• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

ECU Fault Codes for 99 EJ20 Forester - Help!

Dedman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5MT
Hi all

I have an issues that I get a check engine light whenever I do a river crossing which I would like to stop. My problem is that nowhere on the net seems to have a correct CEL code list for the Australian ej20 sf forester so I have no idea where the water is getting in.

Connecting the wires under the dash I get the following codes from the check engine light:

I have not found a list that contains the 53 or 54 codes except for a carby engine which gives me no faith in its accuracy...

If anyone has a complete list that would be much appreciated or at least what these codes indicate.

Thanks

Posted on ozfoz now so hopefully I will get a reply there. Thanks

As far as I know the 00 outback is OBD2 where as the sf forester is OBD1 or something that is not OBD2. I have not found a scanner that will work with the forester...

Can't give you an idea of the codes, but I can say that petrol engines don't like water crossings..... At a bare minimum give all connections a blast of WD40 before every trip with watercrossings, or put dielectric grease in all connections.

Posted on ozfoz now so hopefully I will get a reply there. Thanks

As far as I know the 00 outback is OBD2 where as the sf forester is OBD1 or something that is not OBD2. I have not found a scanner that will work with the forester...

https://offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=79780&postcount=7

My outback is obd dedman. If it works for you, its only cost few bucks for the cable compare to connecting the plug and count the code everytime.

Cheers.

There's a good thread on Subaru codes somewhere but I cant find it. I think its AUSubaru, I've searched but no luck

I was under the impression that you could not hook a laptop up to my car but I will see in a few weeks when the VAGCOM cable arrives...

In terms of the engine not liking water crossings, it works fine except for the CEL no loss of power no issues that I am aware of. The CEL always comes on with moderate water though and at no other times.

The crossing that was the culprit this time

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5z3UM_h_c"]Deep crossing of Wonnangatta River on Scrubby Creek Track - YouTube[/ame]

Cable and freeSSM should work - as long as you get the VAG-com cable with the 'right' chipset.

This is the combo that works for me on my JDM non-OBD EJ208

For the codes, I have a gen3 Liberty FSM list of codes for a "EJ20SO w/o OBD", which are consistent with the '1988 and later models with Multi-Point Fuel Injection (including Legacy)' codes here: https://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

53 = Immobiliser faulty
54 - not listed
22 = Knock Sensor
26 = Intake temp sensor

I think intake air temp is up near the filter box, while the knock sensor is bolted to the block under the throttle body... maybe you're getting water up there or a local ground is dodgy and getting soaked. The knock sensor looks like it sits it a location that could pool water, for example.

53 is what i got when i nicked the wiring for the fuel pump.

Well I tried 3 different vag com cables and none of them could communicate with the ecu using freessm. Not sure if I still have not found the correct cable or if its just not possible with the sf forester...

I guess ill just have to try clear the fault using the plugs below the dash and drive through some water and check them again...

Cable and freeSSM should work - as long as you get the VAG-com cable with the 'right' chipset.

This is the combo that works for me on my JDM non-OBD EJ208

For the codes, I have a gen3 Liberty FSM list of codes for a "EJ20SO w/o OBD", which are consistent with the '1988 and later models with Multi-Point Fuel Injection (including Legacy)' codes here: https://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

53 = Immobiliser faulty
54 - not listed
22 = Knock Sensor
26 = Intake temp sensor

I think intake air temp is up near the filter box, while the knock sensor is bolted to the block under the throttle body... maybe you're getting water up there or a local ground is dodgy and getting soaked. The knock sensor looks like it sits it a location that could pool water, for example.

You bloody ripper your a legend mate.

Back