• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Fumoto oil drain valves

Eastie

Forum Member
Members who browse other suby sites might be aware of these but I only recently came across them fitted to some gear on a mine site. I placed an order with Jack yesterday and today 2 valves arrived, one for the forester the other for the paj. I just fitted the one for the forester, did an oil flush and I'm happy :iconwink:

Quick and easy oil changes coming up....

For Aus orders and info see: https://www.fumoto.com.au/

Wow, for $35 odd dollars, that's pretty handy. You would also save on not having to pay for a sump plug seal every service and also reduce the risk of damage to the sump plug thread by not having to undo the sump plug on every drain.

Nice one.

Being a mechanic I see these valves every now and then, in reality how hard is it to grap a spanner and undo the plug? In my opinion, a bit of a waste of money.

That can be said about a lot of modifications.
It's a simple ball valve, the advantage is there for me in making it cleaner and possibly quicker. Something else I do is change out a portion of oil in between services (based on oil analysis and a similar regime used in a lot of heavy machinery to keep some fresh oil in the system at more regular intervals). A simple ball valve makes this a much simpler proposition. Also helps you adjust oil when the 'technician' over fills your oil by 1.5" on the dipstick.

Last edited:
That can be said about a lot of modifications.
It's a simple ball valve, the advantage is there for me in making it cleaner and possibly quicker. Something else I do is change out a portion of oil in between services (based on oil analysis and a similar regime used in a lot of heavy machinery to keep some fresh oil in the system at more regular intervals). A simple ball valve makes this a much simpler proposition. Also helps you adjust oil when the 'technician' over fills your oil by 1.5" on the dipstick.

I admit they would be helpful in heavy machinery for oil analysis,but those machines run hundreds of litres of oil in their engines. In your average car taking 5L or so why wouldn't you just dump it all out and change the filter.

The valve enables you to safely get very hot oil out of the motor. The hotter it is the more easy it will flow. like mine a lot and have had one on every one of my scoobies since 97. Now the new 09 Forester's oil pan is a little differnt so I'm a little tenuous about using one w/o some sort of under body protection. In particular when you get the valve with the nipple. A friend got one and I took some pics so you can see what I mean,

Attachments

• SN850760_e.jpg
    SN850760_e.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 24
  • SN850756_e.jpg
    SN850756_e.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 20
  • SN850759_e.jpg
    SN850759_e.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
  • SN850758_e.jpg
    SN850758_e.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 30
Being a mechanic I see these valves every now and then, in reality how hard is it to grap a spanner and undo the plug? In my opinion, a bit of a waste of money.

Being a mechanic I'd venture a guess you have the car on a lift too where it's a lot simpler to get to the valve. :iconwink: Many of us do our own oil changes. I do mine w/o ramps on the ground. Also, no need to change the crush washer each time :o

Now the new 09 Forester's oil pan is a little differnt so I'm a little tenuous about using one w/o some sort of under body protection. In particular when you get the valve with the nipple. A friend got one and I took some pics so you can see what I mean,

I see what you mean. I don't think I would be fitting the nipple version, even with a proper sump guard.

If you are driving what the average person does in km's, (say 30K-40K) a year, I have to agree with Brendon.

But on the other hand, if you are doing lots & lots of km's a year (100K +) I can see where it would come in handy.

Regards
Mr Turbo

The valve enables you to safely get very hot oil out of the motor. The hotter it is the more easy it will flow. like mine a lot and have had one on every one of my scoobies since 97. Now the new 09 Forester's oil pan is a little differnt so I'm a little tenuous about using one w/o some sort of under body protection. In particular when you get the valve with the nipple. A friend got one and I took some pics so you can see what I mean,

Man - the sump on the 09 sure is exposed!
Regardless of the valve I'd definitely consider a bash plate.

There's a group buy over at ozfoz.com (Aus only)
F-105 (20mm-1.5) @ $29.00 per unit plus P&H
F-105N (20mm-1.5) @ $33.00 per unit plus P&H

The Aussie Fumoto distributor drives the XT Foz you see on the Fumoto website, you'll save a bit of $$ over the standard prices

group buy closes 15/2/09

https://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3132

What is the difference between the F-105 and the F-105N? Is "N" for naturally aspirated?

I've been quite reserved on these. I see the practicalities of them. Just like the magnetic oil drain valves. I think that they are a bit of a gimmick.

I'd rather save my coin and put the money towards a Staun Massojet Under Body Buddy :discomonkey:

i agree 100%. I cant see them as a time saver, as we arent talking hours here.

nipper

TV remote controls, Staun tyre deflators etc etc all fall into that category

if you don't like it , don't use it!

I have one & I think it's just great! If you can throw a car up on a hoist then fine, but for me I crawl under the car, flip the lever and it drains. No stuffing about with crush washers and sump plugs or worrying about if it's going to seal up after the change. (I have staun deflators as well!)

I had a Fumoto valve on my XT. What I liked about it was that it was easy to use, you kept pretty clean, and no crush washers. Main thing I didn't like was that it was slow to drain. In the end I went back to the standard plug, but I did put the valve on the wifes foz where it still is today, she racks up the miles so I'm changing the oil more often.

Hi Guys,
Haven't been around for a while, but I'm back! I'd love to change the oil myself but have been put off by past experiences of undoing the sump plug and getting covered in oil, or having the plug drop to the bottom of the continer that's rapidly filling with warm oil. It's kinda why I gave up doing my own. For a non-mechanic like me it sounds good. Anyone know what size my '01 Forester would take? See... I don't even know that much!:redface: I'm hoping some kind and patient mentors on this site will help me learn how to service my car as I really want to control the quality of parts Fozzie gets.

Back