• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

"Subarufalia" car-camping thread

Being 5'6', I can fit without even moving the seats fully forward. I chose a 2in thick foam mattress, as inflatable mattresses have always failed me. And I didn't want to get a mattress that's too thick so there's vertical space left to... you know... activities :biggrin:

Well, that, and not taking up too much cargo space, but this is secondary :biggrin:

Alright I finally got something to show on this oh! so thrilling saturday night at home.

600162_4285394819758_1167176762_n.jpg

More pics in my journal:
https://offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=46570&postcount=25

Last edited:
If you squint with a willing eye you can see my quick set up. I've got awnings and anexes but I'm very lazy.

527e6e3f.jpg

It's by kulkyne kampers and the whole kit is good quality and the price was very reasonable.

Looks like you're right at home, even down to the laptop :rotfl:
Hell yeah! But it's not 'cause I'm addicted to my PC :lol: if you look closely, it's an Android tablet running Backcountry Navigator (topo maps) :)

If you squint with a willing eye you can see my quick set up. I've got awnings and anexes but I'm very lazy.

527e6e3f.jpg

It's by kulkyne kampers and the whole kit is good quality and the price was very reasonable.

I just want to know where you purchased the panda chair...

All kidding aside, that is a cool set-up.

I've just spent a few days at Rocklands Reservoir, west of the Grampians, and since it was raining, I used my awning tent for eating and preparing meals. Slept in the car as usual - see the first page of this thread for photos. This was the first time this tent has been wet!

aIMG_2566.jpg

Have you done anything to stop the corners of the tailgate damaging the tent in strong winds?

It's not an issue at all. The corners on later models are round and very smooth. One problem though is that mud and dirt on the tailgate gets smeared on the inside of the tent.

Just thought I would share my camping set up. Still working on getting the interior of the car set up just right. I have an ARB fridge/freezer and I will be building storage inside in the near future.

IMG_0349.jpg

It must be good getting a hit from that strut brace in the middle of the night when you roll over!

Here's Subaruby on our last outing together:

dsc4090wyperfield.jpg

And from the same trip, here's my setup that still in the "refining process"

dsc4083z.jpg

I love the roof top tent, so easy! I'm yet to try it out in the wet, that'll be an experience.

Things to do now: build a rear cargo storage area incorporating the engel (fridge) and second battery, spare parts storage, recovery gear with easy access, food storage, clothing storage and a "kitchen bench" arrangement that'll hopefully swing out and stand independent of the vehicle if need be...

It's all drawn up in my head! (hopefully it'll work!)

Cheers
Bennie

While I haven't got a setup for my 2010 Forester Diesel or my 2003 Forester XS I have started to chat with a fella who has a company that is into converting your ride into a suitable camper for more than just a weekend sojourn. His name is Dick and the website is www.insideoutbackcampers.com.au It's well worth a look some really clever ways to mod the vehicle and the mods are reversible. Cheers

I'm worried the torsional shear on the roof racks would be a lot!

What about some supporting strut poles and guy ropes (blue)?

wuqgrn.jpg

Back