Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road
Default An alternative to a dedicated CEL code scanner

Gidday Folks

As mentioned here:

http://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=5896

I ordered a cheap, knock-off Bluetooth scanner to use in both our cars.

This one arrived on Christmas Eve:

http://www.banggood.com/V2_1-Super-M...-p-951062.html

This reader from Banggood cost AUD$11.83 total, including the AUD$1.60 airmail postage, and appears to work properly in both our SG (series II) and SH (series I). The former is straight OBDII, and I understand that the latter is OBDII and CAN-BUS, so the cars are slightly different from each other.

This company sells a lot of these that all look very similar to each other, but are subtly different. The above one is v.2.1 of their product, and supports both OBDII and OBDII over CAN-BUS.

I downloaded the Torque Pro (free) s/w from Google Play Store and installed it on my tablet. The initial Bluetooth pairing and working went quickly and easily. Apart from the fact that nowhere is it mentioned that the dongle's Bluetooth pairing code is "1234". I worked this out, after trying the other common code, "0000" ...

After removing and refitting the dongle, there was some kind of problem with the communication between the dongle and the tablet. It appears that I had not quite fully inserted the dongle into the OBDII socket in the SG. The SG has a shroud around the socket that makes fitting and removing the dongle difficult - think in terms of large needle-nose pliers!

The plug in the SH is not shrouded, but quite exposed, so it is very easy to remove and re-fit. Maybe I'll just lash out and buy a dedicated dongle for it. At this price, it's hardly even worth the hassle of removing the dongle from the SG once more ...

I should mention that this dongle fits completely within the shrouded hole in the SG steering column cover. So completely that one needs the abovementioned needle nose pliers to remove it!

Secondly, do NOT use the bundled s/w. My anti-virus s/w had a conniption fit even thinking about looking at it!
Besides, Torque Pro (free) does most things, and I will spring the AUD$4.95 to buy the full version.

Having a scan tool permanently installed in both cars at a cost of less than $30, delivered, is very enticing ... .

The Torque Pro s/w is not very intuitive initially, but once one realises that one needs to press and hold the screen to add or move/delete items, it is easy to use. Some items offer both a dial or display, but do not necessarily work well if the wrong type is selected - e.g. Litres/100 Kms only works as a display, not as a dial - etc.

There are 7 pages of screens available to be set up as one desires.

Fault codes are accessed via the s/w menu system. It will display Logged faults, Pending faults and Historic faults, and gives the option to clear logged fault(s).

Some items (e.g. ambient temperature) work in the SH, but not in the SG. Both have ambient temperature displays in the dash, so a bit strange.

I will add anything else I think of as I go along ... .
Unread 25th December 2014, 09:41 PM
Administrator

BTW, it's worth repeating what Kevin has said that some codes clear themselves after a certain number of re-starts.

Also that these little tools are as essential to have with any modern car as a shifting spanner and screwdriver were in the olden days (and still are today ... ).

However, neither the entry level scan tool nor the shifting spanner and screwdriver are meant to be any kind of replacement for a good mechanic with a fully equipped workshop and a professional workshop code scanner!

It is a patent nonsense to suggest that an amateur using the above can be any kind of replacement for a mechanic with a full set of workshop tools and a professional scan tool costing thousands of dollars.

It should also be mentioned that said mechanic has also paid for the lists of proprietary codes that even OBDII compliant manufacturers seem to love putting into their ECUs ...
Unread 25th December 2014, 11:52 PM
Forum Member

taza is on a distinguished road

I have access to a few business trade grade scan tools which do the job for me. I also have an Ultra Gauge which is handy to have as its very portable.
planning to purchase a Hannahtec scantool myself when the bank account allows. This will assist me both personally and professionaly.
Unread 26th December 2014, 01:55 AM
Administrator

^ Handy ... .

Another small 'wrinkle' I think I've discovered is that the dongle and the reader device can only pair when the ignition is completely off. Not sure about this, but this happened to me today when pairing my phone with the dongle.

It might just be a bug in the free version of the s/w. I am not planning on installing the paid version until I have sorted out the tablet's microSD card problem with HP.
Unread 26th December 2014, 09:16 PM

subyroo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by taza View Post
I have access to a few business trade grade scan tools which do the job for me. I also have an Ultra Gauge which is handy to have as its very portable.
planning to purchase a Hannahtec scantool myself when the bank account allows. This will assist me both personally and professionaly.
I had an Ultra Gauge in my 2003 XS Forester and loved it, I took it out when I gave the car to my daughter, The Minister for War & Finance would go ape if I put it in our new CRV.
Unread 27th December 2014, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Gidday Peter

It would seem that the path I have followed (with a LOT of help and info from others, here and elsewhere) would probably suit both you and the Minister for Internal and External Affairs ... .
Unread 16th January 2015, 10:47 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2003
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Fazed is on a distinguished road

Just bought one of these from an ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261648899...84.m1439.l2649

Can't wait for it to arrive and have a play.
Unread 17th January 2015, 01:17 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Year: MY05
Model: Forester
Transmission: XT lux manual
lefty is on a distinguished road

I have been using this for a few years now and run Torque Lite. It's a bit bigger which makes it easy to pull out in the SG foz. I don't leave it plugged in permanently because the LED lights up even if the car is off, so it will eventually drain the car battery (will probably take a long time though)

Unread 17th January 2015, 05:38 AM
Administrator

^ I think that's the answer, Lefty.

It seems that the OBD port is constantly on with our Subies. The adapter cannot be found by torque unless the adapter is switched off with the ignition, and it isn't!

Maybe I'll put the short one in the SH (no shroud) and buy a longer one for my SG.

Probably easier to just change the power going to the OBD port so that it is switched through the ignition switch. IF I only knew how to do this ... .
Unread 19th January 2015, 06:02 PM
Forum Member

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

Google obdii pin out and switch the 12v with an acc power from your ciglighter or uhf.

Edit: second thoughts might be easier to negatively switch it,

Last edited by idw; 19th January 2015 at 06:07 PM.

Tags
obd ii, obd2, obdii, scan tool alternative, scangauge, ultragauge, workshop scan tool