User Tag List

Old 10th January 2018, 08:11 AM

Year: 2006
Model: Outback
Transmission: Auto
Dock is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Brunswick Victoria

Hey People

We have a 2014 fancy Forester (wife's) and a 2006 H6 OB Premium R. Had many Subi's over the years but mainly fast Libertys. Took a standard 2015 Foz out to the Blue Rag and down the King Spur track last summer with two FJ Toyotas (for security) and left them in my dust.

The OB is a new purchase and it's going to be my adventure car - dirt and some off-roading. Bash plate, Kido tune (done), 1" King springs and new struts (still thinking on the best way to lift it a little while keeping it nice on the road and conservative looking - any advice ?), lights, racks (done) full rubber mat set (done) and longer term black rally wheels and AT,s. With the tune these things go pretty well and the paddle shift is really responsive.

This is a really interesting forum you have - I look forward to learning and contributing.
Old 10th January 2018, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

G'day & Welcome Dock.

If you get a strut block lift from @NachaLuva you can maintain the ride with standard springs.
Old 10th January 2018, 06:34 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Hey Dock,

Blue Rag Range Track is a good one, couple of steep sections & awesome views! Your H6 would have loved it!!

Here's when we did it in May, freezing cold, all the vegetation had a thick layer of ice lol

Did your mate recently post about this on the Subarus Offroad Australia Facebook page?

Quote:
1" King springs and new struts (still thinking on the best way to lift it a little while keeping it nice on the road and conservative looking - any advice ?)
I donn't recommend raised springs on this model as it causes problems with the handling, is harsh & dramatically reduces articulation (already limited with the multilink rear suspension).

A 2" lift kit with camber & caster offsets & rear subframe spacer kit will keep your good Subaru handling & nice factory ride. Most people don't notice any change in handling after the lift. Feel free to PM me for details.

Here's a couple of customer's cars:

Old 11th January 2018, 07:41 AM

Great pics. Thanks for the info. I’ll be in touch
Cheers
Old 12th January 2018, 09:10 PM

Venom is on a distinguished road

I have the same car, which for me was the best offroad Suby with the least amount of mods. My recommendation for improving capability and keeping it all simple and reliable:

Nacha's 2" lift
Subaxtreme sheet (not cast) bashplate.
15" rims preferably, with a 215/75R15. You can read about the 15" audi pepperpots on here that are super light and strong.
Trans cooler kit that comes with the factory tow package if you don't already have it.
Cargo barrier.

And you're done

Airing down the tyres makes such a big difference to the cars ability off road, it cannot be overstated. You'll get the most out of airing down with the bigger sidewall if you drop to a 15" tyre.
Old 12th January 2018, 09:32 PM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X MY05
Transmission: 5MT D/R
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
15" rims preferably, with a 215/75R15. You can read about the 15" audi pepperpots on here that are super light and strong.
Some on gumtree at the moment ( http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread...newpost&t=7048 )
Old 12th January 2018, 09:33 PM

Venom is on a distinguished road

No HD springs, they already have very limited travel. On a related side note: I think it's common for people take too much stuff and/or not place enough importance on the weight of their gear.

I'm gradually moving to pretty much all hiking equipment and a minimalist approach. Even with a 40ltr fridge (Maybe not minimalist, but so good), dual batteries and 20 litres of fuel and water my car is sagging only slightly. I can fit everything for a week out bush in my cargo area if I really want to. But.... I've fitted tie down points in all the footwells apart from the drivers for fuel, water etc for better weight distribution. It handles awesome fully loaded.
Old 13th January 2018, 03:04 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

Welcome. That h6 3.0R model has some power there. Dont lift it more then 2" and you will be golden.
Old 13th January 2018, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Dock.
Old 13th January 2018, 06:27 AM

Thanks guys - appreciate the responses. I'm onto a subaextreme sump guard and am going to go for the 1" lift at this point. Cargo barrier is a good idea - just limits my ability to carry my mtb bike. You put it on the roof and the mpg goes through the roof.

I took it out in some sand and mud today,surprised at the ease it got through stuff. Had the compressor wth me but didn't need to air the tyres down.