OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Planned Trips

Notices

Unread 31st July 2008, 09:00 AM

just_bj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now Keith Moon's book would be interesting, but maybe not as useful as Ron Moon's!
Clearly I've had too much sex drugs and rock and roll!
Unread 31st July 2008, 09:35 AM

apsilon is on a distinguished road

I figured out it wasn't written by a member of The Who when I started looking LOL.

Sounds like Cooktown and the coast road is a must.

Thanks for the tips on the Cape to NT section Nick. That's one area that I haven't found much info on yet. I get the impression not too many do the Cape and immediately head over to Kakadu etc.

Trucks won't be a problem. I have no problem pulling over for a few minutes and waiting. I'm sort oif interested to see a road train first hand. I've worked in manufacturing industries the past 10 years so I've seen more B doubles than I can count but nothing bigger.

I'd rather have to drop a few destinations than try and rush through and risk an accident. That way there's always a next time for the stuff missed.
Unread 31st July 2008, 06:35 PM

just_bj is on a distinguished road

If you want to see the Wolf Creek meteor site you have to spend some time at the Bungle Bungles on the way. I haven't - the trip I did went from Alice Springs up the Tanami Track to Halls Creek then west to Derby and Broome.

Wolf Creek is pretty spectacular. There is a camping area close so I would plan to be there for sunset and sunrise as the long shadows accentuate the crater shape. The Tanami Track is quite a good gravel road because there is a gold mine which is serviced by road trains. Not a lot to see but the old Granite gold mine is worth a stop to look at the machinery ruins.

I've only done part of the top of Northern Territory but would recommend Ubbir Rock, the Yellow Waters cruise (again plan to be there for sunset), Kathrine Gorge and Edith Falls, and Lithchfield National Park.
Unread 31st July 2008, 09:28 PM
Forum Member

dicknose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
Trucks won't be a problem. I have no problem pulling over for a few minutes and waiting. I'm sort oif interested to see a road train first hand. I've worked in manufacturing industries the past 10 years so I've seen more B doubles than I can count but nothing bigger.
Trucks arent a problem when you have some visibility.
But I got a huge shock when I went from NT into Qld. Went from long straight flat roads to having rolling "dippers" with terrible visibility. Over each crest you are worried there is something coming that you didnt see on the last crest. You look out for dust, but its hard when you pass someone and now another vehicles dust wont be so noticable (even if the road is sealed you can see dust pulled up off the sides)
The road was also poor and you need to move to the shoulder for trucks.

It was just such a change coming from no speed limit, sitting on 160, and trucks were no problem in either direction. Then Im doing 100, slowing to more like 80 on the dippers and having to be ready to slow and pull off if someone is coming towards me.
Unread 3rd August 2008, 01:22 AM

True, it's something you need to be wary of but really it's not different than driving anywhere. Just as one example I've driven the Old Pac more times than I can count and similarly more times than I'd like to think about I've had a car or bike come around a bend hanging over the centre line onto my side of the road.

Yes it's more dangerous when the road is even narrower and when you're towing but you just have to be aware and prepared as best as possible.
Unread 3rd August 2008, 09:57 AM
Forum Member

PaulK is on a distinguished road

Well. If you get to Adelaide, I'm happy to assist in some way. PM me for my personal contact details if required.
Unread 4th August 2008, 12:10 AM

Will do, thanks. I mostly likely won't make it to Adelaide this trip. I'm going to either try the Simpson crossing or I'll have run out of time and hence just make a beeline from Alice to Sydney Once this one is out of the way I'll be planning a similar trip covering VIC, SA and WA.
Unread 4th August 2008, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

When I catch up on everything I can give some details, itinerary etc. Kakadu, Lawn Hill, Litchfield etc all worth a visit for sure.
Unread 4th August 2008, 04:05 AM

That'd be fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing a trip report and pics from your recent journey as well.
Unread 11th August 2008, 04:37 AM

Bumper is on a distinguished road

Hi Apsilon,

Two weeks until I leave on my Big Trip: Sydney, Flinders Ranges, Ularu, Alice, Tennant Ck, Normanton, Longreach, Sydney. Planning on about 10,000 km. I'll let you know what I find...

I'm planning on doing part of the Oodnadatta Track, but it will depend on weather and fuel consumption. Hopefully we'll go as far as William Creek, the cut back across to Coober Pedy. Sooo looking forward to this! Can't wait to post some pics.

The single biggest thing I've discovered so far is you need about six months more income than you budgeted to get the vehicle ready

2" lift - I drive a higher car!:lol: