Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > General Forums > General Forum

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10th December 2017, 07:57 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

sure i get it why forester is better in that way. i could get dual range outback too but i chose auto. and i think its almost as capable and without mods manual burns very fast on foresters. and 4eat is like tank its just goes.
and if you put lots money you can make almost any car as good as you need it.
about capability offroad i remember was watching this video about new forester with x mode and how VDC works vs x mode vs both vs none
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BtRkjC-8gc&t=320s
that VDC is still some mystery for me like how it works and how it does that magic that car moves forward in harsh situations.

about those 1st gen subarus that all driving in youtube. they not stock ones i presume . because what we have here with dual range are 2.0 NA machines that cannot go very much not in city neither in offroad. some impreza with forester shocks lifted would go very good too, even lighter then forester and smaller. we have dual range old imprezas here too
Old 10th December 2017, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

It is impossible to overstate how bad the Outback angles are. Even with the 2" lift and 1" bigger tires, I have poor angles as opposed to dreadful angles.

Some Forester models start with much better angles. So after a lift and with bigger tires, they get into some decent territory.

VDC just uses the brakes to stop spinning wheels. Everybody is using this. In the US, Toyota started in 2000, Nissan in 2005, Jeep in 2007, Subaru put it on all models in 2010.

It is a very effective system but it is limited in rocks. This is why the high-end models still offer a traditional locker in the rear, with the Rubicon also up front (speaking of the US).

I strongly disagree with "put lots of money," unless you have the right platform from the get go. As mentioned above, what constitutes the "right platform" will vary by the terrain and by the market realities in different countries.

Last edited by MiddleAgeSubie; 10th December 2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11th December 2017, 04:44 AM

My approach angle now is about 28' . doesnt seem that lower then forester with 2" lift with bumper
I just call vdc as model vdc with new awd system which is not same as old active awd system .vdc models not just using abs to brake wheels its have all bunch of sensors and does much more for traction. i can see why those forester videos everywhere need momentum, they just rush to go or else they not going anywhere. Thats with stock diffs and such. And with speed you brake things i proved in my video what vdc does in snow vs no vdc. It just lets you go slower. I used it in mud too and it works as well for me. And active awd with auto its just 90/10 awd to start with. And depends where you going and where you live you might be no need more angles. I would choose anyday vdc awd system against old active awd with better angles. Its like 4x4 with open diffs vs newer 4x4 with traction control.

Quote:
On vehicles with automatic transmissions, to retain/regain vehicle stability VDC tries to adjust the front/rear torque split to balance the available traction, rather than applying brake force. If the total traction is still not enough for stability and wheels continue to spin, the system will then use braking and reduced engine power to reduce momentum and help regain control.
its lot of things comes into VDC as name
Quote:
Traction Control, Electronic Stability, Limited-Slip Device, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), and Brake Assist are all components of the Vehicle Dynamics Control System (VDC).
Quote:
"The components of the VDC system are:
Direction: uses brakes to slow down wheels to reduce spin and help control vehicle direction.
Skidding: yaw and steering wheel sensors use brakes to slow down spinning wheels and re-direct power to the wheel(s) with the best traction to re-gain control.
Engine power: controls engine output to slow spinning by reducing spark to cylinders to cut back power and help re-gain control."
just going slowly on snow trying to climb that hill

it failing to even move, ok lets give it another try with some momentum

almost , but didint went any further.
lets try now VDC on 2nd gear.

Last edited by scalman; 11th December 2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11th December 2017, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Yup, 28 degrees is a decent AA, but your front bumper ain't exactly stock anymore!

Nice videos!
Old 11th December 2017, 01:08 PM

just don't tell MOT about that. i just passed that . they went : there is something missing in your front bumper does it? i was : umm not sure what you mean it was like that . they : OK . passed . lol
Old 11th December 2017, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

^