• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Big Red (Merged)

I happened to be travelling through western QLD a few days after the bash finished. There was a lot of beer cans and litter beside the roads and anywhere where people camp. The roads were chewed up due to rain and overpowered 4wds with muddies. Overloaded and over-raised 4wds with ARB everything were driving too fast on the outback roads. I learnt from that experience to try to avoid it in future.

Definitely not the sort of people I wish to be around. Disgraceful they left a mess.

Definitely not the sort of people I wish to be around. Disgraceful they left a mess.

I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush.

As is usual, its the very small proportion of d'heads in any group who ruin it for everyone else.

As Nachaluva said earlier the tracks are easy on the right and progressively harder on the left. When our group did Big Red in late July it was very bumpy on the approach so it was difficult to get too much speed up.

My SJ (CVT NA) went up most of the tracks at 14 PSI and I ended up going up the hardest track on the left with 10 PSI. It didn't really seem to struggle at all at that tyre pressure so I probably went down more than I needed to. It didn't make it at 14 PSI on the first attempt of the hardest track, maybe not the second attempt either. Dropping to 10 PSI it did it relatively easy 2 or 3 times.

Great effort Subaru Man!

As you go below about 20 psi, each 2psi drop has a bigger efect. So going from 14psi to 12 psi has a bigger difference than 16psi to 14psi.

10psi is pretty low, making the tyres really bag out a lot, giving you heaps of grip. Even though you found it "easy" at 10, 12 might have made the difference to not making it. Just have to be careful at 12psi or below not to get sand in the bead or pop the bead off the rim

Back