• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

ANZAC Day 2017

pezimm

Forum Member
I was going to post this on FB, but I guess I feel more comfortable on the forums...

I didn't go to the dawn service this year. No particular reason other than my wife and kid being interstate and I couldn't sleep last night. Mid morning I decided to go for a bike ride and stopped at the park where they had the service to pay my respects. This is where the story starts:

I came across this elderly fella, doing much the same as me: observing and marking our respects in silence. After a few moments he asked me if I lost any family member at war and I told him no. I returned the question and was amazed with what this gentleman shared.

He started to tell me the tale of his great-uncle, who had served in the western front and eventually lost his life there. He was moving from one location to another when their battalion was attacked. It turned out that a bomb went off near them and his great-uncle was injured and covered by the debris. He could not be rescued alive.

He proceeded to tell me his great-uncle was not married, had no children, and events in his life before war are unclear to him. This elderly fella knew he was most likely the last human being remembering his great-uncle's sacrifice. He told me that every year he stops and thinks about his uncle, and I'm sure he has a drink in his honour so today I'm doing the same!

As I said in previous opportunities, I wasn't born in this country. Today, people like this gentleman make me very proud to call myself Australian.

Lest we forget.

Pedro.

Hi pezimm,

As a Vietnam Vet I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post above.

This para

I wasn't born in this country. Today, people like this gentleman make me very proud to call myself Australian.

brought a tear to my eye and made me very proud, it is people like you that we want in our country.

Thank You!

Well said. I think almost every Australian welcomes immigrants in sustainable numbers who bring a bit of their culture with them while absorbing themselves into the Australian culture. Glad you did not bring a tennis racquet to the golf club. Pleased to have you amongst us.

Yes ...

I don't observe Anzac Day as such.
However, I always note the little memorials scattered all over our country and contemplate the incredible sacrifice made by both the dead and the survivors when I pass them ... and at many other times ...

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" ... John 15:13

And that from a devout atheist ;).

Yes ...

I don't observe Anzac Day as such.
However, I always note the little memorials scattered all over our country and contemplate the incredible sacrifice made by both the dead and the survivors when I pass them ... and at many other times ...

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" ... John 15:13

And that from a devout atheist ;).

ditto

onebob

I have twice visited the Western Front. On each of the tombstones, the families were allowed an inscription. Some are truly heartbreaking to read. Very few people leave these cemeteries and memorials without tears in their eyes, and a range of emotions from anger to sadness to pride. Is there any other country in the world that honours it's soldiers as much as we do? They certainly deserve it.

On a slightly different track if you get a chance attempt to see Fred Smith`s "Dust of Uruzgan" concert, and read his book of the same name.
Having traveled through Afghanistan in the 1970`s I find it quite moving. I suspect you possibly shall as well.

It was meant as a rhetorical question, but interesting what you say. I was not aware that they closed off streets for marches in every town and city as we do, but good on them for doing so. Do they also have memorials in every town and the suburbs that were around at the time as well? Where I used to live, there was a memorial near the shopping centre. Where I live now, in a new suburb, there isn't one obviously so the message is not as great in these areas.

In Milperra, a number of streets are named after towns where the Australians fought on the Western Front in The Great War, such as Pozieres, Bullecourt etc. Of course, there a number of ANZAC Avenues. i wonder though how many Sydney Siders know who General Holmes was, which General Holmes Drive was named after?

The tragedies and incredible victories of the Australians in the Great War are sadly not well enough appreciated. For example, 5 Australian divisions during the war defeated 39 German divisions. General Monash commanded US troops, and in fact Australian troops played a major part in training US troops on how to fight a modern war. See below the letter from US General to General Monash

In the next war, it was the Australians who were the first to defeat in a major battle the Germans, and the first to defeat the Japanese Army as well

The USA do, they have a greater respect for the soldiers than we do. Some people say their Honour Guards and ceremonies are over the top.

Read the link below on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in America.

https://tombguard.org/tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier/the-tomb-guard/

Back