• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

"Subarufalia" car-camping thread

^ Very nice photo, NL.

Glad that you got to indulge in scorpion spotting ... :biggrin:.

I am fascinated by their behaviour, as you know. However, folks, don't ever let anyone tell you that Australian scorpions are not poisonous - as the Victorian Poisons Centre told me many years ago! More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpion#Sting_and_venom

And here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buthidae

Scorpions are a very ancient group of arthropods, dating back about 430 million years. During this time, all the continents on the planet have coalesced and broken up again a number of times, spreading scorpions to all modern continents (except Antarctica). They are all related, and all poisonous - not necessarily to humans, but this should not be taken as a given. It is my understanding that all scorpions have venom that includes neurotoxins, and I have been the recipient of a sting from one down near Apollo Bay that put me in hospital for several days.

More info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpion

It's one reason why I always wear foot wear, even in the house ...

Your assortment of snakes, spiders, scorpions, 'drop bears', yowies and various other things that want to kill you make me glad I live in NZ! About the only dangerous thing we have here are the rivers (and some redbacks arouns Wanaka).:discomonkey:

You have a relative of the redback & black widow spider, can't remember what its called. No need to be worried about Aussie scorpions, they're not dangerous unlike the Central American, Asian & African ones

And yowies aren't real. Dropbears & bunyips on the other hand will tear you to pieces! :raspberry:

Haha I know about the tales you Aussies love to tell. I'm yet to see a paper on drop bear attack on PubMed. :p

Gidday KF

Your assortment of snakes, spiders, scorpions, 'drop bears', yowies and various other things that want to kill you make me glad I live in NZ! About the only dangerous thing we have here are the rivers (and some redbacks arouns Wanaka).:discomonkey:

There is that ... :iconwink: :lol:.

However, we also don't live on a pair of temporary volcanic islands, that is jerkily sliding under another crustal plate causing much of some major cities to disappear either ... :(.

Just kidding. NZ is a lovely place. It's over 40 years since I was last there.

I bought a rooftent! A secondhand one from echo4x4. We have serious plans to go to Marocco in 2015 for 3 weeks, i want to drive in the big sandbox called the sahara dessert.
The first stap is made!

Now an other gearbox, engine and tyres....
Quite expensive such a vacation :ebiggrin:

Looks great, the marine carpet drawers are a must have for any camper.
We just spent a week in Szklarska Poreba and it is a great town, great atmosphere and the polish cuisine was great! Black sausage and soups(we tried "white soup" and beetroot soup) were the best!

Gidday Casper

I bought a rooftent! A secondhand one from echo4x4. We have serious plans to go to Marocco in 2015 for 3 weeks, i want to drive in the big sandbox called the sahara dessert.
The first stap is made!

Now an other gearbox, engine and tyres....
Quite expensive such a vacation :ebiggrin:

The RTT sounds terrific Casper ... :biggrin:. Photos?

Your trip to the second biggest desert in the world sounds fantastic, mate. I would love to see the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara.

I am glad you liked :) You must try many other Polish dishes! If you like black sausage try “flaki”, it is soup made from stomach, I love it, (it taste much better than it sounds, trust me). And off course try Polish beer!!!!

yes had a few polish beers and they were very full and rich, very nice compared to some aussie beers.......Aswell as the obligatory polish vodka!
I will have to try some of that soup next time I go! Maybe I will try and make some! I do love my cooked liver.

Just completed a 4000k round trip in 3 weeks

Here's home, the Foz pulls it no worries.

foz2_zpsvuazbbew.jpg

foz_zpsti2knqhv.jpg

Attachments

• foz2.jpg
    foz2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2
  • foz.jpg
    foz.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 4
Yep, I spent a lot of years cramming gear into the car and roof-pod, then moving it all out to sleep at night,

now I just tow this wherever I go

2015-02-07%2008.36.19.jpg

MY04tone, thats a great setup, lookin good! :monkeydance:

Robbks, I like to pack light :lol: But a small trailer would be the go if I need to carry more

latest kitchen - which got a try-out a month or so back. I knocked it up from some leftover ply, runs the full length of the boot floor - with the inner end angled to match the back of the seat. Couple of plastic tubs for drawers (cutlery, plates etc), a two-piece fold-over top for bench space (the piece with the coffee mug and the other longer one with the pink plastic bowl on it both fold on top of the unit), a shelf for the $10 gas cooker and vertical dividers to keep the food a bit organised.

Slide it out, then pop on the extendable leg -- the leg could do with some improvement, but its amazing how much easier it is to cook for 4 compared with the random tubs of food and fold-out table I've been using for years.

DSC_0771.jpg

Not a spectacular campsite -- but not bad, off the road next to Blowering Dam on the way back from a trip. The tarp works ok for me and the three kids in most cases.

P1040441.jpg

That's a clever idea duncanm, I love how accessible it all is. Only thing would be the weight. What did you use for the slide?

Here's a couple of camping pics from our Subaru Extreme 8 Deserts Challenge

No slides at this point -- just a slippery base. Doesn't weigh much -- about 10kg empty and maybe 20 with food and stuff in it.

I did originally intend to put slides in, but then they'd need something to anchor to -- I'll probably do this if I put something more substantial like drawers in the back.

Very envious of your trip -- I did a Simpson crossing some years back with the eldest son on a 'tour' type arrangement with 3 x Nissan Patrols. One of the best experiences I've had in Oz.

Back