Cheapish compressor from Repco

zippo

Before last year's trip I decided to grab a new compressor, as my old one (80's vintage) was sort of past it. Repco had on sale a Gearup GUDAC30 with digital display and auto shutoff for about $60 IIRC. Compressors are like a lot of other gear (and parachutes) - it's nice to know you have one but you still prefer to not have a situation where you need it - but it pays to make sure that it works and you know how to use it. So it was tested at home on a couple of tyres, auto shutoff at selected pressure worked a treat, all good.

Two trips around Oz later (15,000 and 17,000km) I can say that I have not needed it. But at the NT/SA border rest area I found a bloke with a Toyota LC, a failed tyre and a totally flat spare. So we used my little unit to put 40 psi in the spare so he could get mobile again. The compressor never missed a beat, but it took quite a while to get there. It claims 30 litres/min (input of course) and 100psi max delivery. Getting to that pressure would likely take as long as a recent Aussie cricket innings.

So far so good. It's not the sort of unit I'd recommend for those inclined to "air-down" at the sight of a corrugated gravel road, but for general duty I reckon it was good value.

I had seen that review/comparison previously, but for my type of use (NOT inflating Zodiacs, or multiple LC's in a row) they all seemed overkill AND too large physically for my space-challenged touring requirement. As their last sentence says: "Follow those two tips and just about any compressor you buy will give you years of faithful service".

The MCC 150L appears to be identical to the one Princess Trading sold me for about $80 ...

I have seen them advertised for >$300!!

Back