heater core bypass

BG11XV

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
impreza xv
Transmission
auto,sports shift
Hey everyone . I know this might be covered already but i can't find the info i need everything is about head gaskets blowing......

What i would like to know is.....

I have a leaking heater core that i don't use even in winter .
I want to bypass it using a two inch piece of steel piping and clamps.
I need to know .
WHAT DIAMETER IS THE INSIDE OF THE HEATER HOSES?(INLET & OUTLET)?
IF I BYPASS THE HEATER CORE WILL IT EFFECT ME USING THE AIRCON ?
WILL IT EFFECT THE ENGINE COOLING IN ANY WAY ATM I HAVE A BRAND NEW EJ25 INSTALLED AND IT'S WORKING GREAT?
CAN I USE THE BYPASS AS A PERMANENT FIX ?

hope someone can help

Cheers guys

I'm pretty sure the longer of the 2 hoses will reach across to act as a bypass but to answer your question no it will not have any affect on your new engine or the car's cooling provided the hose isn't kinked.

WHAT DIAMETER IS THE INSIDE OF THE HEATER HOSES?(INLET & OUTLET)?, Pretty much all the same, just go to SuperCrap and ask for 500mm of heater hose.

IF I BYPASS THE HEATER CORE WILL IT EFFECT ME USING THE AIRCON ? Not at all.

WILL IT EFFECT THE ENGINE COOLING IN ANY WAY ATM I HAVE A BRAND NEW EJ25 INSTALLED AND IT'S WORKING GREAT? Not at all.

CAN I USE THE BYPASS AS A PERMANENT FIX ? Yaeh it can stay forever and will reduce the risk of air locks.

As I've posted elsewhere in answer to the same question - From a limited read of the workshop manual it would appear to be OK to bypass the heater core. Probably easier in the engine bay to join up the heater inlet and outlet - they appear to be close together. Are you sure it's the heater core that's leaking and not the air conditioning drain hose?
Bypassing the core will not affect your a/c.

I have a water leak from the heater core. Am i correct in thinking these two hoses are the ones that need to be looped over to bypass heater core? c
o68z8s7nhrox.jpg

Yes - the two that go through the firewall.

Back