Waffle boards. Can someone give real world review.

Vert

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester x
Transmission
Auto
Hello all,
Looking at getting some waffle boards as look like a more cost effective and usable item.
Can anyone who has used them give real world review of how well or poor they go in what conditions.
Eg saw a video showing not to great with big 4wd in sand.
Cheers for any info.

I haven't seen those ones before, but I would be questioning if they are strong enough to hold the weight of a vehicle when bridging a gap. I've tried doing this with maxtrax and they just bend around the wheel, giving you no advantage.

Also not sure how good they would be in sand. The holes make them look like they'd sink into the sand more, plus they don't look like they have as much traction on top for your tyre as other treds do.

Still better then nothing, but I'd want to see some videos of them working as you want them to before I'd spend money on them. Or even just a photo of a wheel on one half way across a gap

Also not sure how good they would be in sand.

Still better then nothing, but I'd want to see some videos of them working as you want them to before I'd spend money on them. Or even just a photo of a wheel on one half way across a gap

Yeah saw some video showing they not the greatest in sand but still get there as for bridging video here's a quick one I found.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D2eYy3AneZ3M&ved=0ahUKEwjLx-ro_cvNAhWMnZQKHQ2rCXQQtwIIJjAE&usg=AFQjCNG08AI3bBE-KXa2sZgPD68t_BwO-Q&sig2=Prn8rSlknFXIfhSv3INBpw

Those look way better for bridging then maxtrax. In the second video you can see the maxtrax buckling at 3:30. They looked a bit pre-buckled, but whether they bend like mine or buckle like in the video it's the same problem. Only issue with the waffle boards is they looked like they slipped out from under the wheels pretty easy, so not ideal for getting out of bogs or muddy hill climbs. But as a bridge they look perfect. Obviously just need to be careful that they don't slip out, but you'd be driving carefully over a bridge anyway.

Hi Vert. I had a set of 4 I bought in Perth for $80. They are tough. We use the same material in industrial plants and mine sites for platforms and walkways. For bridging, they are great. They'll take a cruiser on them easily. I only used them once in anger in sand and they kind of sunk into the sand as they aren't a solid plank, rather a waffle board, as the name suggests. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before hand, but after it happened, I kind of realised it made sense. So I modified them and glued (liquid nails) some thin ply pieces to it, covering about 50% of the open area. The theory was, it would prevent it sinking in, however I never got to try it as I sold for them for more than I paid for them and bought a pair of X-Bull 10T tracks, which are a copy of Treds and sell for $100 :p The disadvantage of the waffle boards is their weight and size. If you are lugging 4 around, its easily around 50 kg total and they sit high, i.e. don't nest like Treds or Maxxtrax.

Back