Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road
Default VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
the earlier models don't have VDC, a huge advantage offroad.
what you talking about ? what advantage offroad ? and who tell you keep VDC on if you dont like it turn it off. but anyways if anything VDC traction control just gives you advantages in most situations on tracks.
Unread 25th May 2018, 01:52 PM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

@scalman, Nachaluva is saying that VDC is a huge advantage offroad and that earlier models didn't have it

Last edited by jf1sf5; 25th May 2018 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 25th May 2018, 07:40 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Yes, I didn't say that clearly, I mean VDC is a huge advantage offroad. TC isn't, you should turn that off & leave VDC on. This video shows just how good it is!

https://www.facebook.com/subieliftoz...ment&ref=notif
Unread 26th May 2018, 05:28 AM
Forum Member

i did plenty of videos and even thread in other forum about how good VDC model can be in offroad situations. just VDC it is model name on older outbacks and traction control is system that VDC using . newer models have X mode on top of that as well. i allways called that VDC as name but its using traction control of sorts .

in all those tests i did test same with VDC off and car was just standing in one place spinning wheels and digging holes.
Unread 26th May 2018, 05:34 AM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
just VDC it is model name on older outbacks and traction control is system that VDC using . newer models have X mode on top of that as well. i allways called that VDC as name but its using traction control of sorts.

I thouight traction control reduced power and fiddled with brakes to stop the wheels slipping, whereas VDC actually directs power to that front/rear as needed (i.e slipping at front so direct power to rear)?
Unread 26th May 2018, 05:41 AM
Forum Member

i was reading somewhere little info what VDC is , it seems thats its all things in one it uses traction control and brakes and reduces engine power.

Quote:
VDC incorporates a host of different technologies to prevent skids and accidents. Throw some vegetable broth in there and you'll have alphabet soup.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC): In situations such as a vehicle losing control due to unexpected understeer or oversteer, individual brakes are applied, engine power is reduced and torque distribution is shifted to regain vehicle stability, therefore aiding driver control.

Traction Control System (TCS): Reduces engine power to minimize wheel slip.

TCS Limited Slip Device (LSD): Transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip to help maintain traction and control.

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS): Providing significant driver assistance in minimizing stopping distance and maintaining vehicle control under brakes. ABS maintains control to enable the driver to steer around obstacles and reduce stopping distances.

Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD): Is the electronic control of braking pressure to the front and rear wheels all the time.

Brake Assist: Is a driver assistance system that works to minimize stopping distances in emergency situations by ensuring stopping power is maximized.
so i guess is not fair to call VDC just traction control. its all things in one. as much as i tested my system it will reduce engine power to wheels so they not spin too much and if that doesnt helps it uses brakes too. but sometime with that reducing power its hurts itself too as you have not much power to go uphill. but in most cases its just great in offroading. mud , snow , gravel, grass it helps in that all.

now im wondering with model as mine that didint had VDC off button and later models that have button is it same or its turning off slightly different systems. as im shutting down all VDC and its never starts work , but ABS works , where newer models have button for traction control but it cames up working at higher speeds again. mine its off on all speeds no matter what. i guess noone knows that as its no info about it.

and about VDC it should work differently with diff tires ones have more grip and other less, so it would be not same as well. i guess my VDC really love my tires as it grips just so well. on light mud uphills i drive up and i dont even have not one wheel spin there it just anticipate slippage before its happen. thats big advantage subaru VDC system vs others awd cars traction control systems as they engaging just after slippage happen.

thats one of first videos that i made to test VDC and i think its one of the best ones. how good VDC is on snow. its not soft snow its little packed so its very slippery as you can see VDC off not going anywhere even with momentum , and VDC on and 2nd gear just makes magic

this test did using same amount acceleration so in case VDC off its just start spin wheels and continues with revs rising and VDC on dont let revs raise its just finds grip and moves car forward as if it was nothing. so older subaru with active AWD system preVDC models would not go nowhere in that situation.
and antoher advantage older models have are fixed gears 1,2,3. on 2nd gear on snow its just climbs perfectly reducing wheel spin

another good example of VDC. going as slow as i can from stop. and that going uphill more then it looks in video. one front wheel is almost in air so those rear wheels wanna spin but second as it tries spin VDC kicks in and find grip on other front wheel

i think on situations it could be better thing then locker, like on snow, locker just locks it but it will still spin wheels and dig holes, where VDC will try to stop spinning wheels without grip. well newer Toyota prado models proved that they can be even better in deep mud just with traction control then those older land cruisers with tons mods and lockers.

Last edited by scalman; 26th May 2018 at 06:15 AM.
Unread 28th May 2018, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

The simple way to think of it is traction control reduces engine power to stop you skidding while accelerating in slippery conditions. This is bad for offroad.

VDC applies the brakes to a wheel that is spinning. This is great for most offroading, eg when lifting a wheel on steep rocky tracks. It's bad for driving on soft sand where you want the tyres to be spinning & you want no braking & max power
Unread 28th May 2018, 04:03 PM
Forum Member

Vdc uses all systems traction control as well depend on situation. Iys not bad its good thing. Its reducing engine power yes but it gives just enough power so car could move forward. If its not enough it gives more power. With vdc off im turning off all those systems its good for fun and when you need momentum for some reason. But i never yet found myself in situation where i would want turn off vdc. My gifs show just that. In all those situations vdc off would not go forward.
Unread 4th June 2018, 01:10 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
The simple way to think of it is traction control reduces engine power to stop you skidding while accelerating in slippery conditions. This is bad for offroad.

VDC applies the brakes to a wheel that is spinning. This is great for most offroading, eg when lifting a wheel on steep rocky tracks. It's bad for driving on soft sand where you want the tyres to be spinning & you want no braking & max power
I participated in a sand driving course run by Isuzu Ute Australia on Moreton Island in my son-in-laws new ute and they were very definite about turning VDC off when driving in soft sand. I've tried it both ways on the track in to Bribie Island Beach and couldn't tell the difference but generally I follow the advice of those with more experience and keep it off in soft sand.
Unread 4th June 2018, 01:34 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
I participated in a sand driving course run by Isuzu Ute Australia on Moreton Island in my son-in-laws new ute and they were very definite about turning VDC off when driving in soft sand.
Yeah definitely. I haven't used VDC on sand yet but the guys in WA talk about this all the time.

Quote:
I've tried it both ways on the track in to Bribie Island Beach and couldn't tell the difference but generally I follow the advice of those with more experience and keep it off in soft sand.
You can't switch off VDC in a Subaru, only way to do it is to pull the fuse. In some models that causes problems with steering & other systems. No one's been able to work out a good way to do it yet