5th Jan 2013 Macedon Cruise, VIC

El_Freddo

Forum Member
Car Year
1988, 1990
Car Model
EJ22'd L series; Targa Brumby
Transmission
Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
Saturday the 5th of January saw our little cruise go ahead, we happened to have the weather on our side, a cooler day which was great.

We all met up at the location, unfortunately two late scratchings so we had six cars in total: Kustomchris, bathsoap (new member the night before!), Subaruby, Pezimm, Rodeo4Jake and myself.

As usual I neglected to get a group photo at the meet point... So I got half the group on the dry weather only section of Shannon's lane:

dsc3585cruise.jpg

Shortly after Shannon's lane we made it into the bush to the start of the bush track. Kustomchris's H6 liberty looking mean:

dsc3588cruise.jpg

Subaruby was in his lifted Gen 2 liberty on the first little climb:

dsc3589cruise.jpg

Followed by Bathsoap in his impreza that he'll be looking into lifting at some stage:

dsc3592cruise.jpg

The group on the seasonal track that follows the Macedon Range westish:

dsc3600cruise.jpg

And at the planned destination for lunch - but all we did was talk:

dsc3601cruise.jpg

dsc3604cruise.jpg

Subaruby got some group shots, once again I missed out - too busy chin wagging!

From here we said goodbye to Kustomchris and Bathsoap. Thanks for coming and making the effort guys! It was great to meet you.

Since the day wasn't over after more talk we headed out to the Memorial Cross:

dsc3607cruise.jpg

From here we headed down the southern side of the mountain after scouting out other tracks that were closed. It was a good drive past some fabulous gardens, then onto another area at the base of the mountain that I had forgotten about. I had done some exploring in this area years ago, but I never remember it being this much fun nor having this much variety!

Finally a pic of Pezimm:

dsc3617cruise.jpg

We had some good climbs etc. Pic will tell the story, it was great fun anyway!

dsc3613cruise.jpg

dsc3620cruise.jpg

dsc3625cruise.jpg

dsc3629cruise.jpg

dsc3630cruise.jpg

dsc3633cruise.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This climb was particularly interesting. This is Pezimm going down:

dsc3647cruise.jpg

And Pezimm on his way up:

dsc3650cruise.jpg

dsc3653cruise.jpg

dsc3653cruise.jpg

It was a good climb, I certainly enjoyed it. These next pics of Subaruby and Rodeo4Jake are from the other side, I think they show you just how steep it was:

Subaruby going down:

dsc3655cruise.jpg

Subaruby going up - with the stock liberty 1.19:1 low range - I was impressed!

dsc3657cruise.jpg

Rodeo4Jake doing the same thing:

dsc3661cruise.jpg

dsc3665cruise.jpg

dsc3668cruise.jpg

After all this fun (and more!) we headed for a cool one at the local that just re-opened in June 2012 after being closed for about 5 or 6 years!

dsc3671cruise.jpg

I know I certainly enjoyed the day and didn't realise just how much I have missed/needed to get out again!

Thanks to those that made it, sorry to those that missed it - we'll have to organise another one :D

It was also great to meet some new forum members too!

Cheers

Bennie

Gidday Bennie

This climb was particularly interesting.

Subaruby going down:

. . .

Subaruby going up - with the stock liberty 1.19:1 low range - I was impressed!

Ahem ... :iconwink:
I do keep banging on about the torque curve and the gearing matching each other ... :lol:

I might quote you on that, Bennie ... :rotfl: :lildevil:.
Like Taza discovering that the rear vLSD does actually work ... :ebiggrin:

That "little dip" would have been a whole different kettle of fish had it been wet, I suspect. Easy to get down, and impossible to get out?

Looks as if a good day was had by all.
Good to see the pics, thanks.

Great to see the weather was nice & not too hot for your trip :)

Judging by the pics, it looks like you guys had a great time :)

Love the hill climb & decent pics :raz: They do look nice & steep indeed :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Great trip, spewing I missed it :(

That hill looked like fun & great to see some new faces out & about, plus some I havent seen for ages...oh well, we'll catch up next time...

Interesting to see Subaruby has a new ride :)

Some additional photos:

The group heading out:
IMG_0629.JPG

Where we stopped for a quick lunch:
IMG_0633.JPG

El_Freddo getting to the top of the nice hill:
IMG_0647.JPG

Thanks El_Freddo for organising the cruise! Very nice to catch-up with old friends and meet new people as well.

Until next time!
Pedro.

Ahem ... :iconwink:
I do keep banging on about the torque curve and the gearing matching each other ... :lol:

I might quote you on that, Bennie ... :rotfl: :lildevil:.

Go right ahead. But low range is a completely different kettle of fish. Ruby Scoo who essentially runs the same drivetrain as Subaruby's Liberty in terms of wheels size/diff ratio had an easy time climbing the hill. Had I have stopped I would have had a higher chance of making it up the hill without smoking out my clutch.

Yes you bang on about torque curve and gear matching etc, but in this case you're either out of your league or you've got excited about the chance to pounce :poke: I understand what you say about the gear matching though and it makes sense for subaru to do this in the mass production general consumer ideals - but I don't think we all fit into this category ;)

Judging by the pics, it looks like you guys had a great time :)

Looks like it was a grand day out.

Looks like a fun day had by all.

Yeah we did! Awesome time out. Really, I didn't want to go home - I started pining for another touring trip for a week or two... Not good!

Thanks El_Freddo for organising the cruise! Very nice to catch-up with old friends and meet new people as well.

Always a pleasure Pezimm! You know I love it!

And it was great to catch up with old friends and make some new ones :biggrin:

Cheers

Bennie

Back