teki1975

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Auto
Hi Everyone,

I need some help regarding parts that can be used between a 1998 Gen1 Outback and a 1998 Gen1 Liberty? They look almost identical except larger tyres and ground clearance. The engine on the liberty is also smaller only a 2.2ltr and the outback 2.5ltr.

The main Items I am looking to replace are the front CV joints from the liberty to replace the ones in the outback. Just thought I would ask before I go and pull both off and see if they are the same.

Any info would be much appreciated

Drivetrain parts will swap over.

Struts are longer on the outback.

The outback has body blocks to also help with the lift to raise them higher.

Someone else will know exactly, but by my understanding I believe they're the same length and size.

Also, a 1998 is a Gen2. Typically in Australia we know the Outback as a Gen2 model even though this is the first "Outback generation". In the states they confuse things by calling the outback a Gen1 etc as a generation behind the liberty.

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks, Bennie,

I will give it try and will see how I go. Yeah, the whole gen1 gen 2 thing gets confusing. I was hoping to swap the manual 4wd gearbox from the liberty in to the Outback but from what i have been told it requires swapping the computer and wiring so to go to that length I would buy a L series and put the liberty engine in that. Like yours, you have a wicked L series mate have been following your thread for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comment on my infamous L series. It's pretty awesome but doesn't see enough 4wd'n for my liking...

If you want a manual with an auto vehicle you need to trick the TCU into thinking the auto box is still there. I know there's a trick for this but don't know the exact details of what's involved.

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks for the heads up Benny will have to look in to how to do that trick thing.

Ok have come across a few issues with regards to swapping parts between the 98 liberty and the 98 outback BG series.

CV Joints can be changed between both vehicles as long as both have ABS or Non ABS.

Exhaust systems are completely different so non interchange able.

Tyres Libertys are way smaller

Radiator, starter motor, alternator all look the same.

Back