
Model: Forester
Transmission: XT lux manual
lefty is on a distinguished road

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...?pg=1#comments
Unread 20th October 2014, 10:23 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

RB, I will need to look deeper into the owners hand book as I am surprised at the grade used. I raised this issue with Subaru but haven't got a response.

Lefty, an interesting read.
Unread 21st October 2014, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by havachat View Post
RB, I will need to look deeper into the owners hand book as I am surprised at the grade used. I raised this issue with Subaru but haven't got a response.
What a surprise ... .

Just checked both the SG (p.11-17) and SH (p.11-20) OMs.

For non-turbo 2.5L SG, 0W-20 FS is recommended, yet the maximum ambient temperature recommended for this oil is 40C!! What a joke for Oz conditions (and lots of other parts of the world ... )! Fried engine, anyone?

For the non-turbo 2.0L SH, 0W-20 FS is recommended, yet the maximum ambient temperature recommended for this oil is again 40C!!
Personally, I would put it at more like 30C ambient ...

5W-30 FS is recommended for all N/A AND Turbo 2.5L SH engines (EJ-253 variants). The N/A engine in our SH is an EJ-253, same as the one in our N/A SG ...

Both manuals state: "However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.".

Interpreting this statement means:

a) for the SG that one needs at least 5W-30 FS, and preferably 5W-40 FS.

b) for the SH 2.5L that at least 5W-30 FS is mandatory under all conditions, and preferably 5W-40 FS. Why is the 0W-20 FS recommendation suddenly dropped from the SH OM?

I stress again that both our cars have slightly differing versions of the EJ-253 N/A engine ...

The 2011 SH had the FB engine, IIRC, but oil viscosity is oil viscosity in my books, and high ambient temperatures require a decent maximum viscosity index to handle them without cooking one's engine bits ...

Quote:
Lefty, an interesting read.
Agreed.

However, the workshop type ECU (etc) analyser that any respectable workshop will own should be able to adequately interpret all codes. After all, almost all engines now use OBDC II, which are supposedly a set of standards ...

Tags
capped price service