OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Camping and Cooking

Notices

Unread 9th July 2013, 09:25 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Forester S
Transmission: Auto
Gravel_Rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
^ now that is quality postin'
Wow, Thanks! I was concerned that it was too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minas01 View Post
Gravel_Rocks, How do you find those Husky's you have? Those limbing saws are great too!
Like someone said, the Huskys are a notch below Stihl and Echo for the professional user. To me the Huskies fit and finish, the plastic just looks cheaper and it appears to not be quite as heavy duty overall compared to the other 2 brands. I worked for HuskyPower in the mid-'80s, the sole importer for parts from the manufacturer in Sweden to the US. I was pulling parts to be shipped to saw shops etc. and became very familiar with each model of saw and it's components, very interesting job. Sadly the company has changed and offers what seems like a cheaper made saw. I say "it seems" because my Husqavarna saws perform just as they should every time I grab one. While in WV last weekend the 455 got a workout, and did great, making my driveway a little wider.
If $$ were no issue, I'd like to have a new Stihl. But it is!
I've got a buddy that's a hobbyist wood carver using saws, Stihl is his choice.
He had multiple issues with the Husky safety on the handle.

Any brand can have it own problems, which is why it's important to use a new saw a decent amount while it's still under warranty. If there's a weakness hopefully it'd show itself.
Thanks, I love my little saws.
Unread 11th July 2013, 12:49 PM
Forum Member

mikesforester is on a distinguished road

I usually cut 10 - 15 cubic meters of wood a year for my wood burning stove and other uses. I have owned a fair few chainsaws over the years but I have to say my current favorite is a small 31cc Echo, light and yet pretty powerful for its size. The vibration damping system on this little beast is very effective. I have used this little saw for hours at a time, and have used it to carve up big Eucalyptus trees when we had some serious wind last year. Its light weight and effective damping system saves on fatigue and therefore a safer working environment. Just have a couple of spare, sharpened chains and this little saw will surprise you at what it can handle.
Unread 11th July 2013, 08:38 PM
Forum Member

minas01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesforester View Post
I usually cut 10 - 15 cubic meters of wood a year for my wood burning stove and other uses. I have owned a fair few chainsaws over the years but I have to say my current favorite is a small 31cc Echo, light and yet pretty powerful for its size. The vibration damping system on this little beast is very effective. I have used this little saw for hours at a time, and have used it to carve up big Eucalyptus trees when we had some serious wind last year. Its light weight and effective damping system saves on fatigue and therefore a safer working environment. Just have a couple of spare, sharpened chains and this little saw will surprise you at what it can handle.
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-310

Thanks for that I will definitely have a closer look at that one. Seems to be priced in between the Husky and the Sthil.
Unread 12th July 2013, 08:07 AM
Forum Member

thunder039 is on a distinguished road

i use chainsaws a lot, (living in country vic our only source of heat is wood heater) and stihl are worth every penny cant beat them. if you cant afford one get a husky there just as good and a little cheaper.
the main thing for me is to get one with the inertia kick back (look in to it). may save your life and the cheap ones don't have it so its worth the extra $$$
Unread 12th July 2013, 03:59 PM
Forum Member

mikesforester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minas01 View Post
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-310

Thanks for that I will definitely have a closer look at that one. Seems to be priced in between the Husky and the Sthil.
Yep thats the one, great little saw. It seems Gravel_rocks has one in his arsenal as well

Last edited by mikesforester; 12th July 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Unread 12th July 2013, 11:50 PM

Tannin is on a distinguished road

This is well worth reading before you buy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainsaw_safety_features
Unread 14th July 2013, 03:28 AM
Forum Member

Biesel is on a distinguished road

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-CS33ET14-14-Inch-2-Stroke-Compliant/dp/B003JTGNNC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
This one looks OK, I know the top handle saws aren't as safe but I doubt most would have trouble handling that little thing. The size saving is worth it just for a camp saw I reckon.
Not sure about Hitachi saws though didn't know they made them till I found that I know their power tools are highly regarded though. 7 years warranty though can't be to bad.
Unread 14th July 2013, 11:39 AM
Forum Member

dajeepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesel View Post
Amazon.com : Hitachi CS33ET14 14-Inch 32cc 2-Stroke Gas Powered Top Handle Chain Saw (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This one looks OK, I know the top handle saws aren't as safe but I doubt most would have trouble handling that little thing. The size saving is worth it just for a camp saw I reckon.
Not sure about Hitachi saws though didn't know they made them till I found that I know their power tools are highly regarded though. 7 years warranty though can't be to bad.
If the weight is correct... 13lbs is pretty heavy for a small saw.
Unread 24th July 2013, 05:08 AM
Forum Member

Dippa is on a distinguished road

I live in a logging community, and regularly talk to professional loggers and the only saw they use are stihls, I have had an 046 magnum for close to fifteen years, it has been used to cut firewood for three households for half of that time as well as a slabbing saw with a 25" bar on it (I make furniture)and it has never missed a beat, ever, though I do service it and keep it spotlessly clean around the air filters etc, for my money they're the best saw on the market
Unread 31st July 2013, 02:19 AM
on sabbatical

PigSti is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I've got a Stihl and have had it for almost 25 years continuous 100% service but it has been stored for the past 12 months with full tank and now won't start! Checked everything but no go, what could it be?

Going to air torque wrench run it for a few minutes if all else fails, hopefully that will clear what ever it is but any thoughts?