Oricom micro UHF radio

A little hacking and filing it turned out like this:

Then used the front cover from the ash tray to fill in the blank space below it.

Cables just run in the back with standard looms.

Gidday HC

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think I will go with the Oricom UHF 300 which is the ultra compact radio.

In terms of antenna this looks the go from Gadget City the Uniden AT870 with both a stubby and long whip for $59 delivered.

https://www.gadgetcity.com.au/unide...glass-antenna-kit-p-2826.html?cPath=92_23_118

Acting on your advice, I have also ordered this kit, plus a Z bracket to mount on my LHS mudguard under the bonnet. Total of $73.99 with free shipping. Seems reasonable.

Hope that it works reasonably well ... :poke: :lol:.

Gidday HC

I think that I have just discovered the perfect mounting place for this tiny little thing.

Under the row of switch blanks to the right of the steering column (in the SG series II, at least) where the fog light switch is, there is a plate that is removable. With the tiniest bit of surgery with a Dremel tool, the UHF300 Micro should just slip into this lower hole.

I don't know what the batch of wires (about 7) immediately to the left of the fog light switch is for, and have run out of light. They are just "plugged" into the back of one of the switch blanks.
Anybody know??

Will run my multi-meter over them in the morning. Hopefully, one pair of them will have power and earth ... :iconwink:.

^ Forgot to thank you for the URL for the manual.

I had already found it. Now to print the PDF out at four to an A4 page, guillotine it and bind it for in-car reference. Who needs a 30 page A4 book cluttering up a car that's already overloaded with crap!

I think that I have just discovered the perfect mounting place for this tiny little thing.

Under the row of switch blanks to the right of the steering column (in the SG series II, at least) where the fog light switch is, there is a plate that is removable. With the tiniest bit of surgery with a Dremel tool, the UHF300 Micro should just slip into this lower hole.
RB,
I will have to check that out never even considered it as a mounting location.
Cheers

Gidday HC

I had an emergency call out this AM.
Went to Repco on the way to pick up another pair of plastic wheel chocks - 2 wheels; I bought 2 chocks - DOH!

Thought I would look into the Oricom Tradie's hand held kit they had on special. 2x 5W hand-helds plus in-car and desktop charger for $129. They didn't have any left, and the sale ended yesterday ... The DID have a pair of PMR1280 hand-helds for $69!! They don't now ... :iconwink: :poke: :lol:.

Just too good to pass that up!

I will try to figure out how to fit the UHF300 into that spot, possibly tomorrow.

The antenna kit is on its way. Hope to fit it before the trip to Mildura and points West and South ... :biggrin:.

RB,
will be interested to see it fitted in the location you have mentioned and whether you have issues doing this.
A hand held is a good back up to have, do you know the power output ? I have a Uniden 2w which is surprisingly good.
Cheers,

^ After prising out the blanking plate, it has a whole lot of support stuff that's irrelevant AFAICS, BUT the clips on the blanking plate clip into the sides of the hole, and these will have to be cut out and removed in order for the CB to fit.

That is, it is irreversible. However, I guess I can always resort to silicone to glue it back in if the CB won't fit!

Seems that there is plenty of room around the unit if I can get it to fit. If it does fit, it will be an interference fit - there is not enough room for the mounting bracket.

The hand-helds are 2W units. Their only shortcoming is that the charger only works off the 240V mains power (no car charger - available as an optional extra that probably costs much more than I paid for the hand-helds!). However, the battery box I bought has an inverter built in for 240V output, and I hardly think that running a wall-wart would over-stress it.

They are on charge ATM, so haven't had a chance (or another person ... ) to test them out yet.

It looks to me as if the units are designed to use 4x AAA batteries in an emergency, instead of the rechargeable NiMH battery packs that come with them. I will read the manual (at least these came with the user manual, and all parts ... ;) ).

Finally gave the Oricom UHF 300 radio and Uniden AT870 antenna with the 6.5 db whip a really good work out on a 5 day trip to the Little Desert, Big Desert and Murray Sunset National Park with the Subaru 4wd Club of Victoria over the long weekend.

The radio performed exceptionally well and I was able to communicate easily with others on the trip when 10 km from our first nights camp. In the desert I had no problems with communication and are very pleased with the setup.
Can now highly recommend the set up.

^^ Good to hear that it worked so well, HC.

I still haven't completed fitting mine ... :(.

Thats great. I wonder how well a 6.5dB antenna will go in hilly areas?

Would love to see some pics if you want to do a quick trip report. Did you go up Thompsons Peak Lookout?

Thanks Nachaluva,
The 6.5 goes okay but I have a 2.1 db whip for the hills which will go back on after I have been to the Rolling Stones outdoor concert at Hanging Rock on Saturday !!
I will post a trip report in the next couple of days with photos.

Back