Are there any 5spd Manual Turbo SH builds on here?

Flacky

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

I have a turbo 08 (MY09) Forester XT with the 5 speed maunal. I have started preparing for a semi off-road build but before I get too far down the track I am worried that I will find difficulties when doing beach work without low range or auto (The extent of my plans - fishing and camping).

I know an auto turbo is ideal and the low range of the NA is the other option, so I am after some confidence from owners of manual turbos with a five speed getting the job done.

Cheers guys,

Flacky

I have a 2000 GT turbo with raised suspension and lift....I've done tens of thousands of km across this great land without low range. It has never stopped me. It may have been a bit inconvenient at times and low range would be nice one day, but with the torque of the turbo (esp with exhaust mods) it plods along nicely.

There are a few manual turbo people here and everyone seems to be happy.

I say go....lift it a bit....install some chunky all terrain tyres....and enjoy!

Gidday Flacky

An air bag compliant sump guard needs to be high on your list. The plastic splash guard won't last five minutes on sand ...

It actually does last ratbag haha, doesn't hang as low on the sh

Thanks Tweaksta and Ratbag. I have a Subaxtreme sump fitted. All I need done is to get some tyres on my 16" rims and be set to head off on my first beach run. I just wanted to get some confidence with the gearbox doing the job.

Will start a build thread on here when I get a chance and her adventure will begin...

Given the standard low range ratio of 1.19 then it does bugger all.
If you want to go low try to obtain a 1.592 LR.
They are very effective.
But with a turbo...would require a very gentle right foot.
All that torque!!!!!

Better designed too, BB! I have compared the ones on our SH and SG.

But still, better that Flacky has something more robust.

True, not often in the age of plastic covers over everything that they're a bit more functional over form :)

Cheers boys will give it a crack

Given the standard low range ratio of 1.19 then it does bugger all.
If you want to go low try to obtain a 1.592 LR.
They are very effective.
But with a turbo...would require a very gentle right foot.
All that torque!!!!!

Debatable. Venom ran his H6 with the L series low range without issues - and I can tell you that there were times he wasn't gentle on the right pedal in low range.

I'd highly recommend fitting extra oil feeders to keep the low range gears lubricated and cool on hill climbs etc.

Cheers

Bennie

Back