Kevin is on a distinguished road

Unread 29th June 2017, 03:41 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Year: 2016
Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
temmah is on a distinguished road

Ground clearance and tires(traction). In my very humble opinion are what makes a car go further off road. I think what makes a Subaru go further is the AWD system, in my un-educated opinion the AWD system find traction better than other AWD systems.
Unread 6th July 2017, 06:29 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2014
Model: xv
Transmission: manual
gregjet is on a distinguished road

The MOST PROBABLE reason is the the sort of person that drives a Subie has no respect for the laws of physics ( like a motard rider...look it up) and has a belief they the car can do pretty much anything any car can do. Confidence fixes everything( well almost).
BTW I also had a 2001 Prado but it was a 2.7L 4cyl with the manual transmission. Reflashed ECU makes a huge difference to the point where it actually beats the 6's and the turbo diesel off the line at the lights up to 60kph. Raised 2" and good springs and shocks, it would go more places than stock landcruiser utes. That particular model has the second lowest low range gear ratio of any wagon. The lowest was the Land Rover Discovery. The constant 4 wheel drive, ability to lock the centre diff and driveability made it VERY capable.

Seriously the fact that any vehicle has CONSTANT 4wd will make the biggest difference overall. A lot of people play heros and drive 2 wheel drive until they get into trouble. Bit late then. A vehicle in 4wd will have cruised through without getting into trouble in the first place.
Unread 16th July 2017, 03:38 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Outback
Transmission: Auto
IASubaru is on a distinguished road
Default What makes a great off road vehicle?

I think that mechanically speaking, vehicles with great traction and tires that are of larger diameter relative to the vehicle's weight will perform well off road. A good torque distribution system is also essential. But, to my way of thinking, a great off road vehicle is responsive to the drivers commands and provides an environment where he can concentrate on the tasks at hand without distraction. A great off road vehicle has to be a real 'driver's car' so that the operator is comfortable behind the wheel. In probably 90% of the off road mishaps I have been involved in, there were driver errors that contributed to the difficult situation - misjudgments of terrain or vehicle momentum, steering errors, etc. An off road vehicle that performs its duties reliably and facilitates the driver's intentions seems to me to be the best at the task.
Unread 5th December 2017, 11:51 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

weight
lift
tires
i think those are main factors. and main reason why i choose subie. well i choose outback for comfort, would take forry too. but that little extra comfort is amazing if you live in 4 season place. you just need heated seats and windows in winter and that climate control in hot summer.
for me my car takes me where i want because : lift and tires. and VDC system which gives me 55/45 even if i turn VDC off that split says same. not like 90/10 in older subaru AWD.
and VDC helps a lot in snow. its just deal braker on snow. if you need go up hill on snow VDC is the thing that brings me up. and fixed gears. newer gens dont have them anymore. i can put on 2nd gear and just go without wheelspin .
bumpers do go in the way a lot. especially rear one.
right tires, agressive tires gives most game changing moments where you can go and where you cant. well where i cant its mostly because of lack of power. anything else i can go there.
weight makes all difference for us subies. heavy car no matter how good 4x4 it sinks. subie dont sink. it just goes on belly sometimes.
Unread 5th December 2017, 01:24 PM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

I agree but just one thing...

VTD is not VDC

If you have a 55/45 torque split, you have VTD (variable torque distribution). Its a planetary differential with 3 clutch plates to "lock" it

VDC (vehicule dynamic control) will help you in case of traction loss through the brakes and ecu.

And you maybe have both systems in your Outback

Last edited by Kevin; 5th December 2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
Unread 5th December 2017, 01:56 PM
Forum Member

So there can be models with VDC but not VTD?
I know i have traction control. I didint had button so i made it. And i know i have rear LSD.
My traction control controls torque as well as its takes power away from engine and makes separate wheels turn as they need.
With vdc off button i have no more traction control meaning i can floor it and it wont control or block separate wheel and dont cuts engine power.
I duno for sure because dont know how else to check but as much as i read about it and as much as people told me that i have those early vdc models with 2.5 engine.
So what you think i have and how to tell more specific ?
And my split must be more to back because its tail happy on snow. For sure there is more going on in rear. I can do donuts in snow or mud easy with vdc off

Last edited by Kevin; 5th December 2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
Unread 5th December 2017, 03:50 PM
Forum Member

There probably are models with VDC but without VTD. I think that most Foresters with 4EAT have an MPT center (multi plate transfer) except the ones with the optional sportshift (VTD)

I don't know how to check physically if you have an MPT or VTD center, maybe with the VIN at a Subaru dealer ?
Unread 5th December 2017, 04:01 PM
Forum Member

But foresters dont have any vdc until like 2009.and since then they have VTD as most subaru models

Last edited by Kevin; 5th December 2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
Unread 5th December 2017, 04:17 PM
Forum Member

Found this list on another forum...you probably have VDC and VTD !

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...tshift-418562/