BG11XV

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
impreza xv
Transmission
auto,sports shift
hey everyone

long time since ive posted in here but im hoping one of the gurus on here will know or have done this before

so i have a 1996 outback with the (as far as i know) phase 1 ej25d. auto

and was looking last week at options for engines that will drop straight in without changing ecu or any other electronics

then i stumbled across some wiki info that suggests the phase 2 is the same engine but an extra 10hp

WIKI INFO

EJ25D[edit]
There were two variations of the EJ25D sold in the US market. The engine was introduced in 1996 in the Legacy 2.5GT, LSi, and Legacy Outback. That version of the engine used HLA heads, was recommended to be run on 91 octane fuel, had lower power and torque ratings than the later '97-99 EJ25D, and was only offered with an automatic transmission. In 1997 a revised engine was introduced that used heads with shimmed bucket lifters (versus the HLAs), was designed to run on 87 octane fuel, and was available with either a manual or automatic transmission. Because of the DOHC valve architecture, the spark plugs are more difficult to service in comparison to SOHC variations. The DOHC engines are therefore installed with platinum spark plugs and an extended spark plug service life of 80,000 miles (128,747.5 km). The EJ25D uses smaller 48mm rod journals, compared to the 2.2L of the same year, and the 1999+ 2.5L engines which use a 52mm rod journal. As well, the EJ25D from the 1999 Outback is a one year only factory hybrid, which uses the phase 2 case halves with an 8 bolt bell housing (as opposed to the 4 bolt bell housing used until 1998), uses a phase 2 crankshaft and rods with 52mm rod journals, but retains the same pistons as the 1997-1998 variant to maintain the same compression ratio. The 1996 EJ25D uses different pistons than what was used for 1997-1999, which will increase the compression ratio significantly if combined with 1997-1999 EJ25D heads.

DOHC (1996) - SAE - 155 hp (116 kW) @ 5600 rpm
140 ft·lbf (190 N·m) at 2800 rpm
DOHC (1997–1999) - SAE - 165 hp (123 kW) @ 5600 rpm
162 ft·lbf (220 N·m) at 4000 rpm

Usage

Impreza 2.5RS 98
Legacy/Outback 96~99
Forester 98

ive highlighted the info that im asking about
if anyone knows if i can continue to look for an engine from a 98 impreza 99 outback or 98 forester and it CAN be simply rebuilt and dropped in and turn the key

that would be amazing

cheers in advance

G'day Brian,

I'm not sure if you've found your answer yet, given that your post is almost two months old.

The simple thing with Subarus is: If you can bolt the intake manifold onto the heads of an engine of the same displacement the ECU can run it easy. After the intake is bolted on, swap the crank and cam wheels with your old engine to ensure the same timing sequencing marks that your ECU needs is actually being used.

You may find the cam timing marks for the ECU's reference exactly the same, but it's also a very good time to do the cam and crank seals, water pump and timing belt kit. I'd highly recommend doing the rear main seal too, and if you've got a plastic oil separator plate, it's a good time to replace it with a pressed metal unit.

All the best!

Bennie

I thought that Phase I and Phase II had different bell housings. Phase I 6 bolt and Phase II 8 bolt?

I thought that Phase I and Phase II had different bell housings. Phase I 6 bolt and Phase II 8 bolt?

Phase I is four bolt. Phase II is 8 bolt.

Same pattern, different number of bolts. It still works.

My L series runs a phase I engine mated to a phase II gearbox with phase I solid flywheel and cable clutch setup.

The main issue is what I've previously mentioned with the engine management stuff.

Cheers

Bennie

Phase I is four bolt. Phase II is 8 bolt.

Same pattern, different number of bolts. It still works.

My L series runs a phase I engine mated to a phase II gearbox with phase I solid flywheel and cable clutch setup.

The main issue is what I've previously mentioned with the engine management stuff.

Cheers

Bennie

Thank you for the clarification.

Back