Drive it like you stole it?

Bumper

I've seen Mr Turbo and others write about resetting the ECU (I understand how to do that) and suggesting to "drive it like you stole it for a week". My question is, why do you need to do that?

Once the ECU is reset, my instinct would say to drive slow and gentle to let it get used to that, then it will cope if you flatten the accelerator. Have I got it all wrong? Is that why my fuel economy is not so good?

Great wisdoms appreciated

my instinct would say to drive slow and gentle to let it get used to that,

and that may be exactly what happens so when you do put your foot down it says "bugger off, I'm not used to this".

If you follow the instructions I put up on SF.ORG you should be good:
How To: Reset ECU (Engine Control Unit)
1. Disconnect battery - I disconnect both terminals; earth = first off / last on.
2. Disperse current; depress brake pedal / switch ignition on as if cranking - wait 15-30 mins or let it sit overnight.
3. Reconnect battery
4. Switch ignition on - wait 3 secs for the idle air control solenoid valve to initialize.
5. Start car - touch nothing other than the key! (optionally - get a coffee while you wait)
6. Idle to normal operating temperature (radiator fans will come on) then switch off.
7. Switch on again and you're good to go.

Hmm. Thanks Kevin - looks like I should do another reset, then have a fun week rallying down Victoria Rd in peak hour!

looks like I should do another reset, then have a fun week rallying down Victoria Rd in peak hour!
Just remember that it's double points for the next few days though. :iconwink:

I think I might have to do mine also. :lildevil:

Regards
Mr Turbo

I have done this (almost) a few times before and noticed an improvement.
I didn't used to flog it though so before i went to Sydney to pick up my new wheels i followed the above instructions. As i was leaving nice and early is was no problem keeping the revs up :).
The end result, after filling up in Sydney was that i got 590klms out of the tank before the light came on. I was within a k or 2 from the servo but did not fill it up to get a true reading but my car is so consistent at 11.4k/pl and the light comes on with 12ltrs left.
Allowing for a bit here and there...lets say 12k/pl.after the reset.
Worthwhile doing every so often.

So, how long does it take the ECU to 'learn'the new driving style? Once you go back to driving sedately doesn't it then 'learn' that and compensate? I thought it was constantly checking, learning and adjusting, so if I use premium unleaded then change to E10, it will recognise the difference in octane etc, and adjust. Doesn't it adjust for driving style too?

It must change regularly i guess otherwise the economy would stay the same. I only flogged it for 12ks or so until i got onto the highway and from then on drove as per normal.
Under the bonnet are 2 stickers which more or less say the car self tunes. Makes you wonder what you pay for with a service doesn't it. 76,000ks and 4years 3 months on and my car has never been on a machine. I just change the oil and filters and do the upper cylinder cleaner and injector cleaner myself. Thats it.

sounds like an excuse to respect the car and drive it like it wants to be driven!

Back