Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarney View Post
Your right that setting uses a lot of space editing will be a nightmare if you haven't got a lightning fast computer
I use the phone app to operate the Gopro it's so much easier to change settings quickly
I love the video quality i use 1080p

Jan
That's fine if you use an Android (virus filter ... ) or an iPhone (let's not go there ... ). I have a Blackberry, because it works extremely well as a phone ...

Thanks for the input, and I will experiment with the Protune and see how much of a hit it makes on my main workstation.

Gidday Sam

A warm to the ORS forum, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanSam View Post
Hey mate, I am an avid gopro user and tech head so I might be able to help!
Thanks .

Quote:
You seem to be on the right track, I would avoid the narrow FOV though because you will get better quality with the wide. Long story short the narrow FOV uses a smaller part of the sensor which is then "blown up" to the correct size, this is useful if you don't want the "fisheye" effect where the corners of the image are slightly curved, with the wide FOV the image does not get stretched and thus is a bit clearer.
I can see this. I have an ultra wide angle zoom for my dSLR (actually, 2 of them ... ). Both of these are ultra-rectilinear if used 'properly' (i.e. not for the distortion effects that they are capable of producing). De-fishing can introduce its own (serious data loss) problems.

I think that after a bit of experimenting, I will probably settle on the intermediate (Medium) setting. However, 5 good MPx is better than 12 crappy ones, IMO. I can print to 22 x 17 " from my 5 MPx dSLR on fine art papers.

The GoPro should also hammer the 5 MPx phone camera for IQ, no matter what! Considering that the phone cam video IQ is pretty acceptable, I reckon that I should be happy with that of the Hero3 Black.

Quote:
For car stuff I can't recommend the suction cup mount highly enough, it is rated for 150mph (apparently). I stuck mine to my desk and actually lifted the desk off the ground without it coming unstuck, so I trust it on the car haha.
Which suction cup mount is this? NL mentioned it earlier, but it is more than hard to tell just by looking at one ...

Quote:
EDIT: If you want to read up on your gopro in depth I bought this book and it helped me heaps with the tech jargon: http://projectgo.pro/ - worth the read if you want to know the thing inside and out.
Thanks for that link. I am pretty savvy with tech stuff of all descriptions, and cameras/photography in particular. I also have this idea that reading TFM helps . Books are a basic gold mine of info. Shame that more people don't seem inclined to buy or read them ... All of our knowledge as a species is locked up in books (whether printed or electronic).
Unread 20th January 2014, 08:11 AM
Forum Member

TasmanSam is on a distinguished road

Here you go: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/suction-cup

Most surf/outdoor shops stock them, I think hardly normal might even do them for a better price. I paid $42 for mine.
Unread 21st January 2014, 02:49 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

G'day TasmanSam & to ORS.

Regards
Mr Turbo
Unread 22nd January 2014, 05:45 AM
Forum Member

TasmanSam is on a distinguished road

Cheers for the welcomes guys! I will have an introduction/trip report up once my NBN gets fixed
Unread 22nd January 2014, 05:50 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

Fantastic

I'll be looking forward to it

Regards
Mr Turbo

Tags
cameras, gopro, gopro hero