Twinklz is on a distinguished road

I quite like the D-MAX, will be interested to see how they hold their re-sale
Unread 18th September 2014, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Spot Tracker conversation moved here: http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=5745
Unread 18th September 2014, 08:17 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Transmission: Manual
silver is on a distinguished road

From what I could see looking through Gumtree, Carsales etc all of the 4x4 utes hold their resale value pretty good. They are a good portion of the market and good clean examples always seem to have a good price attached to them.
The 'pay more, get less' Toyota people used to make me angry with their stupid comments like 'you might pay more but you will get more when you sell it'. My comment was that if I pay more I would EXPECT to get more when I sell it. If you sit down and work out the maths Toyotas are not really good value. They generally cost about $10,000 more than an equal ute. They are advertising the SR5 dual cab right now at almost $49,000 drive away...mind you...that is what they call a 'deal'. Dmax are advertising a low spec dual cab for $38k drive away with $1,500 free stuff. It has almost everything the SR5 has and you could nock at least $1k of the price with some hard bargaining. I had 3 dealers wanting to sell me the car. I will say that I think the Toyota is better inside but the Dmax is updating each year. The Isuzu dealer told me they are getting more dealers all the time so that's a good thing. I also get 5 year or 130k warranty with full roadside assist. Makes Toyota look sick in my opinion.
Most of the modern utes will do everything a Hilux can do and are just as reliable. The only advantage of a Toyota is they are everywhere. That's it.
Unread 19th October 2014, 08:12 PM
Forum Member

A bit of an update. Nothing on the delivery front as yet. Around 7 weeks to go.
I have, however, got the towbar...all nuts, bolts, wiring loom and tow ball for $50...nice .
I also got 4 more alloys with tyres for $400. I am going to go with the alloys all round for on and off road. I'll probably fit 245/75/17 Toyo Open Country 2s for the off road stuff and use the tyres that are on the OEM rims for onroad. I'll sell the steelies if I can. Quite a few farmers around here are using the Dmax now. Also the local council has just started getting the spacecab in and Essential Energy has a few.
5 alloys at my mates place in Vic and 4 at my sons place in Qld...i'll just have to go for a drive I guess!!
The local ARB guy came up with an OK price for an ARB steel bar and Safari snorkus and is letting me pay it off. It's up there waiting for me. Before the 28th of Novemeber I will also order an ARB rear diff lock with the compressor that also does your tyres. It is around $300 off until that date.
I'll have the goodies and can than just budget for the fitting costs. Slowly,slowly...as long as it is all together by mid June I will be happy.
Next month I am going to the Batemans Bay 4bie show. The fellow that makes the slide on camper I will be getting will be there and I am going to leave a deposit so I can book a slot in May for him to start making it.
Funny enough he bought a Dmax spacecab earlier this year so this pic is exactly how my setup will look except my ute will have all the bells and whistles.
http://traytopcampers.com/photo-gallery/
The top 4 pics.
Unread 19th October 2014, 09:51 PM
Administrator

All coming together - very good. You may want to check bull bar compliance with ARB re this thread here: http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread...0448#post80448
Unread 20th October 2014, 12:40 AM
Forum Member

I'll check up but I would imagine ARB are well aware of this and up to date with the regs. Anyway, i'll ask. It will be good to see some of the stupid and dangerous bars off the road in my opinion. I hope they do police it.
Unread 20th October 2014, 08:52 PM
Forum Member

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

I was looking at dmax while waiting for a car to be serviced at Melton Suzuki. Was quite impressed with the price and features especially compared to the hilux. I'm meaning to go back for a test drive of the mu.
Unread 21st October 2014, 01:44 AM
Forum Member

I reckon the price of a Dmax compared to a Hilux a no brainer. The new Hilux next year might be a different ballgame but you will still pay the Toyota tax and the new Navara and Triton will be around. Because the Dmax is still relatively new it would not need much of an upgrade to compete with them.
The Mux is good value considering a Prado starts at almost $64k. I reckon the Prado is a step above the Mux inside and probably ride refinement and I would wait for the first upgrade at least before I got a Mux. Still, they are capable and good value.
Unread 10th November 2014, 08:18 PM
Forum Member

Slowly, slowly. No news on the Dmax yet but Dec 14th is just around the corner. I'm happy if it doesn't come until next year if it meant getting 2015 plates but I don't really care.
Went to a Caravan and Camping show at Batemans Bay last Friday and of course HAD to spend money I don't have getting a few deals.
Bought a ARB recovery kit, a GME TX3120s UHF radio with bonus 2w TX670 handheld and a AE4018K1 aerial to suit. This aerial is a 'multi purpose' one I guess you would say. I told the GME guy I wanted the smallest, most powerful easiest to use radio and an aerial that will work around hills but still be OK out west. read the instructions on the radio and put the book down totally baffled!! Duplex,Simplex, voice scramble, blah, blah!! Hate to think what a 'complicated radio would involve!!
Also got a twin pack of Wurton 4x5w LED Cube lights. 1850 lumens each. These will be for the tray at the rear for night time parking in the bush.
While I was at it...got a set of Maxtrax 1150mm...may as well!
I also got the 3t towbar delivered to me. Complete with all nuts and bolts and a brand new TJM wiring loom. At $50..my best buy yet
So I now have the above plus 5 alloys in Vic and 4 alloys in Qld, a KORR light bar and am paying off the ARB bar, rear diff lock and Safari snorkel.
I also put a deposit on a slide on camper which will be started in May for delivery in June.
The fellow that makes them has the same ute I am getting except mine will look 'tougher' with all the goodies on it. The top 4 pics will be my set up.
http://traytopcampers.com/photo-gallery/
I've got lots of goodies...just need something to put them all on.
Unread 10th November 2014, 09:43 PM
Administrator

^ and a lotto win to pay for it all!!
Sounds like a great days shopping!