• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Offset Rims / Wider Tires?

Grunger27

Forum Member
Just wondering if anyone has tires that stick out the fenders on any Foresters, I have a 98 Forster and was wondering if this is do-able. I don't mind fender trimming, Any help would be great thanks!!

If you do please attach pictures! Thanks again!

Just wondering if anyone has tires that stick out the fenders on any Foresters, I have a 98 Forster and was wondering if this is do-able. I don't mind fender trimming, Any help would be great thanks!!

If you do please attach pictures! Thanks again!

It has been done but most haven't because here in Aus its illegal to do that.

Do you have the 15" steel rims or the 16" alloys on your Forester?

If you go and look at your Foz too at the rear struts(just ablove the rear tyre in the wheel arch) you will notice the perch which the spring sits on it quite low which will only allow you to go a certain size tyre. You then have 2 options to extent it, make some strut bottom lift plates rather than strut top lift blocks (both will lift the car) and this would move it up 2.5" thus also lifting your car 2.5". Or B; replace your rear struts with SG5 Forester struts (2002-2005).
You will then be able to fit upto 29" tyres on.

Taza

I believe I have the 16" alloys, I have the 'S' model not sure if that makes a difference, and could I do the same for the front? Thanks for your help

I believe I have the 16" alloys, I have the 'S' model not sure if that makes a difference, and could I do the same for the front? Thanks for your help

Ok well with the 16" rims you can fit 215/70R16 in an all terrain or mud terrain. BFG's or Geolander AT-S tyres are very good for all terrains, great in some light-medium mud too.

They are 29" in size but you will need lift first to be able to fit them. Yes if you do that to the rear strut's with the bottom lift you can do it to the front aswell.

It's really easy to make them.

Have a read of this. If you do with without redrilling any holes the it will give you 2.5" of lift rather than 2".
There isn't the need to weld it either in my opinion.

Just remember the speedo is a mile out and the extra strain trying to roll a 29" tyre, 225/70/16 would be a better choice provided they fit.

Here is a tyre chart so you can see what difference different size tyres make.
Tire size calculator

Last edited:
Gidday Thunder

could always go runs spacers and move the wheel away from the strut then fender chopping will be needed but would look awesome

There are good reasons why spacers are banned in Oz ...
Completely wrecks the wheel bearing loadings, for starters.
Puts greater strain on the hub, steering and suspension components; perhaps beyond their design tolerances?
I just don't know, other than it will have an effect on these bits.

Gidday Thunder

There are good reasons why spacers are banned in Oz ...
Completely wrecks the wheel bearing loadings, for starters.
Puts greater strain on the hub, steering and suspension components; perhaps beyond their design tolerances?
I just don't know, other than it will have an effect on these bits.

if you were building a dedicated 4wd that didnt get used much it would be ok with after market fenders to make them wider

if you were building a dedicated 4wd that didnt get used much it would be ok with after market fenders to make them wider

If I were building a dedicated off-road 4WD, I would be making it stronger, not weaker ... ;).

Truth^

I am working on having my struts extended (best way to be able to use taller tires) and using strut inserts:) also going to beefing up the struts in the process!

I have 20mm wheel spacers and run 235 60 16 wheels no problem. The wide look is kinda cool if you are lifted just an inch or 2. Looks mean.

But I'm gonna fit 30 9.5 15's when the struts are done... Who knows how long it will be, but it will get done.

-garrett

30" Might be ok in the back but don't forget they have to turn at the front, I can't see them fitting without major choppage to the guards.

Instead of a spacer why not get rims with a 1" different offset.

Or better still...............Get a Jeep

esp when Taza gets his locker going lol :poke:

Add a 12kg centre and LSD front, with L-series low range...Thats a jeep killer! :lildevil:
SiskoAnimated.gif

Back