OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Under the Bonnet/Hood

Notices

User Tag List

Old 6th December 2011, 01:18 AM

jonbob is on a distinguished road

Grump,

The head gasket issue with the EJ25 engines was sorted out around end of 2002. The cars affected are typically MY03 Foz and OB with engine built in '02. I had the issue with my old MY03 Forester. My mechanic had the engine out and changed to head gaskets from a later model - all up around $1500 including new timing belt. But it isn't a given that you will have a problem.

Typically you can spot the problem from either coolant or oil (or both) weeping from the head gasket. Most common to start from the underside of the front left hand side of the motor. If you are topping up your coolant regularly, you may have a problem (I was topping up every 5000km from around 110,000km).

If you were using genuine Subaru coolant for that model, it may have contained an additive to stop or slow the leaking.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Old 6th December 2011, 08:56 AM

grump is on a distinguished road

Well that's a relief - thanks Jon.
Old 7th December 2011, 09:22 AM

eddie351gt is on a distinguished road

well i got the car serviced, and full saftey check done, my mechanic said that the car is in reall good condition considering the km (323000) but it needs a new tail shaft centre bearing. Ive read that these can be very expensive through subaru,

what other tailshafts (ie liberty wagon) are interchangeable with the outback? and is a manual tailshaft the same length as an auto one?

what have other people done in the past to remedy a sh!tty centre bearing? is it worthwhile me getting a custom one peice tail shaft made up? or what would you guys recommend.

cheers lads

Eddie
Old 7th August 2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grump View Post
Well that's a relief - thanks Jon.
Well, nearly 6 years since I posted that.

The OB is presently in TopTorque's workshop getting the leaky head gaskets changed - as well as rings, clutch (still had a dual-mass), radiator and other assorted engine bits. Will cost more than the second hand value of the car, but I reckon it's worth doing, as it's still a nice car.

BTW its done 198,000 km and was built in October 2002, so it falls within the dodgy gasket range mentioned a few posts above.
Old 7th August 2017, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Both our EJ253 engine Foresters have slightly weeping head gaskets, oil only to outside of engine. They are MY06 and MY10. Neither engine uses a measurable amount of oil between oil changes - 24 months/12,000 Kms. I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic in both engines.
Old 7th August 2017, 08:49 AM

Year: 2002
Model: MY03 Forester
Transmission: 5 sp manual
ateday is on a distinguished road

I must have fluked a good `un.
MY 03 15 years old from new, 354000 km original motor, head gaskets and engine oil seals.
Many other bits have failed over the years. Some on a, more or less, regular basis such as boots, radiators and clutch thrust bearings.
Otherwise motor runs smoothly and uses a bit of oil between changes but not a lot. I estimate about 500 mls max between my 5000 km change intervals. Although a small leak from rear engine oil seal.
Needs now, I think, a new alternator and a new front passenger inner CV joint. Costs more in repairs and services than it is worth......
Old 7th August 2017, 08:09 PM

Yes, it was only leaking on the outside afaik. Oil from the left bank, coolant from the right.