mercthunder

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
CVT
Hi all,

I purchased a 2015 Subaru Outback V6 3.6R Premium last year and i would like to go on a light offroad adventure to test X-Mode and see how it handles the tracks. I have been looking at going to Wiseman's Ferry as it is not too far from my house after reading this: https://www.mynrma.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/nsw/get-out-of-sydney-in-4wd.htm

I was wondering if anyone has this route mapped out as i am struggling to locate the directions they have given on google maps so i know where i am going on the day?

Also for those with 4WD experience, will the Outback be able to handle this type off trip?

Thanks.

G'day & Welcome MT

Yes the OB will be fine. I've done it at least three times up to Bucketty but don't actually have it mapped out (I wasn't the trip leader). Not so sure about the alternative Boree and Yengo tracks ATM.

Mogo creek Northwards is fine - just a standard dirt road any 2wd could tackle.

I think that NRMA advice is out of date. If you look at the 'left turn before Furnances' (see my link to the nsw topos below) - its a turn onto Perry Road. About 4km up the road there is a 'locked gate' marked, with another about 1km further on. These two gates were put in some years back, AFAIK, because the local landholders were sick of 4wd's tearing up the track. If you do a search on the 'Boree Track' on 4wd forums, you'll see plenty of people talking about the impassable gate.

As an alternative, keep heading North onto the Great North Rd at Bucketty. There's Simpson's Road marked as a turn-off - but again, you may have problems with locked gates.

One way I do know is open -- keep heading North on the GNR and turn left about 1km before Laguna at Yango Creek Rd. Follow it up to the Finchley Track. There's NPWS signs up to the Finchley Trig, lookout, Aboriginal Carvings and (bare) campsite. This road is all easy graded dirt.

About 10km West of this, you can turn South to Big Yango (if you have organised the NPWS key), or just keep heading W/NW on Howes Trail and drive through to Howes Valley on the Putty Rd.

I did the track through to Howes Valley a couple of years back in a bog-stock gen3 Outback. I think the 2015 has better ground clearance.

The roads are mostly easy. The trickiest part is right near the end at Howes Valley, with a rocky descent (just take it easy), then a steep-ish in-and-out creek crossing (probably wouldn't do it after heavy rain).

So -- if you're concerned, either start from the Howes Valley side, or allow enough time and fuel to be able to backtrack all the way to Laguna if you have trouble exiting at Howes Valley.

Give NPWS a ring and ask them about track conditions - they'll also be able to advise you on which roads are open and which are impassable due to gates.

For better maps - look at getting a topo, or have a squiz at maps.six.nsw.gov.au for online topos. A GPS with topos on it is a good thing, too.

NPWS has some info on their website (although I find their websites are a PITA and not particularly useful):
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/4WD-touring-routes/Howes-trail/map/
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.a...ground/Visitor-Info#Getting-there-and-parking

BTW - don't camp up at Finchley in Summer. The cicada's will send you insane.

Ask me how I know.

P1020288.JPG

Wow thanks so much for the quick advice guys. I am impressed with this forum already!

I will take a look at those roads, and look into a topo as well. I am a complete novice when it comes to going off road. This is the first time i've actually owned a vehicle capable of even minor dirt tracks.

Does anyone know where the best place is to have a picnic by the water on this track?

Ha -- once you're up there, water is something this track doesn't have much of. Its pretty much all along a dry ridge line.

St Albans for a pub lunch, Wiseman's or Putty at the Colo River (Upper colo reserve - upper Colo Rd is a nice dirt detour/shortcut) are all nice spots.

There's a few historic convict-built culverts along the GNR which are worth checking out - could stop at any of those for a snack.

Thanks all. I know there is a Jeep owners club who meet up regularly in Sydney and go on trips etc (safer in a group i guess).

Does such a thing exist for Subaru owners?

Also i am thinking of heading to the Colo River instead based on this article due to the amount of trails closed around the St Albans area according to the Hawkesbury Tourism centre:

https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/days-drive-sydney/

Does anyone have experience with this trail, and will an Outback handle it?

Thanks all. I know there is a Jeep owners club who meet up regularly in Sydney and go on trips etc (safer in a group i guess). Does such a thing exist for Subaru owners?

Sure, per my footer www.subaruclub.com.au is the NSW club. Prospective members / visitors are welcome to go on a couple of trips on a "get to know you" basis (except driver training and extended trips which are for members only). I also believe they will be present at the 4WD and Adventure Show in October: https://sydney.4wdshow.com.au/index.phtml

I've been a member since 1997.

I'd stop worrying about the car handling the conditions or track you choose -- it'll handle whatever you feel comfortable with.

Take it easy, stop and walk something if you are at all concerned. Consider that you may want to go back the way you came (ie: don't commit to something you can't undo).

Honestly -- it sounds like you might want to start off on some dirt roads and get a feel for these first. I'd suggest something easy and picturesque like a look through Colo/Upper Colo, then back along Comleroy Rd, a longer loop up to the mountains via Mountain Lagoon Trail, or the other way through Wheelbarrow Ridge Rd, which you could then combine with a run down to Wisemans or St Albans along the Macdonald River. These are all public roads, so well graded dirt.

Wheelbarrow ridge may be a good place to start - there's lots of fire-trails running off it, so you can explore those if feeling more adventurous.

Back