Big Desert/Wyperfeld

Cammo

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Finally took off for the intended trip on May 21st. The the first day was uneventful, just travelling to Wyperfeld and making camp in the late afternoon at Snowdrift camp ground.
Next morning we climbed the sand dune to witness sunrise and take in the beaufiful vista. Also had a chat to the Parks ranger who we bumped into.
We then did a leisurely lap of Wirrengren plain including stops at O'Sullivan's lookout, the old redgum tree and Kelly's lookout.

Then headed up Gunners track and turned west into Firebreak Trk which jags along the northern boundary of the national park and borders vast expanses of wheat fields.
It soon got sandy and about 10 - 15km in we struck a fairly big hill which stopped me short a little from the top; so I reversed down, let another 5 psi out of the tyres and gunned it to the summit.
But on the way up things didn't feel and sound right and as soon as I got to the top I could smell burning - my clutch was frying !
I had to rev the engine really hard to budge the Foz off the top of the dune, then basically rolled to the bottom, around a bend and finally coasted to a halt on a flat, hard part of the track.
After waiting half an hour another attempt at moving proved we were in big trouble.

Being late afternoon we camped the night where we stopped. I had an uneasy sleep and the only consolation was getting a mallee root alight to bring us some warmth and cheer to the dire situation.
I was hoping for a miracle with the clutch but the next day it was still rooted with absolutely no grab at all.
To cut a long story short we eventually found a farmer in his wheat field and he gave us a tow out through the paddocks via an open gate which we fortunately found in the fence line.
We were towed through the back blocks to the town of Underbool on the Mallee Hwy and then, after making contact with the RACV, we were trailered to a garage in Ouyen.
Not being able to get the repairs done straight away it was a slow bus trip home, and after a week, another slow bus trip back for me last week to pick up the Foz.

Here is a video of the hill that killed my Foz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11yYWuqZXqEM7dvHuKTop_n9EjYUqrXQ5/view?usp=sharing

A picture from the bottom;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KbKZJ7WSmfWfH18x2iX177_Q1M5drYfs/view?usp=sharing

That was an unfortunate breakdown! Thanks for sharing the report.

Aww mate that sucks balls :(

Firebreak track is one of the best tracks for sand driving in that area IMO. Shame about your clutch. But it's better than a radiator popping like Pedro did in his XT a few years back at the big dune. Venom towed him out then to Murrayville.

Well now at least you know what to expect out there. Hopefully it comes together for you next time.

Cheers

Bennie

Shame about the clutch. Sounds like a good time to swap in a SF low range, it's 1.447 instead of the 1.19 SG low range. Makes a huge difference offroad esp in soft sand.

I love Wyperfield, been way too long since I've been there. Unfortunately couldn't make it to the last one

Sounds like a good time to swap in a SF low range, it's 1.447 instead of the 1.19 SG low range. Makes a huge difference offroad esp in soft sand.

It has crossed my mind to investigate lower range options.

I see that All Drive Subaroo in Sydney offer various gearbox options including 1.447 or 1.61 low ranges but I have no idea of the cost.

Do you know of anybody who has one of these ADS boxes installed or how they compare to a standard/original SF Subaru unit ?

well manuals problems. and specially subaru manuals. they just love to burn that clutch :) . thats why many upgrade clutch before they go anywhere.
nice sand hills there.
no better thing that crossing sand hills on auto. just eas. and specially on older models with fixed gears 1,2,3

Cammo, yes there are several people with the ADS offroad gearbox. It's expensive, but very good with hardened gears and a 1.447 LR. Ask them if they'll do the 1.447 LR with 4.44 diffs, that's the best combination. They can also do a 12kg & 20kg centre diff & clutch or helical front LSD for the ultimate offroad setup!!

They have been working on a 1.6 LR for ages, but I'm not sure if that's available yet

I'll certainly second the 1.447 low range with 4.44 diffs. The 4.44 diffs give you exceptional high range performance as well.
If you can source the parts yourself you can save a lot.

I have one of the original SubaXtreme 1.59 LR conversions with standard diffs. A very good combination for sand hills especially low 2nd.

No probs in 300000 kms. including one Cape York and 2 Simpsons.
Clutches, well that`s another story. A new one every 180000 kms.

well manuals problems. and specially subaru manuals. they just love to burn that clutch :) . thats why many upgrade clutch before they go anywhere.
nice sand hills there.

Does your outback have low range Scalman? If not, the low range with a decent ratio makes for a pretty good offroad gearbox for a Subaru. I've only had to do the clutch slip trick on a few occasions - doing something I probably shouldn't have been doing in the first place!

Clutches, well that`s another story. A new one every 180000 kms.

I think that's pretty good milage from a clutch, especially if you're not doing a great deal of highway kms.

Hmmm... Need to look into when another desert trip can be done...

Cheers

Bennie

Does your outback have low range Scalman? If not, the low range with a decent ratio makes for a pretty good offroad gearbox for a Subaru. I've only had to do the clutch slip trick on a few occasions - doing something I probably shouldn't have been doing in the first place!

Cheers

Bennie

Nah im 4eat. But heard just problems that ppl have with those manuals when offroading.

Back