Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > General Forums > The Relatives

Notices

Old 7th November 2015, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road
Default Renegade Trailhawk

The JEEP Renegade Trailhawk is now in Aussie showrooms....

2.4L engine, 134kW / 237Nm, 1621kg, 9 speed auto, 7.8 litres/100km claimed, 8.4L/100km average (source: caradvice).

Impressive 4wd system, Lo Range, crawler gear, 220mm clearance. Approach, departure and breakover angles are 31 degrees, 34 degrees and 26 degrees respectively.

https://youtu.be/Snvsw5Z8c7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avWFn90D-6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaAPLntPdfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSrXHFSjT40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhmkH89_dcA

Could it be a Subaru beater?
Possibly in an out-of-the-box comparison. However, some of our modded Subies would easily show it a thing or two. Then you have to wonder about reliability. I wonder how these things will be going in 15 years with 200,000km on them. Surely not as well as well as some of ours.

I still kinda like it though.
I'd love to see an off road comparison with a Forester.
Old 7th November 2015, 01:45 AM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Well, I would say reliability comes first. I go to remote areas with kids and no other cars, so a Jeep is very much out of the question. I cannot trust a Jeep. Their vehicles have a tendency to die during off-road tests conducted by magazines (happened both to the current Grand Cherokee and to the Cherokee). I know, pre-production and early production quirks and all, but it does not inspire confidence. Second, their reliability ratings are nowhere Subaru's.

In fact, if I recall correctly, the latest US rankings from CR have Jeep second to last (Fiat) with Subaru fifth overall. The reliability rankings of 2009+ Subarus are excellent, which was not the case of the pre-2009 models.

Thus the off-road features are irrelevant to me. Then there is the size problem of the Renegade, far too small.

Now, leaving that aside, it must be mentioned that this does NOT have Jeep's signature 4x4 system which is found on the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4.

It does simulate low range etc and I am sure it will defeat any Subaru on a tougher trail, but 1/ I am pretty sure this does not have a transfer case and with a heavy reliance on electronics and a Jeep reputation for lack of reliability....and 2/this is certainly not nearly as capable as a Wrangler.

Bottom line: as far as I am concerned, I would rather get a Subaru or get a proven, traditional 4x4 systems. No Subaru can argue with Jeep's quadradrive 4x4 system, not in the wildest dreams of its most fervent supporters and I do not care how many mods the Subaru has: it stands no chance. However, there is a lot more to a vehicle than the 4x4/AWD system.

The only SUVs on sale in the US in 2016 I would trust off-road as an overall package are the Toyota 4Runner Trail/TRD and the Jeep Wrangler, this one with some hesitation. That's all that is left. All others are Land Rover models which are known for problems and the upper levels of the Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, and now this Renegade, which I do not trust. Nissan just left the true 4x4 segment here.

The traditional Jeep crowd in the US cannot stand the current Cherokee and will not accept the Renegade either.

In the US I am sure that the hard-core group will remain Wrangler focused, then Toyota trucks will remain next.

Conversely, those who would shop for a Subaru would not care for this Trailhawk's offroad ability.
Old 7th November 2015, 01:56 AM

As for a comparison, in stock form, which also means stock tires, I am sure a Forester will be easily defeated by this Renegade Trailhawk.

For all their nightmare reliability reputation, Jeep understands off-road like no other brand (well, ok, Land Rover) and they actually test the off-road trims of their vehicles in stock form over terrain where no one would take a stock Subie. I think they take them all over the Rubicon trail.

Then, again, a toy is one thing, a car or an overland vehicle, quite another.
Old 7th November 2015, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post

In fact, if I recall correctly, the latest US rankings from CR have Jeep second to last (Fiat) with Subaru fifth overall. The reliability rankings of 2009+ Subarus are excellent, which was not the case of the pre-2009 models.
I agree about Subaru reliability, except that ...

For much more than 20 years, I have kept an eye on a variety of reliability rankings and surveys. Seems to me that Subaru vehicles of all descriptions have reliably rated in the top sections of all of these lists, regardless of country. Subaru certainly rates very highly here in Oz, and this country is not known for being easy on vehicles!

Maybe the USA is different, but I am sure that many of these lists originated there as well. So I would extend your comment to pre-2009 Subarus as well ...
Old 7th November 2015, 02:21 AM

The one thing that ruined those ratings is...you know which one. The good news there, of course, is that it was not the kind of problem that would strand you in the middle of nowhere.
Old 7th November 2015, 02:32 AM
Administrator

^ the 2010 FB engine ... ? Ten year warranty on this problem, same as on the EJ-251 head gasket problem ...
Old 7th November 2015, 06:15 AM

Year: 2006
Model: SG Forester XS
Transmission: 1.447 Low SG Manual
Red XS is on a distinguished road

Once upon a time all Jeeps had to be able to do the Rubicon trail in stock form, however recently they changed their minds and only the "offroad" Jeeps have to be capable of completing the trail in stock form. Last I read the Renegade has not done the Rubicon trail and they are not actually trying to sell the Renegade as a true offroader.
Old 7th November 2015, 07:32 AM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Here's a comparison with the Subaru XV vs Jeep Renegade

http://expeditionportal.com/head-to-...ade-trailhawk/
Old 7th November 2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
Here's a comparison with the Subaru XV vs Jeep Renegade

http://expeditionportal.com/head-to-...ade-trailhawk/
Many thanks for this, a nice read!

Basically, it confirms my expectations.

The one thing that SHOCKED me is that they actually took the XV all the way up Engineer and Cinnamon Passes! Whoa! This is real testing. These are moderate trails and, frankly, I am thrilled the XV made it all the way up with the little naturally aspirated engine and no low range. As they say, it was almost defeated, but it made it! But I think those putting larger tires on n/a H4s would be in for a bad surprise.

I cannot agree more with the article. The one MASSIVE limitation of the XV is its approach angle, which is same as mine (ok, mine is 1-1.5 deg better after mods, not that this changes anything).

I also agree that Jeep will sell a great many 2wd or base trim Renegades. The off-road crowd will get the JK anyway. The Renegade should rightfully poach a few outdoors-minded people from Subaru, as some trail-heads are on really rough access roads and not everyone wants to mod a car or even change tires, but probably not many.
Old 7th November 2015, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Thanks for that link, JF.

I think I saw one of these on the road yesterday, Very brand new, with a very nervous, new car driver ... . We have all been there, done that ! Looked to be a nicer looking car in the flesh than it looks in the link.

What surprised me was the necessity to turn the Jeep air conditioning off manually when under stress. Even my 2006 Forester turns the compressor off when the engine does anything out of the ordinary. Very useful feature IMO. I used to do this manually with my 1.8L Impreza - it needed every bit of help it could get . Not unlike the 2.0L XV, from what I can see of its weight, and serious lack of power/torque.

Love the 'proper' design of the front of the Jeep. Far better approach angle than the XV (or our SH, FTM!). I do not understand why Subaru cannot do better than they do with the approach and departure angles. I have hung Roo2 up only once, but the approach angle with the standard front bar was nowhere near as good as it could have been. The SubaXtreme front bar helps this a lot.

Jeep just has to regain its quality control and general build quality. The specs and design of their vehicles makes them very fit for purpose, but they are apparently let down badly in the quality stakes ...